Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nationalist/Republican Newspaper Hits the Streets

• 01-02-2005 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Are you ready for the Provo friendly Daily Ireland?
    First edition of paper hits shops

Daily Ireland hit the news stands on Tuesday
    The first edition of a new daily newspaper has gone on sale across Northern Ireland.

Daily Ireland, published by the Andersonstown News Group, will be cross-border and pro-nationalist.

About 60,000 copies of the paper have been printed to coincide with its launch in Belfast on Tuesday.

Managing Director Mairtin O Muilleoir said while the market was crowded with titles he was confident Daily Ireland would be a success.

"There's a great appetite for newspapers. Yes, there are a lot of newspapers out there, but none catering for this niche in the market," he said.

"We're taking on everyone in the market. We're on sale across the country. We have put together a very polished product and it's different. I think it's going to fly and there's a real demand for that."

Mr O Muilleoir said it was a "real triumph" to see Daily Ireland on the news stands after almost a year of intense preparations.

"We intend to provide a fresh, vibrant, dynamic package for the modern reader who wants a paper which is tops for sport, exclusives and features," he said.

Editor Maria McCourt said newspapers had to adapt to massive changes in the industry, and they took this on board when deciding its content.

"They (newspapers) are no longer the primary source of information for people, especially morning papers," she said.

"People want to get more from their newspaper and I think views and analysis is the way to go."

Daily Ireland, priced 50 pence, hopes to take sales off the Irish News and the Irish editions of the English tabloids which sell well in nationalist areas.

It needs to sell 20,000 copies a day to break even and expects to pick up sales principally in Northern Ireland, Dublin and the border counties

Doubt I'll be able to find a copy down here

Sadly no web edition unless you pay. www.dailyireland.ie/

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Aren't there enough newspapers in Ireland, let alone Pro-nationalist ones? I thought An Phoblacht and Irish News would be all the propaganda the nationalists needed, and it's not as if The Indo is all that unionist :D

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

cant see it taking off really. the market has more than enough newspapers nowadays. last paper i remember trying this was the "evening news" it was a good read but went under only weeks after it launched.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

mike65 wrote:
    Provo friendly

I haven’t read it and don’t know much about it, but what is that based on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭@rchives

wha
    t is that based on?

Have you ever seen a copy of Andersonstown News?

Right I’ve read up on it a bit more - it’s apparently a “dark, dark green”.

http://www.sluggerotoole.com/archives/2005/02/myopic_liberals.php#more

…however, I was thinking (maybe mistakenly?) that Mike’s comments were in line with McDowell’s comments which linked it to terrorism – which the NUJ has called “ill considered and dangerous” [to it’s staff].
    flogen wrote:
    Aren't there enough newspapers in Ireland, let alone Pro-nationalist ones? I thought An Phoblacht and Irish News would be all the propaganda the nationalists needed, and it's not as if The Indo is all that unionist :D

On the Indo N&M, when will they have enough newspapers? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay I was being a little flip, but I'm sure its the sort of paper a provo could read over his cornflakes without choking...

Mike.

...I'm sure they all know about the Sindo. Otherwise, it would need a warning about such ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just out of interest - a copy of this newspaper was on sale in Portlaoise on the first morning of it's publication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looks like a trash tabloid, judging by its website and design.

I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

seamus wrote:
    Looks like a trash tabloid, judging by its website and design.

I could be wrong though.
    Well you didn't expect a card carrying Republican to read a broadsheet did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ireland's very own Radio television libre des mille collines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sleepy wrote:
    Well you didn't expect a card carrying Republican to read a broadsheet did you?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Picked this paper up when I was visting Dublin and it is an all-Ireland paper. You get news and comment from the Republic and NI mixed together. For those who think that the news from NI is not Irish, it will be a turn off. Their coverage of the McCartney killing can hardly be described as Provo friendly.

Advertisement