Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro Wrestling? Is it a sport.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Glad to see shrimps post is gone,
    As for your question, Pro wrestling is called sports entertainment(well that what WWE calls it) but i wouldnt say it any less of a sports because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Pro wrestling is form of entertainment no doubt but if u were cut out the acting outside of the ring (storylines) and have the wrestler performance maked by judges you would have a sport. But there are no judges and there is storylines and hence we have entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Oh is it the first of the month already? Yet another 'is it a sport' thread. Cant wait for next weeks 'you know its fake dont you' thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

It's Fake? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

It is not a sport...Amateur Wrestling is a sport. The Wrestlers are very Athletic themselves but to call it a sport would be insulting to real sports. However as they say all the time if you get hurt in Basketball,soccer etc. etc. you can call a timeout or send in a substitution where as in Wrestling the show must go on. "It ain't Ballet" either. Their travel schedule is absolutley brutal aswell so they earn their money unlike many sports star *cough* Craig Bellamy!....and even though it is entertainment the backstage going on's are even more enthralling then the show itself..the backstage should be the sport part of sport entertainment...Goldberg being put in the front face lock by Jericho..The montreal screwjob, Flair sucker punchin Foley etc. etc.

I wouldn't think todays WWE would win too many new wrestling fans because both the action in the ring and the acting blows but if you want to see good Wrestling that you'd be less ashamed to call a sport I'd say watch ROH. absolutely amazing Wrestling with little or no acting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Anything with a pre-determined outcome is not a sport (see Bruce Grobbelaar). As far as athleticism goes, some pro wrestlers can do things that many sportsmen dream about. The training and schedules are just as hard, sometimes harder than most sports but it can be classed as entertainment just like theatre. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I wouldn't even go as far to say its entertainment the way the WWE is at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

If it's not a sport, then why isn't it under arts? ... eh? ... eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

People please search this forum near the begining, this has been discussed, re-discussed and talked about before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Ph3n0m wrote:
    People please search this forum near the begining, this has been discussed, re-discussed and talked about before

well I was only asking because pro wrestling is in the sports section of boards and if it is infact not a sport as some people here think why then is there a pro wrestling section in the sports section of boards??? So maybe this issue needs to be cleared up and then you will not have people like me asking the same questions in the future.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Exar Khun wrote:
    well I was only asking because pro wrestling is in the sports section of boards and if it is infact not a sport as some people here think why then is there a pro wrestling section in the sports section of boards??? So maybe this issue needs to be cleared up and then you will not have people like me asking the same questions in the future.......

what's the big ****ing deal?

treat this as you would a tv show.
    if you don't like it, don't watch it.
    now get the **** out of here and don't come back.

what the hell?
    why am i being censored.
    this isn't right. who do i talk to about this censorship crap. i demand answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

They all have to have to be properly trained in order to step inside the ring in anyway. If the likes of Angle, Brock, Benoit etc werent doing the 'sports entertainment' thing then they'd be tearing up the professional circuit.

and the rest of them would be working as rent boys. :D

Yeah the vast majority i suppose. But a lot of them do have talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

its better than eastenders..........

Wouldnt be hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

dont even compare it to eastenders, compare it to emmerdale farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

julep wrote:
    now get the **** out of here and don't come back.

woah there is no need to get so worked up about it, I was just curious. julep chill-ax a little will you?

yeah sorry about that. i was hungover.
    i get a bit flowery on saturday mornings. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement