Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Gay in Rural Ireland - Marian Finucane

Options
  • 01-02-2005 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Being Gay in rural Ireland:

Although things may not yet be ideal for Gay people living in Dublin, things are definitely a lot different than they were 20 years ago. There's endless amounts of bars, clubs and societies all catering for the needs of the Gay community.

But what happens if you are living in rural Ireland, and as far as you know you may be the only Gay person living in the community ?
    Marian is joined in studio by a number of people all living in rural Ireland who are either Gay or Lesbian.

You can listen to it using Real Audio here.

Or you can download it in mp3 format ( 6Mb in size)

The quality is radio quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Worth listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

It was really interesting, we really take what we have in the cities for granted, there's still people breaking ground in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

people breaking ground in rural areas ? we country folk call them farmers.

The sad thing is that when you feel isolated/different/alone the likelihood there are other gay men/women feelign thesame, or having been through the same, not so far from you, but making that connection in some environments is difficult.

I think any Rural support group should congratulate itself, God knows the number of people's who's pain/situation has been lessened by that possibility of contact/sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aerach

Congrats to Marian for taking on the topic, maybe she fancies becoming the second Diana Ross? hehe Anyhow, if ye were listening to the program you'll have heard about the OutWest Group www.outwestireland.ie they meet once a month, a small quiet place (castlerea, co roscommon; my hometown [for a while at least] ) I'd whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone, straight or gay or bi or whatever! I went to the first meeting when i was a Leaving Cert student, took some courage but it was great craic!

Advertisement