Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone hate the charity workers on the street?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

RasTa wrote:
    Typical Irish moan moan moan moan
    "O we get stoped on the street on our way to nowhere"

Yea its all a scam all them feckers stand there in the cold getting told to feck off by most ppl who walk by them but they magically make 1,000 quid a week. Like all the blacks get cars when they come into the country.

No i dont or ever have worked for the company but i respect them for what there doing. Its a tough job and at least the money if not all of it is going to a good cause. Not like the cowards on here who are probaly lying saying they ignore them or "no im foreign"
    Horsecrap. They're leeches out to make as much cash for themselves as possible, not volunteers. I have no respect for them because they obviously have none for themselves. Hassling people is one thing, hell I used to be one of those "roll up, give it a try" guys at a fairground, but doing it in the name of a charity which will receive a minority of the money collected is just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

yeah i'd like to see how you react when you;re being stopped by a few of them who block ur path and youre in a rush somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• No i dont or ever have worked for the company but i respect them for what there doing. Its a tough job and at least the money if not all of it is going to a good cause. Not like the cowards on here who are probaly lying saying they ignore them or "no im foreign"

Bullsh*t. Barely any of that money is going to a good cause, says every single person I've ever met that's worked for one of these 'charities'. More to the point, it's disgusting that they make people feel like crap for not signing up. Nobody is obliged to give anything. I collect for a charity in my lunch hours from college, and I'm not paid a penny. I stand in the freezing cold with a bucket for 2 hours just to help people. When someone once asked me if I got paid, I said, of course not. I couldn't believe it when I heard what these 'charity' feckers with the clipboards make. I have absolutely no respect for them now. It's even worse than the people with questionnaires and leaflets. At least they're not using moral blackmail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I let one of them stop me once; now I give five euros a month to Gorta. It's hard to listen to the spiel and then go 'eh, no, I can't give you the equivalent of about five pee a day'. But now I never, ever, stop. They get a 'no, sorry', or a 'I CAN'T HEAR YOU..WHAT'S THAT? YOU WANT ME TO TAKE THEM OFF? BUT LOOK, I'M ALREADY HALFWAY DOWN THE STREET..BYE NOW' if I'm wearing headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

It's a swindle, how else can they post ads around UCD looking for touts and offering $$$, in bold writing no less. I wouldn't give them the steam off my, eh, porridge.

They didn't seem so bad when i got back from Vietnam, there cyclo drivers would tail you for a mile down the road, then wait outside the restaurant or whatever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Although im 18 most people tell me i look younger, so if they ask me to stop i just tell them im only 17 and they dont want to talk to me then.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I agree that these people are scamming the public to earn money and using a charitable organisation to make it seem right. Its a legal loophole that if they give a piddling percentage they can use a charity name, and it should be banned. (Or they are completely fake and just arent getting caught.)
    What Im wondering tho, is everyone here seems to have them sussed and noone said 'oh yes I support them why not?' So who is giving them enough money to earn €1000 per week? They must be catching hundreds of poor suckers a day. Who are these people and are they so naive?

One particular 'scam' a few years ago was buy a scratch card for 'job creation' -the only jobs created were the bloody card sellers! -misleading, but perfectly legal.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A mate of mine was talking to his neighbour just before Christmas. She happened to mention that her student son was doing the collecting thing for one of the main charities and that for every person he signed up to direct debit donations he got a commission of €8. On top of that he got a bonus if he hit a particular target. As they usually try to get people to commit to €5 or €10 a month, €8 is a sizeable chunk of your first month or two's donations that won't be going to the charity.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I applied for a job with Concern as one of their "fundraisers". This was the info I was given.

1) you get paid a flat rate of €10/hr and then after 3 mths it goes up to €12.

2) you do not get commission

3) you are NOT to hard sell, ask politely to talk to them, if they refuse just let them go.

And AFAIK Concern gives quite a large proportion of the money it raises to its programmes.

In the end I didn't get the job, but I don't mind the concern guys.

The worst by far are those guys from the Hanley Centre (addict recovery centre) who mostly come out in the summer. They seem to be only on commission as they seriously hassle you and chase you. My friend who has a brother who suffers from alcohol and drug abuse got seriously upset by one of these guys saying "Don't you care about victims of alcohol abuse?" Another one of them growled at us when we wouldn't buy one of his scratchcards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Oh I hate them. They're more annoying than the homeless people. In fact, if it was homeless people hassling people on the street there would be uproar. I'm usually listening to my walkman as soon as I spot one looking at me I just smile, shake my head and keep walking. The more persistent ones jump in front of me and say something but I can't hear what they're saying and I just walk around them.

I was walking down Grafton street with some mates and a girl came up to us with the usual "Can you spare a minute..." and my mate said "Me no speak Engleese". Then another one of them further down the street came over and started giving us abuse for not stopping for the girl. Muppets. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've perfected my 'undertaker' look. yo u know, the huge wrestling guy who used to get out of a coffin to get in the ring (before he cleaned up his act).

I just stare through them like I'd be happy to stab them in the guts just to warm my hands up. i don't even try and go round them. very rarly get bothered and when i do they soon stop. i think it may help that I'm 6'5" and built like a brick sh1thouse.

the only other time i've used it is for xmas shopping on grafton street, but that was only out of necessity.

I'm not always like that though, i always let old ladies (and usually young ones) have my seat on the bus. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

RasTa wrote:
    Typical Irish moan moan moan moan
    "O we get stoped on the street on our way to nowhere"

Yea its all a scam all them feckers stand there in the cold getting told to feck off by most ppl who walk by them but they magically make 1,000 quid a week. Like all the blacks get cars when they come into the country.

No i dont or ever have worked for the company but i respect them for what there doing. Its a tough job and at least the money if not all of it is going to a good cause. Not like the cowards on here who are probaly lying saying they ignore them or "no im foreign"

Right. Where do I start?

I'm English. I also don't like being harrassed by people who are getting paid under the pretence of collecting for charities. I wasn't aware of any Irish ancestors but obviously I need to research the family trees... being averse to ****, clearly a Celtic thing...

They stand in the cold and get told to feck off? They get paid to stand in the cold and get told to feck off, and they get paid more than they would flipping burgers in Macdonalds. At least with the former occupation you get fresh air rather than the pleasant aroma of grease... so why should I respect them again?

Ah I remember now, because they're collecting for charity. But haven't we already established that other people do the same thing for no payment at all? Yeah, I thought so.

Finally, why would we lie about ignoring them or pretending to be foreign? How does cowardice fit into the picture?

Good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

AlcoholicA wrote:
    a little of topic but there was one collecting for some rape organisation, and i was listening to my cd player and she stopped me and starting telling me how bad rape was...as if i just fell from the sky, anyway as soon as she opened her mouth the song Cannibal Corpse - Stripped Raped & Stangled came on my discman... i was like eh, i have to go and she asked what i was listening to!..... i didnt tell her though, shud have.

classic! hammer smashed face would have been good too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Same answer every day to Have you got a moment please?
    I Feign a little interest then say.
    "I didn't last week, I didn't yesterday,I didn't at lunchtime. Now F*** Off" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

"Like all the blacks get cars when they come into the country."
    I CANT HELP LAUGHING AT THIS!!
    I know what you(rasta) were getting at & its not true admittedly but the way its phrased here just makes it seem more hilarious!!
    Imagine earth wind & fire coming to Ireland on a world tour getting presented with a boxy 1990's toyota each !!based purely on the colour of their skin!!
    (or maybe you meant the all blacks which would just be really silly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

They don't even say "have you got a moment please?".

I get the "Hi...are you a student?" opener. "No...I'm the MD of a huge multinational corporation. I just choose to dress like this during the week so that charity workers will hassle me for money".... :mad:

some day if i have the time, i'm going to pick one and bother them all day long, follow them around, keep asking for their time, try and follow them home see how freaked they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Chuggers rely on bullying and intimidation to get people to sign up/contribute

they should be castrated / spayed

I despise them

I usually do the following

- say "yeah, my arse, your face"

- or else cover my face with a newspaper as I walk past them

In Blackrock I saw a guy cross the road when he saw a Concern Volunteer approach him. He then shouted over "Look I'm crossing the road to avoid you - do not get the message?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I always find if you ask a little bit about the charity, how its run, what they do, what does the seller do etc and jus as they start to get excited about making a sale pull a legger and tear off down the street. Bonus points if ya get a free sticker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I always say "sorry, no english" in a foreign accent. Works every time.

I go with some thing like that, except I dont bother with the accent. That really pisses them off.
    "Nah mate I don't speak English, sorry"

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The Hanly Centre are bit hard to take. Try working in Grafton Street for the summer - you'd think they'd leave people working in the shops (and they're easy enough to spot) alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

my friend worked for concern in dublin city centre but quit it after 2 days cos she just couldnt harass people. She was taught how to get peoples attention, to waffle off a sob story about a village in somalia and to keep talking so that the person doesnt have time to talk back or ask questions. she earned E12 an hour for this. its known as "Charity Mugging" or "Chugging" in the UK. Its a disgraceful way of getting donations. First of all anyone in their right mind wouldnt hand over their bank details to a complete stranger on the street. The amount of them on Liffey St and Henry St is unbelievable. its a game of dodge the chugger walking around dublin city centre. i was having an awful day in college one day and one guy followed me down henry st talking, talking, talking, i turned around and exploded "im a f*cking satanist, let them f*cking starve". he was so stunned he just stopped in his tracks and walked off in the other direction. i felt bad in retrospect for saying something so horrible but it felt damn good at the time! They came down to kilkenny for 2wks before xmas and one followed me from work to where i go to buy my lunch and waited outside. now thats harassment...all his chugger friends stopped me in the space of 3-4 mins

Charity workers are prostitutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I wish that was true.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

test - please reply if you can see this (im not spamming, this message will be removed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭captainplanet

i'm sorry, whats wrong with being polite to people? very few people deserve to be treated like ****. have some respect.
    how many times have you actually just gone straight past charity workers when you're not in a rush. ok so they are earning a lot of money and it'd be better if they wernt profiting out of other peoples pain but at least they are doing something to help.

whats wrong with being polite to people? very few people deserve to be treated like ****

very few people indeed, "charity" collectors are definitely on my list of people to treat like crap. It's their job to pester thousands of people in the hope a small percentage of them cough up some guilt money. it's like spam.

if it doesn't bother you at all to be asked the same thing 3 times in 30 seconds... lucky you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Don't these parasites need a permit from the council to collect money? Complain to the cops/council anout them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I detest them, but they aren't all con artists. Some of them work for a flat rate, the Oxfam and Concern ones anyway. The genuine charities will give you a break down of the figures, who earns what and how much is used in projects. just ring them and ask.
    And those ones also often operate on a two complaints and you're out policy to the collectors. So if one grabs or follows you get their name and complain to the head office, don't just moan about it.
    And no matter how high and mighty we are about it, very few of us can afford to give 39 hours a week to charity for free. Even relief workers, shelter managers, helpline managers and counsellors have bills to pay and families to support. I work for a charity, not in a way that hassles anyone like that, but as much as I'd love to be able to turn away my salary every month I have rent of €900 a month, plus food, electricity and phone bills, and I also like to treat myself to the exact same things everyone on this thread does. I'm also hoping to buy a house this year.
    That doesn't mean I don't make an enormous contribution to the cause I work for, my salary is justified by the return brought in by my work. I could also achieve more than three times it in the commercial sector. Being paid for my work does not make me a con artist.
    I would have thought however that €11 an hour was a bit excessive. Then again how many people on this thread said they couldn't manage to do the work for more than 2 days, I guess it's an employees market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

bopper wrote:
    Although im 18 most people tell me i look younger, so if they ask me to stop i just tell them im only 17 and they dont want to talk to me then.

Really? Where do you live? I'm 16, I look younger and I get stopped all the time..usually by those scratchcard guys...I have to grab my friends away...they're all conscientious and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

Yea getting asked for 5 minutes of your time sucks alot more than walking 4 miles a day for water. Or getting raped for that matter

Yea getting asked for 5 minutes of your time sucks alot more than walking 4 miles a day for water. Or getting raped for that matter

5 minutes, 7 times a week, 52 weeks a year = 1,820 minutes. Imagine what you could do with those precious minutes.

These people dont do what they do to make a differance, they did it for money. Nothing more.
    How can anyone justify paying these people 12 euro an hour, if they were really serious about making a differance then they would do it ona voluntary basis.

But wouldnt it be really hard to find loadsa people to do it voluntarily? it must obv be paying off if theyre still doing it

ColHol wrote:
    But wouldnt it be really hard to find loadsa people to do it voluntarily? it must obv be paying off if theyre still doing it

Im not agueing that it would be diffficult to find people to do it for free. Im just saying that people who defend these assholes are ignorant if they believe that they are doing it to make a differance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

You cant just group all the people "who look for five minutes of your time" in the same group. People that go out for concern or oxfam (on a voluntary basis) or anything similar for that matter deserve a tiny bit off respect for what they're doing. Not to be told to f88k off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Any one of them that does not accept "no" for an answer does deserve to be told to fu<k off.

Im not agueing that it would be diffficult to find people to do it for free. Im just saying that people who defend these assholes are ignorant if they believe that they are doing it to make a differance.
    well it would come down to the individual in that case. Like i know guys who used to do it and got savage commision for it, but thats it, commission, so that was their incentive. I wouldnt tar all the charity workers with the one brush though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As a rule I never give money to any street charity collectors. When they harass me in the street I just hold out my hand (as in stop), say no and keep walking. My view of the matter is that if people want to give money to charity they should do it through a direct means that goes directly to a major reputable organisation and does not get ripped to shreds by collectors and middlemen. Luckily, I'm the sort of cold impersonal character who has no problem ignoring someone even if they are being nice to me.

Likewise I refuse to deal with anyone who cold calls to my door (to the point of having given up the chance of a small saving of money in the past) and politely get rid of the. If anyone cold calls my phone I just ask them where they got my number, for their company details and request that they do not try to ring me again. No one ever has but if they did I'd report them to the data comissioner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

i swear to god im gonna bring a gun into town one day and shoot every one of them, they hassle me going into work, they hassle me on my lunch break, on my way back from lunch break, on my way home from work, 5 days a week, same people, to be honest anyone who deliberately gets in your way on a busy enough grafton st deserves to be shot in the head :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You cant just group all the people "who look for five minutes of your time" in the same group. People that go out for concern or oxfam (on a voluntary basis) or anything similar for that matter deserve a tiny bit off respect for what they're doing. Not to be told to f88k off.
    Is there a list anywhere of the charities where collectors are unpaid ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Repli wrote:
    i swear to god im gonna bring a gun into town one day and shoot every one of them, they hassle me going into work, they hassle me on my lunch break, on my way back from lunch break, on my way home from work, 5 days a week, same people, to be honest anyone who deliberately gets in your way on a busy enough grafton st deserves to be shot in the head :mad: :mad:
    Simple stategy - talk to all of them once like you give fúck. Next time you meet them you know what to say:
    1. "Oh I already have a direct debit setup - it's all I can afford right now...".

2. "I sent a donation and was delighted not to get more begging mail from your organisation. I'll give more when I can afford it!" (not many fall into this category).

3. "I had a vision from the Lord Shri Krishna that excused me from shaving my head and wearing wax on my forehead - wanna hear about it? :) ".

4. Carry 11c in one pocket. "Big Issue - I'd love one! Oh wait! :p "

5. In traffic - offer palm ful of coins - "The Herald please! Oh sorry!" <repocket change>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think that giving any kind of excuse is just letting them win. Just give them a polite no every time then ignore them.

Is there a list anywhere of the charities where collectors are unpaid ??
    Not that I'm aware of... I personally hate charities that pocket 5-25% of what they are donated. Remember a BBC program years ago documenting the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan. Muslims worldwide were donating millions - those guys didn't see a penny of it!

I would put the following charities in the sin-bin: Concern, Sightsavers, Trocaire, Oxfam etc.

I would rate goal as the best Irish charity. I don't know enough about Médecin sans frontiers. I know people in the tzu chi foundation - and this is the only charity that impresses me ([EDIT] I should have mentioned I know people in Concern [/EDIT]. I know a guy (doctor who's holidays are all dedicated to this on a volunteer basis- he even pays many of his expenses himself!)

www.goal.ie, www.tzuchi.org. Note also Tzu Chi don't accept credit card payments - no 1.75% overhead!

If there is no list - it starts here: 1. Tzu Chi Foundation

? Goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

would you like to support concern, no i Fcuking wouldnt im a student i cant support myself let alone you money grabbing bastards, now get the fcuk outta my face before i shove that clip board up your hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

humanatarian eh...... suppose you are out there giving it wellie every day at the top of grafton street. muppet!!!!!
    even if you do sign up for these bullsh1t charaties that are out canvasing most of the money goes on administration. if your giving them 8 euro a month that pays one of them knobs on the street for 1 hours work. ya really charatible

tintinr35 wrote:
    would you like to support concern, no i Fcuking wouldnt im a student i cant support myself let alone you money grabbing bastards, now get the fcuk outta my face before i shove that clip board up your hole.
    In my day there was no excuse for a post such as this - we had free condoms and ky jelly :eek: well limited frebies :eek: :p

Not sure clipboard up the jaxxi is anymore humane with lubricant though! Still deserved imho! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

just ask them for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

they never come near me...dont know what it could be that keeps them away...Its like the cashiers in supermarkets never ask me if i have any of those stupid cards...i just look poor. (despite being a fat basterd)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

grafton st is about the worst, u say no to one then 2 seconds later another one is asking you etc...and you're trying to get your lunch.......i only get half an hour anyway so time is everything

• Advertisement
Advertisement