Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is a 1975 car vrt free?

Options
  • 01-02-2005 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭

Is any car registered in 1975 vrt free, or do I have to wait for its month of first registration to go by.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

AFAIK it's dated from the month so you'd have to wait might be able to find out on the oasis or dept' of revenue websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

The rule is very strict in that in order to qualify for the exemption rule, the car must be 30 years or older from the DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION. So your original document should display the full date of first registration.

Ergo:
    - Car was first registered January 1975: Phew, you're in the clear, No VRT duties, etc...
    - Car was first registered June 1975: tough, no cigar, you will have to leave the car in the country of purchase until July 2005 before bringing it in.
    - Car was first registered in Juny 1975, BUT you can prove that the car was built/manufactured in January 1975.... Sorry, still no cigar, because the VR office uses the Date of First Registration and NOT the date of manufacture!!!

Sometimes you're in luck with some of the American cars, because they don't bother putting a month to it, and generally these cars are then exported/classed as 1/1/1975, giving you a bit of a break at the tax office. However, if there is no month specified, you could be out of luck, depending on the mood of the VRT inspector!!! If they're really sticky, they have the right to deny the exemption until 1/1/2006 !!! because strictly speaking the car could have had a 1st registration date of 31/12/1975 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Yippy :D My Daimler (reg date 1/1/1975) - a 4.2 litre motor for pocket money.

Driving this car is an amazing experience - mostly because everything works :eek: The poise this car has on the road is astonishing given its bulk and I now understand why motoring magazines used to rave about the suspension.

I note that you have to balance the fuel on both tanks as I was driving with one tank full and the other practically empty and its behaviour on undulating roads made it clear to me it did not like doing that.

Seems to burn oil - but no smoke coming out at the back and oil pressure good - is that normal on a Daimler 4.2.? Used about one and a half litres on the way back from Birmingham.
    Expected the fuel consumption to be far worse than it actually was. All in all a very pleasing purchase :)

Jag4.jpg
    Jag1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Yippy :D My Daimler (reg date 1/1/1975) - a 4.2 litre motor for pocket money.
    Jag1.jpg

Beautiful looking car, could you provide more details? (cost, running etc.). Am seriously thinking about getting into classic cars for my 30 birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Bluehair wrote:
    Beautiful looking car, could you provide more details? (cost, running etc.). Am seriously thinking about getting into classic cars for my 30 birthday.

are you handy with an engine hoist and a spanner? :D

tis a lovely car, very few nice ones left and the few that are nice go for alot in the uk(upto 10000stg)

can we see some pictures of the interior?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Theres two red Damilers/Jags of that vintage in Wexford in Taghmon and in Enniscorthy. Just thought I'd mention it (and yes I've seen them parked in more than one spot!)

Mike.

Advertisement