Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An announcement due later on today Enterprise has been cancelled

• 02-02-2005 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

Well it looks like after weeks of speculation and rumours, the official word on Enterprises future is that as of today its cancelled

An admin at www.williamshatner.com was the first to hear that the announcement will be made by UPN and paramount execs

And so ends the most hated or loved Star Trek yet (depending on what part of the fence you sit on), where Star Trek goes from here is anybodys guess, with the shelving of the Prequel Trek Feature and the ending of enterprise and no new shows lined up for the foreseeable future, it looks like the Franchise for now is dead in the water

Im keeping an eye on several sites and will post the announcement up as and when it comes down from paramount

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

and season 4 was looking so good :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

They can't stop flogging that horse.... even though its dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

upn said it wouldnt be more than a year before a new star trek show was up and running if and when enterprise was cancelled a few months back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I agree with NeoSlicerZ. It' d be a real shame IF it is cancelled at this stage.

IMHO Seasons 1 to 3 were lame, totally lame but so far Season 4 has been pretty good.
    At least season 4 has been actually like Star Trek rather than whatever pointless teen-oriented soap opera Braga and Berman were aiming for in Seasons 1-3. IE they (Manny Coto it seems) have tried to fix things in season 4 like explaining why the Vulcans dont act like Vulcans and they have had real continuity with TOS and other series (ie not just trying to jam in anachronistic appearences from the Ferengi and the Borg because they just couldn't think of anything else to do).

PS there's no news of any actual cancellation on startrek.com or trekweb.com as of the time of writing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

well for the moment someone seems to have been having a laugh

http://www.williamshatner.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15138

I hope it is a laugh cause i dont want to see it go

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

http://www.trektoday.com/news/020205_04.shtml

Iv been dreading this all day. :(:(:(

press release guys sorry it is true enterprise has been cancelled

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=30302

UPN Cancels Enterprise

UPN and Paramount Network Television jointly announced Feb. 2 that its low-rated Star Trek: Enterprise has been canceled after five seasons. "This will be the final season of Star Trek: Enterprise on UPN," the companies said. The series finale will air on May 13. When Star Trek: Enterprise ends its run, it will mark the first time since 1987 that no new Trek series will appear on the air.

Enterprise becomes the first Trek series to end prematurely since the original Star Trek aired on NBC in the 1960s. All previous Trek spinoff series, including The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager, have completed seven-season runs.

This year, new executive producer Manny Coto re-energized Enterprise's storylines with episodes that hearkened back to the original series. Last year, the series attempted an ambitious season-long story arc centering on the hunt for the Xindi.

UPN said that the prequel series will have produced a total of 98 episodes. The early cancellation announcement presumably allows producers to write and produce a series finale.

Damn i was hoping it wasnt true, leaves Trek dead in the water as of now

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

well that sux. :(
    imo enterprise rocked, plain and simple.
    btw was season 3 the last 1 shown over here? and season 4 is on across the water now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They'll have to move forward now, past the Voyager time.

Twill probably do a TOS, and become a cult series. :)

well that sux. :(
    I couldn't have put it better myself- yeah - it sucks the big one.

@ing Hollywood to cancel the series right in the middle of when it's finally getting good.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    Twill probably do a TOS, and become a cult series. :)

Are you sure you spelt that right?

I mean in fairness season 4 has been good but season 1-3 .... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Lets face it any series that takes 3 seasons to get good deserves to die. Both DS9 and STV needed and got a kick up the ass around the 3-4 season mark. A franchise as big as ST has no excuse for producing mediocre early seasons - especially with all the experience they should have gained over the last 15 years or so.

Contrast the lame first seasons of DS9, STV and Enterprise to the incredible first season of the new BSG - now thats how you continue a franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm quite gutted. I really liked Enterprise despite its obvious flaws. They told lots of good stories, and I think they had a lot more to tell. The writers really wanted it to link in with the other shows, TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager and they were doing a good job. I sincerely hope it's not the end of Star Trek. Even if it's not, we certainly won't see another show for at least a few years :confused::( :mad: :rolleyes: :o

Lads it was **** for 2 years decent for 1 and good for 1 but the ratings where gone after the first 2 years and they wherent coming back..Hopefully now we will get a future star trek show with the uss titan or something like that Christ sake give the feds transwarp and let them explore new galaxies or something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I have to agree with secret_squirrel. Even assuming this season is good, it's taken too long. A quality show like "Firefly" got cancelled midway through its season, despite being of a much higher calibre and BSG's future is uncertain still. I really can't believe Enterprise would've gotten as far as it had if it had not got the Trek label attached to it.

Anyone know how much an episode costs to make? How much was UPN spending?

1.5 million dollors i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

While I am saddened to see it go, there was a certain inevitability to its end. Like most of the sentiments expressed on this thread, it was simply too little, too late. I enjoyed the Xindi arc and what I've seen of Season Four so far but why were chances the make a truly unique prequel squandered? A talented ensemble cast gave way to the triumvirate of Archer, Tucker and T'Pol as the seasons went on.

I'm certain there were a lot of carry-over fans (including myself) when Voyager ended and Enterprise was clearly the heir apparent but unfortunately it was not to be.

Series creators Berman and Braga had become reviled for their tinkering with canon and their self-penned lacklustre storylines. IMO the creative reins were handed over to Manny Coto only when their arrogance was confronted with plummeting ratings.

But to look on the more positive side of things, a rest will do Trek no harm at all. It probably needs a break after its continuous output since TNG first aired in 1987. I have no doubt that it will return in some form...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

After watching the new Galactica, I'd love to see a Ronald D. Moore run series (not to forget DS9 either), remote as it probably is now. Ah well, Michael Straczynski said he wanted to make a Trek series, maybe we'll get that sometime.

And I really hated the end of the Xindi arc while on the topic-Degra was one of the most interesting characters I've seen in a while, and they killed him off out of hand, deus ex machina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It seemed pretty much inevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Well i em what emmm i erm hmmmm the way i see it is enterprise is picking up and i am very veryu much looking forward to a future enterpise episode called dark mirror sounds like a great 2 parter

• Advertisement

User45701 wrote:
    Well i em what emmm i erm hmmmm the way i see it is enterprise is picking up and i am very veryu much looking forward to a future enterpise episode called dark mirror sounds like a great 2 parter

Ya great stuff its picking up pitty its dead mind but there you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

As far as I'm concerned I hope it burns in Hell.... That show went against the Prime Directive it was so drab. I remember that ridiculous Nazi episode. Like the series as a whole it had potential but it turned out a joke. ;)

I wouldnt worry though, there will be a new series eventually.

Lets face it any series that takes 3 seasons to get good deserves to die. Both DS9 and STV needed and got a kick up the ass around the 3-4 season mark. A franchise as big as ST has no excuse for producing mediocre early seasons - especially with all the experience they should have gained over the last 15 years or so.

Contrast the lame first seasons of DS9, STV and Enterprise to the incredible first season of the new BSG - now thats how you continue a franchise.

Very well put.

I would have had no complaint at all if it had been cancelled anytime during seasons 1-3. The really sad thing is that it is just starting to get good.
    Well at least we have the balance of season 4 to look forward to.
    Lets hope they go out with a bang !

(And due to the economic value of this "franchise" I'm sure TPTP will make an effort not to leave the fans with too much of a bad taste in their mouths - whether they can succeed or not.....)

it also seems now that there is a re-imagining of Quantum Leap in the works, and that Scott Bakula has wanted for some time to be off Star Trek so he could go back to leap and either Star or Executive produce that show

Lets hope that one had nothing to do with the other

Shin

http://trekweb.com/articles/2005/02/03/4201c230de2cf.shtml

Well this could just be reactionary considering the events of yesterday, but rick berman has said that it could be at least 3 years or more before Trek is back on our screens

Meanwhile the featue film with an all new cast is now apparently going ahead

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

ahh thats terrible news.

personally i liked enterprise,
    best thing about it was that it was new ST.
    now we'll just have to wait too long a time. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

TBH, the Star Trek franchise has been slowly running out of seam for long time. Both DS9 and Voyager needed revitalization half way through their runs and the movies have been going from bad to worse.

Enterprise, while it had it’s good points, was ultimately too formulaic, with the first season desperately trying to introduce all the familiar or most popular aspects of the other series (such as the Borg or Ferengi) even though they’d not been discovered yet and T’Pol as the token eye candy (well, introducing 7-of-9 saved Voyager, after all) - did anyone stop to ask how come she still got to wear all those skin tight outfits even after she joined Star Fleet?

Ultimately, even while it had its good points it simply wasn’t very imaginative or ground breaking, which is why the Star Trek franchise has been increasingly under attack by competition such as Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica. Hopefully this cancellation will result in their learning their lesson and hiring some new writers.

Star trek is massive all it needs is a good producer like manny coto to give it the kick it needs you should never be able to run out of stories tbh

just before the cancellation Manny Coto was interviewed by Bill Shatners daughter Liz on her radio show at www.thefandom.com, the tantalising glimpses of what he had in store for season 5 is pretty damn interesting to say the least, its a damn shame he wont get to realise those ideas now

On the plus side the saveenterprise group and the Enterpise Project has said today that there not giving up the fight, blaming UPN's lack of promotion of the show as a contributing factor to it s demise and the fact that UPN was only available in certain markets in the states forced paramounts hand so to speak

There hoping that with enough fan support they can persuade paramount to change its mind and perhaps punt Enterprise onto another station with a wider audience

Heres hoping but i doubt anything will come of it

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Ah i just read about here http://trekweb.com/articles/2005/02/02/4201365f81666.shtml

Trek is dead what a pity, I supose a big letter writing campagin will ensue to try revive it but id say its dead for good. I think season 3 was really the end and they made season 4 so they would have their 100 epps so it could go into syndication. Ah well its the end of an era that began in 1986. Well 19 years of constant trek on TV wasent bad really! the simpsons in only on 16 years on the trot!

Advertisement