Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q+A : 19th Feb 2005

Options
  • 02-02-2005 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Those 'shiny happy people' from Q+A (QUEER AND ALTERNATIVE) are back
    again on Saturday, February 19th at the Temple Bar Music Centre. The
    DJ's promise to blow some of the cob-webs off a fairly dusty 2005 with an exciting blend of Alternative, Rock, Indie & Pop music, plus a selection of classics from the 70's and 80's thrown in for good
    measure.

Expect to hear everything from Franz Ferdinand to Blondie. This month
    Q+A celebrates the musical history of R.E.M with bumper giveaways and
    floor-filling hits from the enigmatic Michael Stipe!

Doors open at 10.30.

Admission = 12 Euro or 10 Euro with Flyer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You know I Question weather this should be allowed. On any other forum this blatant ad would be removed. However because it is a "Gay friendly event" its allowed. Throught of the matter is, Your just after the "queer euro" notthign more. Normally I wouldn't care and just pass over a thread like this, but price tag of 12 euro to go to a club, sorry "music centre" in temple bar is pushing it.

Another point would be is there really a need for gay oriented events in dublin anymore. I don't think there is a need to huddle together in some **** hole and get ripped off anymore. Everywhere I go in dublin these days theres guys/girls holding hands, kissing memeber of the same sex. Pretty feicing cool. Pubs and clubs are scared to be classified as homophobic, not that they would, on average loose much gay business, more the fear of no longer being trendy and cool for the dublin student population.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I will say one thing about Q+A. It's an attempt to show gay people that music need not be all about Kylie. I for one feel it's welcome and I used always make a point of going to it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Agree with Stark. I've been going to it for years, back before it was Q+A and was run out of Eamonn Doranns. I lost a watch to it but I've enjoyed it over the years and Colm and Vinnie do a great job with it. And yeah, it's nice to see an alternative flavour to the dance/chart mix we normally get and maybe this new Superheroes club will help out there too.

As to what you're saying Boston... I can see your point but I still think the situation isn't yet ideal. If nothing else, a gay club enables you to be sure that the person you're eyeing up may at least be open to more than a "sorry mate, I'm straight" or whatever.

Ok Fair enough its an alternative sound, but it still sounds like a rip off at 12 euro for a dublin club. Maybe thats how bad temple bar has got in the past few years, wouldn't know as I avoid the place.

Its a fair point about scoring though, I hadn't taken that whole thing into concideration, and I suppose all the georges of the world would start to do your head. I honestly don't see a problem with going to a bar like doran(which is a slapper hole anyway) and getting up to stuff with a guy, and fibbers,depending on the night, will have more bi-guys then regular punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

The rental for Temple Bar Music Centre probably impacts the entrance fee. Cost of DJs, performance license and advertising. If the TBMC ran it themselves the ticketprice would probably be less. €12 is nothing these days for an entrance fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

12 euro for some decent music isn't bad at all - they charge 10 euro into Kiss and it's dreadful - seriously, they played Gladys Knight and the Pips last (and I mean 'last') time I was there.

Kiss reminded me of a bad school disco circa 1979. I don't know why we put up with crap just because it's 'gay'.

damien.m wrote:
    The rental for Temple Bar Music Centre probably impacts the entrance fee. Cost of DJs, performance license and advertising. If the TBMC ran it themselves the ticketprice would probably be less. €12 is nothing these days for an entrance fee.

O I didn't know it's a rented thing, who runs it then. Is 12 euro really standard, or is it standard for a gay night? Something I've never been to.

Advertisement