Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap Starer Motor VW Polo anywhere?

Options
  • 02-02-2005 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

does any of you know where I could get a starter motor cheaper then with the VW Dealer directly?

Is there a place that deals with used parts, or maybe some spare parts company that might have it cheaper.

I am not sure if I wanna spend 300 euro at the VW Dealer. Just looking for a cheaper option.

THX,
    DSAB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Avoid VW stealers at all costs!

Did you try a scrap yard. Have a look through the goldenpages (http://www.goldenpages.ie) and start ringing around. Save yourself a fortune.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

If you use the form here they will send an email (with your request) to all of their members and if someone has it they'll call you back.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ur looking at 150euro from german swedish in behind woodies on the nass road. avoid used parts. labour will be more when they fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

try Balfe Myles Ltd 24 Phibsboro rd, 7 (01) 8307544

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

What is wrong with it? There are auto electricians all over the place that can refurb your old one for not too much - I just finished a water damaged Ibiza and the starter motor cost €72 to get a new solenoid, brushes and bearings fitted.

See the Golden Pages under Car and Commercial Electrical services.

'c

• Advertisement

Ratchet wrote:
    try Balfe Myles Ltd 24 Phibsboro rd, 7 (01) 8307544

they charged me 80 euro for starter refurb and was like new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ditto the above - there's no starter that can't be reconditioned for half the price of new.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Ditto the above - there's no starter that can't be reconditioned for half the price of new.

Mike.

do they remove the old one and fit it for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Usually. It depends if you leave the car with the auto electrician or just drop the starter in...I've done both at diferent times.

Mike.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Buy a set of replacement brushes ( a few quid) and install then in the starter motor. It's the usual cause. If that doesn't work get it refurb'ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Dr. Spock wrote:
    If you use the form here they will send an email (with your request) to all of their members and if someone has it they'll call you back.

Good luck!

Handy link that www.imvra.com, sent an email last night looking for Honda Rear tail light and got call this morning to say someone has it so ordered and on its way to me! Very impressed :)

stratos wrote:
    Buy a set of replacement brushes ( a few quid) and install then in the starter motor. It's the usual cause. If that doesn't work get it refurb'ed.

bendix, bushing or solenoid will usually go before brushes.

refurb is the way to go. all the parts will cost you close to 50 yoyo's which is not worth it, when you can get 80 euro refurb which has new:
    brushes
    bendix
    bushing
    and Commutator reconditioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

All I can say is the 2 starter motor problems I had were brushes,they cost about 2 pounds in old money and were fitted in seconds. seems like a worthwhile bet. Or even inspect the old ones. But whatta I know.

Advertisement