Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

manager wanted

Options
  • 02-02-2005 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Manager for young band with great potential for world domination. Nothing too time consuming, just stuff that the band are too lazy to do... booking gigs, rehersals, press stuff etc

contact Tom for more info
    thomoore42@hotmail.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Doolap

Advertising yourself as a lazy band is just about the worst possible way of going about getting a manager. Using the internet would probably come a close second.

Why don't you check out the hotpress yearbook and ring some people up. It would probably look much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

I know this fella called Pete Waterman, he could help ya out, ye'z have to give him rimmers on demand but I'm sure you stallions would have no problem with that..wink wink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jamster

Why don't you check out the hotpress yearbook and ring some people up

I'm guessin' he's too lazy.

maybe they can't read? They are musicians after all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

surely the manager can't rehearse for you... kinda defeats the point of being in a band!

• Advertisement

kids these days, they want everything on a plate! even plates....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭asp

the band dont have time to do the things that a manager could be doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

asp wrote:
    the band dont have time to do the things that a manager could be doing...

like what?

seriously?

Ok, everytime I bring this up on other website forums, I just feckin slated. I mean stuff that a manager would be so much better at doing. Like organising proper gigs. We can easily organise and book a gig in Dublin, but its futile playing infront of 200 mates that you have managed to bring to a gig. They arent there because they like your music, they are there because they are your mates. Someone who has a few contacts and/or experience in approaching people about support gigs, showcase gigs, radio sessions whatever. Im rubbish at it, as I do not have time to be running around chasing people, and the other lads in the band are lazy ****. Example, I had to carry 5 guitars, a bag of cymbals and a very heavy Marshall combo (and most of you know who heavy those **** are) to O'Connell Street from Palmerstown.
    I know, it can be easily done by a manager (not the amp carrying), but theres only a certain amount that one person can do. Im not saying we are flooded with gigs etc, but thats the point. We need someone to push us in the right direction, get us some support gigs, college gigs, book scheduled rehersal time, recording time.

I admit, I am a lazy ****, but still....anyway....my lips are chapped. Got any chapstick?

Spinal Tap had a good manager.....

• Advertisement

asp wrote:
    They arent there because they like your music, they are there because they are your mates.

a manager cant make people like your music.

asp wrote:
    and the other lads in the band are lazy ****.

a manager wont change that. you'll still have to carry your own ****. if you dont like the fact that your band are lazy ****ers you should consider a) saying it to them or b) getting a new band who are as interested as you are.
    asp wrote:
    We need someone to push us in the right direction, get us some support gigs, college gigs, book scheduled rehersal time, recording time.

if you want someone to book gigs for you get a booking agent, not a manager.

no manager will book rehearsal time for you.
    asp wrote:
    We need someone to push us in the right direction

if you cant motivate yourselves what makes you think someone else will be able to?

anyway, hope i dont sound like a prick, just i dont think you need a manager. not to do the things your looking for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I believe Mr.Polarbelly has pretty much said it all.

If there were still those reputation point things about Mick, I'd approve that post.

"a manager cant make people like your music."

I didn't say that.

a manger to me wouldn't really want to have to manage a band who are a bunch of lazy people, its hardly an appatising though.. coem manage a band who are all lazy and want everything done for them!

asp wrote:
    "a manager cant make people like your music."

I didn't say that.

no you're right, you didnt

"We can easily organise and book a gig in Dublin, but its futile playing infront of 200 mates that you have managed to bring to a gig. They arent there because they like your music, they are there because they are your mates."

but you implied a manager will bring people who like your music and arent there just because they're your friends.

Why can't bands look after themselves? These people should actually try working for a living.

polarbelly wrote:
    no you're right, you didnt

"We can easily organise and book a gig in Dublin, but its futile playing infront of 200 mates that you have managed to bring to a gig. They arent there because they like your music, they are there because they are your mates."

but you implied a manager will bring people who like your music and arent there just because they're your friends.

Where is that implied? Please tell me, because I am finding it somewhat difficult to see! Whats the problem anyway? Are you all saying that bands should not have managers? We want a manager, get over it :)

look Mick, I aint havin a go or anything, but we were just told to get a manager. Alot of people have heard our recent demo and the first thing that they said was "get a manager NOW". I like advice...its good!
    How the hell can you afford to put on a free gig in TBMC by the way? That place is mad expensive to rent!

dude, i couldnt care less, i just think you dont need a manager yet. saying that, needs and wants are differnet things :)

when you said you wanted a manger to get you gigs, because at the moment you can only get friends into a venue... that implied that a manager would get people who arent friends into the venue

we didnt book the music centre its some record company showcase thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭T.B.L.

dont sound liek yous need a manager yet from here either
    eh mick, dont you guys have a manager though? of course yous are a lot further up the line of needing one but I think yous do..

• Advertisement

Why don't y'all make an attempt at doing something which has real potential to contribute to society......ur all the next big thing....blah blah blah
    Music is dead my friends so if any so you's are sucessful prepare to be merchandised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ba oom bop didi

asp wrote:
    We can easily organise and book a gig in Dublin, but its futile playing infront of 200 mates that you have managed to bring to a gig

If you can bring 200 mates to a gig you should be pretty damn happy with that

I wish I had 2 mates!

scarfacemj wrote:
    Why don't y'all make an attempt at doing something which has real potential to contribute to society......ur all the next big thing....blah blah blah
    Music is dead my friends so if any so you's are sucessful prepare to be merchandised.

we sell our merchandise at the hub. you should come along, its a great night out.

Hell yes it is Polar! Are you's playing there anytime soon? My mates won't go anymore which is sh1t, how I do miss my beloved Hub.....

If you can bring 200 mates to a gig you should be pretty damn happy with that

Yeh i know (LOADSA MONEYYY!!!) but thats pointless playing to the same group of mates :)
    I dont see the big problem with getting a manager. We were strongly advised to get a manager, as I dont have time to do much else other then write songs, reherse and work. I dont see what your problem is Mick. Fair enough, you got 'far' without a manager, but you guys probably have more time, experience and know how. We are as thick as pig **** and twice as smelly and we dont have time do anything that a manager should be doing. This post is doing my head in with all the unneseccary negative feedback.

Thats the beauty of the Phantom Fm boards for ya!

i did a music course recently and got told the band should do everything themselves until they really need a manager, and alot of the time a band have a manager far before they need one... thats my 2 pence

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

whats the name of your band, asp? have you got a website/demo online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

maybe you should write out a list of places to send yer demo, and don't limit yourselves to dublin... and include a little bio of the band... maybe you should leave out the lazy part... GET A DIARY and perhaps ring ahead to the places you're intendin to send demos to so that they'll be expecting them rather than gettin it and chuckin it on a pile in the corner of the office, and then follow them up... just start the ball rollin yourselves, a manager would be more inclined to work with some1 who's made some sort of effort to promote themselves already cos it makes their job a tad easier.... I'm Kent Brockman and that was My Two Cents

Advertisement