Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Installing SATA Hard drive

• 02-02-2005 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I formatted and reinstalled windows on an IDE harddrive in my machine lastnight. But when its up and running the SATA hd I use for data does not appear in My Computer.

I tried booting from the xp cd again and hitting F6 to intsall SATA drivers. After doing this and perfoming a repair on the existing XP install, still no joy.
    (Actually on the SATA driver disk that came with my motherboard there are 4 drivers, Intel, Via and 2 Silicon. I take it I should be using the Intel as its a P4 machine?)

After googling, the majority of of problems seem to be people trying to install xp ON a SATA hd.
    That not what Im trying to do.

I remember having problems when I first installed this HD but it turned out to be a dodgy power connector that time.

My motherboard is an Abit IS7
    30gig Maxtor IDE (OS)
    120gig Maxtor SATA (problem)
    Win XP Pro

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
    Wavey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Not necessarily an intel chipset.

What make & model of motherboard / PC is it?

Dell/HP pretty much guarantees it's Intel, but VIA and SIS make P4 chipsets also for Abit, Gigabyte, MSI motherboards and others.

If you can google the motherboard model it should show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

The motherboard is an ABIT IS7.

And I just checked, it is an Intel chipset.

This is still not working!!

Can anybody help???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

More dumb qns,
    Does your version of the IS7 have the sata raid bios option enabled, might help to switch to IDE mode as suggested in the faq.

Can you see whether the drive is detected before windows starts?

Thanks Ressem,
    I've tried loads of combinations of all the settings mentioned on the ABIT website but still no joy.
    I am reinstalling XP with SP2 streamlined, Could this be a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Enable the Bootable PCI Raid*card in Bios

It will show then , when you see the SATA bios on load go into it make sure HD is on channel 0.

*It has many names that would a combo of all them its in integrated peripherals.
    kdjac

Got it going lastnight!!!

Turns out the IS7 dosent like to be overclocked before addind new equipment.
    All I had to do was set the AGP Ratio to fixed and hey presto!
    I never would have figure that out!!

Thanks for the replies lads.

Advertisement