Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Point... The verdict??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Whatever about the SC itself the cinema is sure to succeed, how long until cinemaworld (douglas) closes, but don't cry for the owners, the land must be worth a mint for some crappy apartment development.

Now onto the SC, how long until douglas court (douglas) closes, but don't cry for the owners, the land must be worth a mint for some crappy housing estate, with access to the rochestown road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

vector wrote:
    Whatever about the SC itself the cinema is sure to succeed, how long until cinemaworld (douglas) closes, but don't cry for the owners, the land must be worth a mint for some crappy apartment development.

Now onto the SC, how long until douglas court (douglas) closes, but don't cry for the owners, the land must be worth a mint for some crappy housing estate, with access to the rochestown road.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

vector wrote:

agreed, douglas SC might close, especially as love is upgrading his competing douglas village SC, tesco will ensure that works. dunnes don't have as much sway across the road, and have been itching to leave ever since they opened their independent bandon road outlet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

The cinema is closing fairly soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

i leave Cork for a month and things are beginning to shut down. Why the cinema closing? What the cinema in MP like?

daveirl wrote:

Yes, but what if the land was worth more, its like a farmer working his aldn making money, but if he has a chance to sell it and retire he'll go for it.

But I suppose you're right. Dunnes doesn't have a share price to think about so it won't just sell for the short term.

To be fair the Cinema in Mahon Point is Lovely, basicly douglas cinema is not doing well at all, sure there land is worth a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I was at Mahon Point the 1st time today and it was magnificent! It was HUGE, and it had loads of variety. I saw XXX 2 in the Cinema aswell and it was class.

BTW, is Mahon Point Cinema closing down in a month?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Huge ? We were in the Centre Commerciel in Val d'Europe the other day and that was Huge.

It had everything that Mahon point has (womens shops) as well as a massive Hypermarket, a great FNAC and restuarants that used knives-and-forks ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

There is a proposal / was a proposal to re-open the rail line that ran out that direction towards passage and carrigaline but just as far as mahon point.

This could be done quite cheaply using trams and could, eventually when funds are available, be extended back out to carrigaline providing a decent public transport link.

However, it looks like the government's intent on spending every cent of the public transport budget on Dublin and intercity radial lines out of Dublin.

Although, there are some signs of improvements in Cork (middleton rail reopening, cobh to mallow has new trains etc)

They need to do something to improve public transport here though. The current system of low capacity single-deck busses that run too infrequently is a complete and utter joke. Half the city effectively has no bus service and Bus eireann still treats towns that have become suburbs as almost long distance expressway destinations.

MP's impact on the bus routes in mahon proves there is a need for decent public transport in this city.

I mean if Bus Eireann can't do it, let someone else run it for profit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

In powerhousedan's post he said "the cinema is closing fairly soon" and I was not sure which Cinema he was refeering to.

Douglas Cinema.

Douglas Cinema.

also known as "Cinema World"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 murmont

Hello all, what are your opinions on the new Omniplex cinema in Mahon Point?

I think I share your opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I finally got down to Mahon Point yesterday, went to see Hitchhiker's Guide with the youngfella, must admit I'm very impressed with the space and layout. Can't really comment on the shops, they were all shut up by the time I got there.

Was going to comment on the cinema, but I'll hold off for the moment cos murmont smells of shill.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 kevinroche

a few things about mahon point:

1. the management are not interested in innovative suggestions from the public or other professionals regarding what to do to end the commercial crisis there.

2. the marketing company are equally as bad.

3. mahon point doesn't seem to have anyweb strategy whatsoever. their website www.mahonpointsc.ie is not only fatally badly named but doesn't seem to be registered with google- a big mistake. the website is expensive and flashy but is devoid of content.

does anyone know how mahon point is surviving at the moment?

:confused:

ok maybe the overall "mahon point sc" branding is bad

but don't worry about it

the shops there have big bucks and can look after themselves, after the initial excitement people won't go to "mahon point" they will go to "[anchor_shop]" which happens to be in the SC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 kevinroche

the problem for the big shops is that the people of cork are too intelligent. they know the difference between "customer care" and actually giving a damn about the customer.

its already happening everywhere. people are too copped on. just go into town and ask any of the retailers. they are all upset because the game is up. they have been taking people for a ride and the internet is the new shop window. mahon point needs to realise this, the sooner the better.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pathogan91

Hi All Of You.
    The Traffic At The A/m Location Is Brutal.
    But It Need Not Be If You Go The Same Route As I.
    I Go To Mahonpoint Almost Every Morning From Mallow.
    Avoid The Tunnell And Come And Go Through Blackrock/ Ballintemple. I Use This Route Everyday And There Is Absolutely No Congestion. The Castle Road Between Mahon And Blackrock Is Very Quiet.

Hope This Helps.

Pat

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Nope that's a useless route - stick to the Tunnel way, it's so much faster ...keep away from Ballintemple !!!!!

Advertisement