Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaten by own stupidity - How often does it happen to you?

Options
  • 01-02-2005 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Earlier yesterday I won a Satelite Tournemant and a ticket for the 7.5 K Tournament (final pot 11500 USD) on Paddypower last night, and was struggeling a bit at the beginning.

But after a while I upped my stack size with some decent cards, and some good moves.

After the rebuy period I was in a decent situation, and moved up all the time. Soon I had made it into the paying ranks (27).

Some people got eliminated, and there were 19 left, and 1 minutes to the next break. That meant I was only a minute away from the next higher money level. Overall I had about the 4th or 5th highest stack size.

But then I must have had the weirdest blackout ever. I got dealt KT of spades. Beside me was sitting another guy with a similar stack. He was on the BB. I called the BB, and the flop brought A J 2... all black. I could have sworn they were all spades.

Happy to see my flush I just checked. He raised a bit, and I just flat called. The Turn brought a 7h. I made a small bet, he raised, and I went just all in. In the moment I had pressed the Bet Button I saw that the 2 from the flop was a club and no spade. He of course called, and turned over J7.

So I needed a Spade or a king to get out of the mess, but of course it didn`t happen, and I went out 19th with 145 USD.

I could have kicked myself... and still do.

Did this kind of stuff ever happen to one of you ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Not really. I did squeeze out a four one and thought it was an ace but the bet got through.

If you had the KJ of spades though and a J came on the flop I would be very worried about your made flush :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

careca wrote:
    Not really. I did squeeze out a four one and thought it was an ace but the bet got through.

If you had the KJ of spades though and a J came on the flop I would be very worried about your made flush :D

U r right... *hehe* Should have been KT..

That reminds me of another question... why do these bigger tournies have to run at 9.45. That quite late, almost 11pm on the continent, but still too early for the states. Wouldn`t it make more sense to put them, on at 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah I had a blackout like that last night. I couldn't believe I wasn't seeing the cards correctly - think I was just excited at how well I was doing to stay in the competition so long.

I was sitting with pocket tens, and the flop came up with I think J69. So I bet into this and he called. Next comes up a blank, we both check. River brings another 6. I bet in high to this, and he re-raises. I call. He turns up a third 6.

I was sitting thinking to myself i've won.....cause I thought for some reason I was sitting with pocket 9's. I dunno why in my mind this switched, but I went from about 3000 down to 900 of a stack. Thankfully I crawled back up to last for about another hour or so, but it nearly put me out.

Had the same the other day as well when I thought the flop brought up 3 spades when I had Ax suited. I bet in heavily to realise at the end one of the first cards was a club. I think I just get caught up in the moment, and get card blindness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Some of the poker clients (Ladbrokes/Party Poker?) allow you to select an option to display each of the suits in a different colour. Might help you avoid these probs in the future...

Now, if I could just learn to fold my AJ to an AK, I'd be happy.. That's my self-beat stupidity. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I once called an all-in with 9 high, thinking I had made bottom straight. He had a pair of ducks to take it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

VC tell you what your best hand is as well, very useful after going goggled eyed from playing for so long!

I went all-in on a Q high thinking I had the top straight one night, luckily enough everyone else folded and I won $50 or $60, something like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I got confused on Party poker once and folded a set of 7's in a $100 mtt. That mistake cost me between 1 and 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

All the time. On Sunday night I was sure I had a Q-high straight. But I was missing a card. I kept on betting and of course lost it to Marq who did in fact have a straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

i almost folded the nuts (a A high flush) once in a sng in the fitz..on 4th street i made a raise which i thought was a bluff raise, my oppionent called.
    on the river i checked, happy that i was beat. when the other fella checked too, i, quickly showed my hand whist throwing it away (not wanting to show the hand i tried to bluff with)...somebody pointed out i had the nuts..somebody else wondered if i was going to play in the cash game later :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

All the time. On Sunday night I was sure I had a Q-high straight. But I was missing a card. I kept on betting and of course lost it to Marq who did in fact have a straight.

strangest hand ever. makes up for when you told joe o neill that you needed a ten to win the hand. in fact you needed a ten and a jack to win the hand. turn: ten, river: jack.

That shít's not right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement