Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HELP! nct tomorrow and headlight hight adjuster not working

Options
  • 01-02-2005 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

toyota yaris has nct tomorrow and headlight adjuster on one side constantly buzzing and hunting up and down. if i disable the motor in the normal (highest )driving position will it pass? thanks for any quick replies much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Perhaps a cable has merely dislodged itself from the rear of a headlamp unit ?

Otherwise, is it too late to cancel (without finiancial penalty) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

its tomorrow night at 8.50. if i didnt go to it i think they charge 20 euro, if it fails 27 euro. ive just been looking at it, its motor driven, and the drivers side hunts up and down constantly. if i pul the cable to the motor out it stops hunting (obviuosly) sounds like the feedback potentiometer is worn or full of grease(i know servos on model helicopters do this after extensive use. however the headlamp does not travel far down, so this is unusual.

question: if i disconnect the wires to motors on bothsides with the headlamp position correct will it fail? i can do this easily or should i buy new a new motor tomorrow and attempt repair? this is noteasy as the bumper has to come off to release the headlight. :confused::confused::confused:

edit: its not cable driven but with an electric motor. removing the power to it stops any hunting up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Well as you would only be out €7 if it fails, try you 'disconnect wires' option and see how it goes.

If it passes, you can fix it properly afterwards, if it fails you are only down €7 and you will have plenty of time before next test to fix it !

my 2 cents worth.

Best of luck !

Silvera.

thanks silvera much appreciated. anybody else know about it? i know there were a few people on here talking about dodgy headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Silvera wrote:
    Well as you would only be out €7 if it fails, try you 'disconnect wires' option and see how it goes.

If it passes, you can fix it properly afterwards, if it fails you are only down €7 and you will have plenty of time before next test to fix it !

Pragmatist :)

• Advertisement

surely there is some information on this. why dont the nct people release actual fail items instead of just saying 'headlight checked'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does the motor have its own fuse?

Failing that I'd just pull the plug, mark the light beam of the good headlight on a wall then when the bad light hits the same level switch off the power and disconnect.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Does the motor have its own fuse?

Failing that I'd just pull the plug, mark the light beam of the good headlight on a wall then when the bad light hits the same level switch off the power and disconnect.

Mike.

no fuse, but i think i will follow ur advice and pull the plug.il find out tomorrow the cost of a motor, probably wont be able to buy one and would have to buy a headlamp. that cant be cheap! would it be preferable to have the headlights pointing down a little? to pass the nct than too high?

If the lights were already set-up properly then the highest setting is the correct one. Why do these things always start playing up at the last moment?!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

mike65 wrote:
    ...... Why do these things always start playing up at the last moment?!

Mike.

For the same reason someone will reverse into you and bust your lens on the way to the NCT..... NCT Gremlins, they are out there, hiding, lurking behind corners waiting to get you....

Meanwhile. If it s hunting it is obviously bad.....Why not let the motor hunt to the point where the light is good for one person in the car and pull the electrical connector there, may pull both at the same point.... May as well be hing for a sheep as a lamb!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Silvera wrote:

Ya - it might show up other things that would have to be fixed too.

Ya - it might show up other things that would have to be fixed too.

its a 2000 yaris with..................12000miles what else could be wrong :D:D:D

AMurphy wrote:
    For the same reason someone will reverse into you and bust your lens on the way to the NCT..... NCT Gremlins, they are out there, hiding, lurking behind corners waiting to get you....

Meanwhile. If it s hunting it is obviously bad.....Why not let the motor hunt to the point where the light is good for one person in the car and pull the electrical connector there, may pull both at the same point.... May as well be hing for a sheep as a lamb!.

thanks for all the advice, i think i will just pull the plug with as u say in the zero position and pray il report tonight or tomorrow the result

mike65 wrote:
    If the lights were already set-up properly then the highest setting is the correct one. Why do these things always start playing up at the last moment?!

Mike.

thanlks, and god knows all i did was open the bonnet and noted a loud constant noise. nightmare..............

passed anyway so they dont check the height adjuster i just disabled both in the zero or highest position.

Result!

"/thank gawd thats done for two years..."

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Result!

"/thank gawd thats done for two years..."

Mike.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement