Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after Arts degree?

Options
  • 01-02-2005 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Just finishing up an Arts degree, with subjects that do not directly relate to any particular career path.
    My options, include teaching.
    Where do I go in that respect, if you have an honours degree how long will it take to work as a teacher?
    Perhaps, I'm wrong but is it reasonably easy to pick up work on a temporary basis as a primary or secondary teacher?
    Do you have to go to UL?
    My second line of thought relates to accounting, as has been well documented it's a bloody lucrative career.
    Is there such thing as an accounting masters onto which you can progress after completing an honours degree in an unrelated field.
    Also , Civil servant salaries where can I find out information about them? Say, council/corporation etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Talk to the careers service at your university?

For teaching, you'll most likely need a one year post-grad qualification (H. Dip for secondary teaching, or a conversion course by one of the teacher training colleges for primary teaching).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

How come you don't mention what you're studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

How bad is you situation? are we talking Celtic Civ, Greek & Roman or something a bit more marketable like Sociology, Economics?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Search this forum, there's already been a thread about this excact subject.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Lump wrote:
    Search this forum, there's already been a thread about this excact subject.

John

would someone add a link to that thread, for closure,
    (I would myself but I couldn't be axxed)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭bluto

Go to your nearest McDonalds/ Burgar KING/ sUPERMACS. Ask for a application form, and in your neatest hand writting fill it in. Voila you have a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Man, thats really nice! You should have just asked him why he done the "degree" when you put it like that.
    I know lots of people who do teaching out of it, you have to do a h-dip for seconday not to sure about primary though

Primary teaching is a degree in itself. So why did you do a arts degree. If u had done a science or enginering one. Some Multinational would of snapped u up by now and youd be living the life of reilly in Sillicon Vally. Or at least know how to poison yourself painlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

bluto wrote:
    Go to your nearest McDonalds/ Burgar KING/ sUPERMACS. Ask for a application form, and in your neatest hand writting fill it in. Voila you have a job.

Not qualified enough with a basic arts degree, try later when you get a masters

Maybe they can get a job sweeping and mopping the floors and work there way up. Just like Ronald Mcdonald did all those years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

frodi wrote:
    Not qualified enough with a basic arts degree, try later when you get a masters

and i thought bluto was bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭smiling_time

fill up the CAO form and do a do a real course and get a real job!! only messing.so many ppl are in the same situation as you.when you were told to do an arts degree you were prob told it would keep your options open...however now you have many options and although you have qualifications you are prob not qualified enough in one area to do that job....anyhu, consider doing a H dip of post grad in a specific area of interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

AHAAHAHAHAHAHA! Jokes about arts, theres a new one...

The best path to go down from an arts degree is probably a masters i reckon, What subjects do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Its not all doom and gloom... First off, you are immediately able to substitute both as a primary and secondary school teacher. Because you have a degree you are better off than half the people your age, f**k what everyone else says.
    Because you have the degree you are also qualified to apply for graduate diploma courses. I know in U.L. you can do these in computers,chemical engineering, business etc.
    If your looking to go into accounting, you could do so through this path. There are plenty of other colleges offering graduate diplomas in business which you could follow up with a masters in accounting or business or marketing etc.
    Like it was said, go and talk to the careers office in college. They'll point in the right direction. Chin up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Its not all doom and gloom... First off, you are immediately able to substitute both as a primary and secondary school teacher. Because you have a degree you are better off than half the people your age, f**k what everyone else says.
    Because you have the degree you are also qualified to apply for graduate diploma courses. I know in U.L. you can do these in computers,chemical engineering, business etc.
    If your looking to go into accounting, you could do so through this path. There are plenty of other colleges offering graduate diplomas in business which you could follow up with a masters in accounting or business or marketing etc.
    Like it was said, go and talk to the careers office in college. They'll point you in the right direction. Chin up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

OP, if you want to pursue a career as an accountant you will need to follow one of several paths below..

(a) Do a conversion Grad Dip in Business Studies with a significant accounting element which might grant you entry to the M.Acc in UCD (the only accounting masters worth anything). Then apply to the firm of your choice stating you have a B.A, are undertaking a Pg.D (bus) and have a confirmed place on the M.Acc - you may be accepted directly onto their training scheme and be able to bypass years one & two of the ACA system.

(b) Do a conversion course after your B.A in a science/engineering discipline which will greatly increase your chances of a career path should you go off accounting in the future. Take a job and organise getting yourself onto the likes of the parttime MBS offered in Dublin Business School, DIT, UCD etc.

(c) If you have Economics in your BA this is an option I would definitely recommend. Apply to the M.Sc in Treasury Management in DCU (1yr fulltime) - most of my friends took this route and each of them worked as stock brokers and dealing room staff around the world. It's an excellent qualification. Gives you a great route into regular bank once you retire from trading at 30 with an extremely healthy bank balance (not joking here). You could set up as an independent financial consultant too. Lots of scope here.

(d) Follow a prescribed course of study for the ACCA or CIMA accounting qualifications - again at the likes of DIT Aungier St or Dublin Business School, or the new private college in the IFSC. Privately this will cost you some money but it's designed to work around a full time job. Couple of years and you'd have the ACCA membership, which can always be converted into an ACA anytime you like with typically one further year of study/training.

Most ACA's working in the private sector with 3-5 years PQE make on average €80k these days in Dublin. More again in the likes of London.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

MojoMaker wrote:
    (c) If you have Economics in your BA this is an option I would definitely recommend. Apply to the M.Sc in Treasury Management in DCU (1yr fulltime) - most of my friends took this route and each of them worked as stock brokers and dealing room staff around the world. It's an excellent qualification. Gives you a great route into regular bank once you retire from trading at 30 with an extremely healthy bank balance (not joking here). You could set up as an independent financial consultant too. Lots of scope here.

That course sounded interesting, so I did a quick google and came up with the course web page. It basically says that it's a part time course (evenings and a saturday morning), and has requirements of an honours degree in Business OR
    an honours degree in a discipline other than Business and are employed in the financial services industry; OR Those who hold other qualifications (including professional qualifications) and have worked in the financial services industry for at least three years.
    So it sounds like a good course, but I'm not sure if it'd be ideal for an arts graduate with no financial services experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Primary teaching is a degree in itself. So why did you do a arts degree

Actually, you're sort of wrong. You can do a post-grand conversion course to gain a primary teach qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

One of my friends got a place on the M.Sc in Treasury Management following a BA in Greek/Roman and History and the 1yr D.BS in Carysfort. He never worked in the financial industry before and as luck would have it chose not to work in it afterwards but definitely recommended the course. The others I know that did it all moved to London and got very bog jobs very quickly.

If you had pure economics in your BA I'd say you might even squeeze in without doing the DBS. I don't recall if you told us the content of your Arts degree?

Advertisement