Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.out.ie

Options
  • 01-02-2005 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

There are changes afoot at www.pinkchat.org!
    PinkChat is a great name - but perhaps a little generic, what with it being a chat thing about pink stuff.....

Anyways........ I'm proud to announce that I have obtained the domain OUT.ie and will be renaming the forums accordingly over the coming days. Nothing is going to change much initially, apart from the livery, and the titles.

OUT.ie will aim to be a new departure for LGBT media. I'll post more info soon.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I often wondered why pink is associated with gay men, care to elaborate? I mean isn't just panderign to a streotype? The only men I know of, that wear pink these days are well off "office management / power suit wearing" types. which I suppose is a streotype, but not specificall one to do with sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

If I recall correctly, the Nazi's forced gay people in concentration camps to wear the pink triangle, in a similar manner to the star of David for jewish people. I don't know if the association of homosexuality with the colour pink predates this time, but I think this usage engrained it into the collective consciousness of people.

On another note, this thread belongs in the "useful links" sticky. I'm too lazy to split and move it, but just remember that if informing people of a particular group or organisation, the place to do so is that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Boston wrote:
    I often wondered why pink is associated with gay men, care to elaborate? I mean isn't just panderign to a streotype? The only men I know of, that wear pink these days are well off "office management / power suit wearing" types. which I suppose is a streotype, but not specificall one to do with sexuality.

I always thought it was because pink was a traditional girls colour - "Boys wear blue, girls wear pink".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

swiss wrote:
    If I recall correctly, the Nazi's forced gay people in concentration camps to wear the pink triangle, in a similar manner to the star of David for jewish people. I don't know if the association of homosexuality with the colour pink predates this time, but I think this usage engrained it into the collective consciousness of people..

On that note, there is an amazing movie about homosexuals in Nazi germany & concentration camps, named "BENT"

ANYONE, GAY OR NOT, needs to watch it, amazing movie. About a vital and ofter overlooked part of our history.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

This might help - http://myweb.lsbu.ac.uk/~stafflag/pinktriangle.html

and this -

Pink is also associated with homosexuals, often in the form of a pink triangle. This symbolic usage stems from the symbols used by the Nazis to label their prisoners in the concentration camps http://www.pink-triangle.org/ptps/symbol.html. Where Jews were forced to wear the familiar yellow stars of David, convicted homosexual men were forced to wear a pink triangle. Nowadays, it is often worn with pride. A Dutch newsgroup about homosexuality is called nl.roze, roze being Dutch for pink.

• Advertisement
Advertisement