Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ordering Parts (Punto)

Options
  • 01-02-2005 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Basicly I'm having a problem with my '00 Punto

The link between the wiper arm and the driving shaft of the wiper motor has seperated. I can snap it back together but it doesnt hold tight and comes off in a matter of second once the wipers are turned on. I have a temporary fix inplace, by keeping the linkage held with electrical tape. Not pleasent but it works.

At first I thought it would be an easy job to sort out and brought it to a local garage. But they informed me (and I later confirmed this with a fiat dealer) that the linkage cant be fixed it has to be replaced, but the wiper system for puntos comes as one entired unit (motor/link/arms) and the whole thing would have to be replaced. Stupid design if you ask me but there you go.

So now what is a simple problem is going to cost me. The local garage quoted me €280 parts and labour and the Fiat garage quoted approx €225.

I've been having a look around and although i dont think it would be the easiest of jobs, I feel that I may be able to do the repare myself. But I'm wondering where I can order the part from? Would i have to go through the Fiat garage? I have a feeling I might be able to get it cheaper somewhere.

Has anyone has this problem before or can offer and solutions / name suppliers? Im based in Dublin.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

http://www.shop4parts.co.uk/

A lot cheaper than the fiat stealers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

fornow wrote:
    Has anyone has this problem before or can offer and solutions / name suppliers? Im based in Dublin.

Kevin

Best bet is to go down the scrap yards to try get one from a crashed Punto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Is it your rear wiper? If so, pull the fker out and smooth over the hole with some filler, sand 'im down lots and repeat. Then paint him up. Maybe E50 worth of work there and a much nicer arse end.

If it's the front, Sweeney and Forte on the Howth Road were really helpful to me when I had some FIAT related problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

fornow wrote:

The link between the wiper arm and the driving shaft of the wiper motor has seperated. I can snap it back together but it doesnt hold tight and comes off in a matter of second once the wipers are turned on. ......

Kevin

Scrap yard is a good start, bar that.....
    Is this a ball and socket joint (hip joint)?. If so and depending on your personal modification skills or machine shops available to you.

You can get industrial strength ball and socket joints all the way up to something suitable for your ride-on mower.

Where do you want to start,
    start here; http://linkage.tuthill.com/productcatalog/new_searchL2.asp?L1_id=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This is a common problem on many Fiats but the parts are readily available from breakers and easily fitted. Don't try re-invent the wheel with parts from other cars or lawnmowers as it will invariably stop working on a snowy night while you are driving from Mayo to Cork.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

This is a common problem on many Fiats but the parts are readily available from breakers and easily fitted. Don't try re-invent the wheel with parts from other cars or lawnmowers as it will invariably stop working on a snowy night while you are driving from Mayo to Cork.

'c

If it was the rear wiper, it wouldn't matter. As according to some movie I can't remember which, the Gumball rally? The first rule of Italian driving is, "whats behind you is not important"

Tis the Gumball
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/feature/general/42969/page006.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fornow

It's the front, not the rear.

ATM breakers yard is gonna be my first choice. (Hoping i dont **** it up trying todo it myself)

Thanks for the name of the garage, handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

All the fun is in doping it yourself. I tried many things on my car (most of which failed and luckily were repairable with no more hassle than the shake of a mechanics head).

One of the first mods I did on my car were clear indicator lenses for the front. They still bring a smile to my face cos they were the first things I did myself.

Good luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

you can drill hole in the wiper driving shaft and use bolt with washer to hold the arm in the place. Washer has to have some clearance to allow for movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Jasus lads, its this simple.
    Ring any fiat parts dept. and tell them you need a wiper linkage arm. The arm that goes from the motor to the wiper arm and it shouldnt cost much at all.
    Now bring that part to a mechanic and dont ring first. Just say, the wiper linkage arm is broke, I have a new one here, how much do you want to stick it on?
    If you act like ye half know what yer on about, they probably wont charge you nearly as much. Whole operation should cost about 130 fitted.
    Max 80 for fitting and allow 50 for part (max Id say).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Oh and when odering the arm from a fiat dealer, ask to talk to parts, not service and have your chassis number ready. Its behind the engine kind of under the windscreen on either side on most cars.
    Never seen a fiat chassis no., but it'll be 17 digits long and most likely start with a few letters. Id imagine theyd either have it in stock or can get it in 24 hours.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ring donohos fiat 6215003, the location of this donohoes is cheery orchard, they will most likely have the part in stock or you can collect from donohos on kylemore road,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

See the pics or artist impression of the new punto in Autocar today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the last thing u want is used parts from a breakers yard that snap again. used original parts are great for body panels,lights, expensive new parts like engines/ gearboxes, etc but not for wiper arms.

lomb wrote:
    the last thing u want is used parts from a breakers yard that snap again.
    there will be not much difference when getting part from dealer  :D Design fault should be fixed with new part but just can't see fiat supplying something that will last , we did DIY job on that part and must be the strongest part of my mates 00 punto which had the same problem like other cars ,

well not counting other problems: headgasketX2 cracking back box, cracked down pipe , not working PS, broken clutch pressure plate, broken release bearing fork, leaking rear brake and other small things :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fornow

i was told by two seperate garages that you cant get the linkage arm on its own you can only order the entire piece which costs 140 ex-vat.

are you telling me this isnt the case? or just assuming?

and im not drilling and holes :)

fornow wrote:
    i was told by two seperate garages that you cant get the linkage arm on its own you can only order the entire piece which costs 140 ex-vat.

are you telling me this isnt the case? or just assuming?

and im not drilling and holes :)

you can always glue 5 on cent to top of that pin. U just need something to hold it in the place as there is no force being transferred vertically . get some mad epoxy glue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

To my mind the solution would invove, loosley
    Silver paper Cost 0 (nicked from yer mums)
    Paper clip Cost 0 (came with bank statement)
    Super glue Cost 2 E
    Hour of your time head scratching Cost 0
    Hour of feeling delighted with yourself priceless
    For everything else there's mastercard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Ratchet wrote:
    there will be not much difference when getting part from dealer  :D Design fault should be fixed with new part but just can't see fiat supplying something that will last , we did DIY job on that part and must be the strongest part of my mates 00 punto which had the same problem like other cars ,

well not counting other problems: headgasketX2 cracking back box, cracked down pipe , not working PS, broken clutch pressure plate, broken release bearing fork, leaking rear brake and other small things :eek:

agree with u totally, there are many examples of shoddy design on cars. and with these shoddy parts goes 1-3 years of use b4 they break so buy new not one thats already on a wing and a prayer :D

your fiat doesnt seem that reliable tbh. for a 00 car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

A lot of the parts that break can be plastic. As some people here have said they were never up to the job. Plastic boot remote actuator arm broke on my car. All was available was a whole new unit, around 250 e. so i dissasembled it and glued the plastic arm together. when it set, i used a soldering iron to push to pieces of steel wire (straightened out ballpen springs) into the plastic arm across the break to strenghten it(like a splint). I have repaired other plastic pieces this way. It.s a good way to give the joint strenght.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

just to remind everyone. Lenny killed his dog last week so dont listen to anything he says.

Advertisement