Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal workers issued IZh-71 9mm pistols

Options
  • 02-02-2005 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Irish Inddependent 02/02/05

DON'T shoot the messenger: she might shoot back.

Postal workers in Russia are to be issued with guns to deter thugs from stealing cash welfare payments.

Most Russians receive their post from puffing grannies of uncertain age and the prospect of such "babushkas" being forced to carry pistols has shocked a country used to violent crime.

"With their weapons and bullet-proof vests, workers who deliver pensions and benefits will soon resemble special forces rather than postmen," said one observer.

Officials are expected to issue IZh-71 9mm pistols - similar to the Makarov pistol favoured by professional hitmen - or service revolvers.

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Cue the emergence of the "going postal" phenomenon in Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Hmmmm considering the amount of local and rural[if you can find one] post offices that get blagged every year here.Maybe An post should consider this marvellous idea? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

I'm not surprised at this at all. In fact I would have thought they already carried guns. Loads of people who dont need them, carry guns in Russia. We were in Moscow in a toy shop 18 months ago and two security guards stopped my girlfriend taking a picture of a ferris wheel. They were dressed in khaki from head to toe and even had flak jackets on - what the hell was that about. I mean if your in the jungle and you want to blend in you wear camoflage and if your in a toy shop and you want to blend in would you not just dress like a shopper. Its wasnt even a real ferris wheel, it was just a scaled down ornament in a toy shop - what the hell was that about.

Advertisement