Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA certification - where?

Options
  • 01-02-2005 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering doing Cisco certification starting this year. Can anybody recommend where I can complete the courses in the Dublin area? I live in Lucan and work near Blanch. Any idea of costs?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

If you're looking for a few months of lectures and stuff before taking the exams, I think Griffith College does a part time course, dont know the details really... www.gcd.ie
    If you're just looking for an exam centre, TQ Training on Pearse St. will do em for about 150 quid a pop i think

lampsie

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Try Institute of Technology Tallaght. You might get it cheap as part of an ITS Diploma (Information Technology Support) or Cert - perhaps by doing a single module. The Institutes are big into CCNA training as part of full and part-time undergraduate programmes.

I got some Cisco 2600 training as part of my part-time studies at CIT. And it doesn't cost an arm or a leg.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

If I were you I would save the money from attending one of these paid Cisco course's except the Griffith College one which looked nice, and basically teach yourself.

When you attend one of these week long Cisco courses ~€2k ALL you do for the week is practice setting up switchs and routers and get use to all the different commands and the command line interface.

With the right books, Cisco Press or Sybex and some decent Router simulation software you can easily get a good feel for the commands you would use in a Cisco environment (basic one's) and all the commands you need for the exam, couple this with getting some good exam practice questions before the exam (Transcender or Boson) and you are sorted.

Not to mention, all the sites out their dedicated to Cisco exam preperation.

When I took one of these course's after the week, I really felt done ! that I had wasted €2000 of my own cash. They are NOT worth the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Related to this topic:

Does anyone know of any JunOS/Juniper training courses/testing centres in Ireland or would I have to travel abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

If I were you I would save the money from attending one of these paid Cisco course's except the Griffith College one which looked nice, and basically teach yourself.

I agree. You would save yourself a fortune if you teach yourself.
    All you do on those courses is mess around with a load of routers.

Get yourself a copy of the latest sybex book, and read it back to back.
    Get yourself the Boson NetSim/Net Designer.
    Get yourself the latest version of Testking Questions and Answers.
    Adapt that testking into a trandumper to test yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well i'm currently doing a CCNA course in Crumlin College of Further Education and I have to say it's a great course, i'm loving it. Sometimes it's alot to take in and ya really don't stay doing hands on stuff untill semester 2, but if ya stick with it for the two years you'll come out all the better for it. Plus the whole fee for the year is only €140, and it's part of their other networking courses too like programming, database, web design, it skills, computer maintenance, architecture, maths... etc.

Check it out anyways. Their site is www.crumlincollege.ie
    Or call them on 01 4540662

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If I were you I would save the money from attending one of these paid Cisco course's except the Griffith College one which looked nice, and basically teach yourself
    Two options here are to buy/borrow a router to practise on or there are some internet links to simulators/emulators so you can get the hands on experiance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭johncorleone

SyxPak wrote:
    Related to this topic:

Does anyone know of any JunOS/Juniper training courses/testing centres in Ireland or would I have to travel abroad?
    Hey John,

I don't know of anywhere in Ireland running the Juniper training. The handiest thing to do is to purchase the book for the JNCIA online and read up on it yourself. The exams can be taken in most prometric testing centres.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Thanks John smile.gif

Advertisement