Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotel Rip Off

• 01-02-2005 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am to attend a function room event in the coming weeks and need an internet connection. Wireless/Broadband will cost €110 to use in the function room! That's just crazy! Is there any way around this? Any other methods of connecting whilst in the hotel? I was thinking mobile phone connection but would this be much cheaper (if even cheaper?)

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

if its the eircom wireless.
    you can buy a monthly subscription for 66eu.
    that would be cheaper than buying 3 or 4 days regular access [not sure if theres a minimum term tho]

if not your probably talking about the hotels private network,
    perhaps you could split the cost with another atendee and share the lgoin, dont know if that would work either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think it's there own,
    they have wired too, the price is for us to access it in the function room and I would be the only one needing it:(

do you know anything about mobile connections/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

how much data do u want to send?mobiles are slow about 1/5 speed of dial up so figure 13p-15p per minute on this.

1/5 the speed of dial up :eek:

Date being sent isn't that big I wouldn't think, but how long will I'll be using it for is the question, that I don't know.

I'm going to feel sick handing over €110 for use of their broadband, unless there is an eircom phone box outside and the signal is strong enough to get in :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cormie wrote:
    Hi,
    I am to attend a function room event in the coming weeks and need an internet connection. Wireless/Broadband will cost €110 to use in the function room! That's just crazy! Is there any way around this? Any other methods of connecting whilst in the hotel? I was thinking mobile phone connection but would this be much cheaper (if even cheaper?)

thanks!
    The classic quote here is that a BB connection and a wireless router costs less than cleaning the toilets. - Get a price for BB for Business customers , then get a price from Komplett for a wireless router and kick up stink with the hotel along the lines of - "you are trying to charge me 20% of the annual setup and running cost for a few hours usage ! - if they mention a higher cost then you could counter with so you are charging this much to pay for a billing system that is so expensive no one wants to use your service "

Where is the Hotel located ? - if you can connect to a wireless network that might be an option - though I'd reckon the Hotel would get snotty about you setting up a temporary mast in the car park. Do you know anyone locally who could beam a wireless signal into the hotel - would have to have line of sight to one of the windows in the function room. If you can't pick up any AP's on 2.4GHz and know anyone who is a wireless BB customer then you could borrow thier client device if there is coverage eg: 5.8/3.5GHz thingies

You could ask the hotel for a telephone line and find out how much they charge for calls - if the hotel is "modern" then they might have an ISDN line available - in which case all you need to do is to borrow an wireless ISDN router. You could setup an account for a freephone number so there is no call charge from the hotel ;)

If you have to settle for mobile the someone should be able to tell you about GPRS / prepaid minutes to get the best deal / speed - check with your account manager about if you are still on 9.6K or can upgrade to 44K .

Mobile + one way satellite is another option (uplink with phone) if you need to download wads and don't want to get screwed by the phone company charges. there is the problem of running the cable to the LNB in the carpark and orientation may be impossible - but explore all avenues first.

• Advertisement

I'm not confused at all, I swear :eek:
    haha.

The Hotel is on O'Connell street. I don't know anyone around there who would have a connection. I suppose we wouldn't need broadband, but then again, we will need 2 laptops connected to the net so I think we would need 2 lines unless we use wireless. We need the connection in the actual function room.

So are you saying to ring up o2 and talk to someone about GPRS connectivity? How much do you reckon that would be for say 2 hours to have 2 laptops connected?

Thanks for your help:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

cormie wrote:
    1/5 the speed of dial up :eek:

Date being sent isn't that big I wouldn't think, but how long will I'll be using it for is the question, that I don't know.

I'm going to feel sick handing over €110 for use of their broadband, unless there is an eircom phone box outside and the signal is strong enough to get in :rolleyes:

There are 3 wireless enabled boxes on O'Connell Street

Outside Hammam Buildings, Outside Garda Station and Outside old eircom store.
    Maybe you could set up some sort of relay?

Interesting, how would I do that? :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is this another Cormie laptop related thread? :)

:D not really. Although I will be using my new laptop! I wouldn't count it as one though. So yeah, this relay option. I'm all ears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i stayed in bewleys in newlands cross this week and O2 wireless access was 10 euro for 1 hour or 20 euro for 24 hours . got speeds of 1.5 to 2 megs per sec. not too shabby !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

Does the function room have a window
    looking out onto O'Connell St ?

Do you know what room it is, and what windows it has ?

No I don't know what the function room will be like:( What's this O2 wireless? Does the hotel supply it or does o2 supply it? Could I ring up o2 and ask for 2 hours wireless and get it no matter where I am? Is it the same signals that mobile phones use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's a wifi internet access point. there are quite a few of them around and about.

you need a wifi enabled laptop or a wifi card for the laptop and then you just need to find out who's got public connections that are within range.

your best bet would be something that allows you to attach an external antenna, but you might get a strong enough signal without. best way to check would be to ask to see the conference room a day or so before, and nip in there with your laptop and scan for wifi networks. most public ones will have a name, and when you try and connect will direct you to a page that allows you to sign up or at least find out where to get credit for it.

then you just get some credit (usually they'll tell you where and how on the web page) and you're all set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

cormie wrote:
    Hi,

thanks!

find another hotel and vote with ur feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

just get a nice highish wattage 802.11g card and you will connect to the eircom w/less down the road cheaper, or mabye another business'es for free!

thanks for the tips!

I think I may ask to have a preview of the conference room and go in with my laptop to take a few noted in notepad and have a look to see if there is a wireless signal;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Hi Cormie,

Just reading your comments in the forum. Sounds pretty expensive. There's only three Hotels on O'Connell street AFAIK. Which one is attempting to charge €110.00 for internet? Ask them how they can justify this cost.

If you are in the area, the Academy Hotel, opposite the Catering college on Cathal Brugha Street have free wireless access and if requested wired access. Let me know if this is of use to you.

Kind regards,
    Peter

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

kylemore on o connell street have wireless for free for 1/2 an hour if you buy somthing,

just keep buying biscuts and getting a new voucher every time, then credit the bit-buz account.....

JOe

Advertisement