Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP Price

• 01-02-2005 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Dose any one know roughly how much the PSP will sell for when released here in late March?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

£180 for the standard pack...unless things change..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

it has to change. the DS is nearly a £100 cheaper at £94.99 at Amazon.co.uk. So thats roughly €245 for the PSP and €128 for the DS so yeah thats €117 difference thats if we are lucky and irish retailers dont hike up the price like they almost gauranteed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

The DS will be 180-200, more than likelly closer to 200 as we are in ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

kinkstr wrote:
    The DS will be 180-200, more than likelly closer to 200 as we are in ireland

Actually the DS will be €149, that's the price nintendo have given it, and the price Game have been telling customers, so I don't think the retailers are even going to add a bit onto the RRP.

I heard that Amazon are taking deposits for the PSP at an expected price of €240 or €250. I'd say that Sony will try and make it €200 but they won't match the DS.

flogen

What about VAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When Nintendo announced the price they took VAT into consideration, €149 is the price you'll pay at the counter.

if thats true thats a very good price!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't Sony up the PSP price to the equivalent of $250 in Japan? It will probably keep that price in America and Europe if its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Didn't Sony up the PSP price to the equivalent of $250 in Japan? It will probably keep that price in America and Europe if its true.

Despite the strong euro we tend to get these things priced dollar for euro once they hit our shores (i.e. 250 dollars in the states but 250 euro here).

(but I don't care as i picked mine up a few days ago in Hong Kong for just under 250 euro!... To understate the case... I'm gobsmacked and can't stop playing Ridge Racers, once you hold one you'll want one, whatever the price.)

Bluehair wrote:

(but I don't care as i picked mine up a few days ago in Hong Kong for just under 250 euro!... To understate the case... I'm gobsmacked and can't stop playing Ridge Racers, once you hold one you'll want one, whatever the price.)

very true! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

"The company will sell the device for less than $200 when it goes on sale around the end of March in the U.S., said Howard Stringer, the chairman of Sony's U.S. unit."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000101&sid=aiWUqA1RK7v4&refer=japan

I would guess a price of around €200 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

"Sony Computer Entertainment America today announced the official US release date for their handheld gaming system, PSP. The release date is scheduled for March 24, 2005.

The PSP Value Pack will have a retail price of $249.99 U.S./$299.99 CND and will contain aMB Memory Stick Duo, headphones with remote control, battery pack, AC adaptor, soft case and cleaning cloth, movie/music/game video sampler UMD disc including multiple non-interactive game demos, and for the first one million PSP Value Packs shipped, a special UMD video release of the feature film Spider-Man 2."

http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/1107435840.80.html

that's the US info. word has it that the european release will be 2/3days later and approx 250euro for valuepack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

PSM (Playstation Magazine) has the price at $180 for the "set" which includes headphones, battery charger, ect. And just for the PSP itself is $150.
    I'm just going to cough up the extra 30 so I can have it all.

How much are the games for it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Expect an increase in that price on release in europe due to increased helper monkeys for the luxemburg shipments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Illuvatar wrote:
    PSM (Playstation Magazine) has the price at $180 for the "set" which includes headphones, battery charger, ect. And just for the PSP itself is $150.
    I'm just going to cough up the extra 30 so I can have it all.

How much are the games for it?

PSM is wrong. Sony have today officially announced the price. $250 for the "set" as you call it. There is no basic pack, so $250 is what it'll cost in the US to buy a PSP. Expect 300 euro here

"

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050203/sfth050_1.html

PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable) Set to Release on March 24 Across North America
    Thursday February 3, 8:08 am ET
    Sony Computer Entertainment America to Retail Single SKU PSP Value Pack for $249.99

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Feb. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. announced today the North American launch details for its highly anticipated PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable) handheld entertainment system. Available through retail outlets on March 24, the company continues its consumer-centric legacy with the release of the PSP Value Pack for a suggested retail price of $249.99 U.S./$299.99 CND. In addition to the revolutionary PSP hardware, the PSP Value Pack contains an unprecedented added-value package of accessories and entertainment content, including 32 MB Memory Stick Duo(TM), headphones with remote control, battery pack, AC adaptor, soft case and cleaning cloth, movie/music/game video sampler UMD disc including multiple non-interactive game demos, and for the first one million PSP Value Packs shipped, a special UMD video release of the feature film Spider-Man(TM) 2 from Sony Pictures Entertainment.
    Sony Computer Entertainment will manufacture one million units for sale in the North American market by the close of its fiscal year ending March 31. This figure is part of the company's total three-million-unit worldwide PSP system shipment estimate within the same time period. PSP released in Japan on December 12, 2004 and is already a hit, with more than 800,000 units shipped, including a 200,000-unit allocation that sold out on day one.

PSP sets a new standard as the first truly integrated portable entertainment system designed to provide consumers with a comprehensive entertainment experience including games, music, movies, communication, and wireless networking. Featuring graphics rendering capabilities comparable to the company's leading in-home console, PlayStation(R)2, PSP brings an unparalleled gaming experience to a portable platform, allowing users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality, full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PSP also allows for digital photo display and supports digital music playback in both MP3 and ATRAC formats.

"PSP will evolve and elevate portable entertainment, giving users the freedom to play full 3D games, watch movies, listen to music and connect wirelessly on their terms, their time and their place," said Kaz Hirai, president and chief executive officer, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. "More than ever, today's consumer demands access to entertainment outside the home without compromising quality. With more than 100 PSP game titles currently in development worldwide, and the ability to download and listen to digital music and view feature films with breathtaking screen quality, PSP lets users control their entertainment options, all in one package."

PSP features an unmatched 4.3-inch, 16:9 wide screen TFT LCD that displays full color (16.77 million colors) on a 480 x 272 pixel high-resolution screen. PSP also comes complete with built-in stereo speakers, exterior headphone connector and diverse input/output connectors such as USB 2.0, and 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless LAN, enabling users to connect to the Internet and play online via a wireless network.* Up to 16 PSPs in the vicinity can also be connected to each other directly in ad-hoc mode, allowing for wireless head-to-head competition. In addition, wireless capabilities will allow software and data to be downloaded to a PSP and saved onto a Memory Stick Duo.

PSP also adopts a newly developed proprietary, compact, but high-capacity optical disc, Universal Media Disc (UMD(TM)), as its storage medium. UMD is the next-generation compact storage media, only 60mm in diameter but can store up to 1.8GB of digital data -- more than three times the data held on a CD-ROM. A broad range of digital entertainment content such as high quality 3D games, music, movies, video clips and other programs can be distributed on UMD. To protect this content, a robust copyright protection system has been developed for UMD, which utilizes a combination of a unique disc ID, 128 bit AES encryption keys for the media, and individual ID for each PSP hardware unit. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And listing the machine for €320.
    I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than pay that much for a handheld.

Most retailers have set a preliminary price for now but will reduce those prices before release.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Most retailers have set a preliminary price for now but will reduce those prices before release.

yes, but sonys official price is $250 so the very minimum it'll release here is 250 euro.

your all gonna get a bargain i paid £250 :o

but hey..its still awesome at that price!....i was led to believe the games were actually going to be £25 or so?

Sony have not confirmed game prices yet.

• Advertisement

L5 wrote:

I think you should reread my post. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,568 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

how much will the psp cost in rip off ireland

i got my psp standard pack with 2 games for 325 euro
    i wondering did i get it cheaper than what it will be in ireland

L5 wrote:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050203/sfth050_1.html

PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable) Set to Release on March 24 Across North America
    Thursday February 3, 8:08 am ET
    Sony Computer Entertainment America to Retail Single SKU PSP Value Pack for $249.99

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Feb. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. announced today the North American launch details for its highly anticipated PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable) handheld entertainment system. Available through retail outlets on March 24, the company continues its consumer-centric legacy with the release of the PSP Value Pack for a suggested retail price of $249.99 U.S./$299.99 CND. In addition to the revolutionary PSP hardware, the PSP Value Pack contains an unprecedented added-value package of accessories and entertainment content, including 32 MB Memory Stick Duo(TM), headphones with remote control, battery pack, AC adaptor, soft case and cleaning cloth, movie/music/game video sampler UMD disc including multiple non-interactive game demos, and for the first one million PSP Value Packs shipped, a special UMD video release of the feature film Spider-Man(TM) 2 from Sony Pictures Entertainment.
    Sony Computer Entertainment will manufacture one million units for sale in the North American market by the close of its fiscal year ending March 31. This figure is part of the company's total three-million-unit worldwide PSP system shipment estimate within the same time period. PSP released in Japan on December 12, 2004 and is already a hit, with more than 800,000 units shipped, including a 200,000-unit allocation that sold out on day one.

PSP sets a new standard as the first truly integrated portable entertainment system designed to provide consumers with a comprehensive entertainment experience including games, music, movies, communication, and wireless networking. Featuring graphics rendering capabilities comparable to the company's leading in-home console, PlayStation(R)2, PSP brings an unparalleled gaming experience to a portable platform, allowing users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality, full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PSP also allows for digital photo display and supports digital music playback in both MP3 and ATRAC formats.

"PSP will evolve and elevate portable entertainment, giving users the freedom to play full 3D games, watch movies, listen to music and connect wirelessly on their terms, their time and their place," said Kaz Hirai, president and chief executive officer, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. "More than ever, today's consumer demands access to entertainment outside the home without compromising quality. With more than 100 PSP game titles currently in development worldwide, and the ability to download and listen to digital music and view feature films with breathtaking screen quality, PSP lets users control their entertainment options, all in one package."

PSP features an unmatched 4.3-inch, 16:9 wide screen TFT LCD that displays full color (16.77 million colors) on a 480 x 272 pixel high-resolution screen. PSP also comes complete with built-in stereo speakers, exterior headphone connector and diverse input/output connectors such as USB 2.0, and 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless LAN, enabling users to connect to the Internet and play online via a wireless network.* Up to 16 PSPs in the vicinity can also be connected to each other directly in ad-hoc mode, allowing for wireless head-to-head competition. In addition, wireless capabilities will allow software and data to be downloaded to a PSP and saved onto a Memory Stick Duo.

PSP also adopts a newly developed proprietary, compact, but high-capacity optical disc, Universal Media Disc (UMD(TM)), as its storage medium. UMD is the next-generation compact storage media, only 60mm in diameter but can store up to 1.8GB of digital data -- more than three times the data held on a CD-ROM. A broad range of digital entertainment content such as high quality 3D games, music, movies, video clips and other programs can be distributed on UMD. To protect this content, a robust copyright protection system has been developed for UMD, which utilizes a combination of a unique disc ID, 128 bit AES encryption keys for the media, and individual ID for each PSP hardware unit. "

I smell press release bull**** :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

According to Sony, games are going to range from $40 to $50 (which is €60 for us I'd imagine). That rules me out anyway; I don't think I could pay that much for any handheld game.

$250 (or €250) is tolarable but I was hoping that Sony would shake the industry up at $200. In Japan the system on its own is the yen equililent of only $185.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

have any of you actually done an accurate currency convert?

$250 = €172.90

if its any higher than €200 here, im importing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Zhane: The DS is $150, and when released next month here, it'll be €150 - that's the assumption they where working on. We get ripped off when it comes to electronics (and games, and music, and movies, and...)

According to Sony, games are going to range from $40 to $50 (which is €60 for us I'd imagine). That rules me out anyway; I don't think I could pay that much for any handheld game.

$250 (or €250) is tolarable but I was hoping that Sony would shake the industry up at $200. In Japan the system on its own is the yen equililent of only $185.

**** that im not paying £40 or whatever! ill import em!!! jeeesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,568 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ViperVenoM wrote:
    **** that im not paying £40 or whatever! ill import em!!! jeeesus!
    but viper you live in england games over there are cheap enough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

snoopdog wrote:
    how much will the psp cost in rip off ireland

It should cost the same as it will in the rest of euroland. What ever that will be.

Advertisement