Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bootable CDs

• 02-02-2005 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Straight forward question.. What is it in machines that make them able to boot from CD. Is it the bios?

I've got an old dell (circa 2000) here I'm trying to install windows xp onto, but it doesn't recognise the cd drive and skips straight to the "No operating system" message from the HDD. The bios is Dell v.A08.

I'd rather not have to create 6 boot floppies to install it.. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭john_g83

yea, you should be able to change it in the bios to boot off a bootable cd first. put it to boot in this order
    1. CD
    2 floppy
    3 HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

tried hitting del/f8 during dell logo but can't get into config

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

dells are either f2 or f12 or delete when the dell logo appears on power up

What os do you have at the moment? 98/ME?

think you some older dells used Ctrl Alt Enter
    worth a go
    remember as well if it is an older PC the minimum requirements:
    CPU 300 MHz
    RAM 128 MB
    Disk Space 1.5 GB free

1.5GB Hard drive is absolute minimum, you'd want twice that at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sounds like he has no OS at the moment.

If it's a Dell Optiplex then the key should be F2.

Got the machine formated.. nothing on it at all.
    About to go up and try ctrl alt enter now

thanks

Success!
    That worked, also f2 works.
    Changed CD to be first, but still didn't work.. then I swapped the ide cables with the hdd and changed the hdd's master/slave switch (it's not labeled, so I'm not sure to what).
    CD has booted now.. awaiting to see if it sees the hdd and installs ok!

hdd wasn't visable when I got into the crux of the setup.
    It's weird, the bios.. It has Primary Drive options: "Auto", "EIDE", and then a load of "cyl"s, 1-23 or something. Tried EIDE and cyl 1 but nowt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'd leave that set to Auto. Shouldn't be changing that, just the boot sequence.
    Sounds as though CD was still set as third and booted when it couldn't see the HDD because of incorrect jumper setting. You sure you changed and saved the correct order?

You'd want to make sure that the master/slave jumpers are set correctly.
    Easiest thing might be to use both EIDE channels, and put one device as master on each, assuming you've 2 EIDE cables.

Other than that you'll have to determine whether your devices are in master, slave or cable select mode.
    HDD master, CD slave is preferable. (usually slave is the default with no jumper)

• Advertisement
Advertisement