Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Electronics over here

Options
  • 02-02-2005 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All

I just bought an electronic drum kit while in New York recently. It has a US dual pin plug and US transformer.

If I buy a simple travel adaptor will that solve my problem? Or do I need to buy a new transformer for our electrical system?

Anyone know what I can do to get it working?? What voltage / amps / current will I need to get etc etc???

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Depends on the transformer that comes with it. So they have 110V @ 60Hz.. we have 220V @ 50Hz. A lot of transformers these days (for laptops, and smaller electronic equipment) are "dual" or "multi" voltage. So you'd need the supplied adaptor to be rated "110-220V" and "50-60Hz" (on the "input"). If it's only a 110V, then you'll need to buy a transformer (and not just the travel adaptor), or you'll make nice work of your equipment. Peats/Maplins type places should have them, but you'll need to find out the power rating which is usually printed on the transformer (on the one you have, that is).

So what's written on the transformer!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Real

My American transformer has a few different readings on it
    Input - AC120V 60Hz 20w
    Output - DC 12V 700mA

What will I need to ask for in the electrical shop to get it working here??
    I really dont need my equipment fried :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

AFAIK the transformers will convert the power. My mother bouth a laptop and just got a travel adaptor didn't have to change the transformer.

That is all.

John

Ok, so it's a single voltage transformer then .. so you do need a step down transformer (and not just a travel adaptor). So Peats do them, and I'm sure you can find other places too, probably for cheaper.

You're looking for a 220-110Volt Step Down transformer.

You need the 900mA one from Peats .. http://url.ie/2q .. as the 400mA one doesn't supply enough current for your needs (unless the transformer that came with it is grossly over-reated, which is unlikely).

HTH
    .cg

Lump wrote:
    AFAIK the transformers will convert the power. My mother bouth a laptop and just got a travel adaptor didn't have to change the transformer.

That is all.

John
    Yeah, but most laptops (if not all these days) come with a dual/multi voltage transformer.

.cg

• Advertisement

Well this laptop is about 5 years old.

John

Plus I got an mp3 player from the us, and I only use a standard adaptor and it works fine.

John

Read the ratings on the transforrmer then, if you don't believe me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

How about just getting a DC transformer over here with a 12V 700Ma output.

I presume the transformer you got with them is just connect4ed by a pin socket to the drums so a 12v Ire transformer the likes you get with most electical equipment over here should work as long as the Ma output is the same.

I have used this route and the UK/US transformer routes before.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Real

Yep. Looks like the step down transformer from Peats will do the trick

Thanks for the help guys!!

Real

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    Read the ratings on the transforrmer then, if you don't believe me. :)

The laptop is in a different country.

John

Advertisement