Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scooby servicing (& query for Mods)

Options
  • 02-02-2005 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My beloved, hard-working Impreza needs some uner-the-bonnet TLC. Nothing drastic, but the servicing interval's come up & I just don't get the time to do this myself these days + it's on 'waiting list' to get NCT'd & reg'd over here (why does everybody and their pets wants a brand new car in January?:rolleyes:), so I might get it done properly.

Problem is I don't know any reputable dealers/garages around Dublin. I've searched the Forum, the stickies (hence question below) & pm'd a guy who was selling his '00 turbo a while back... nothing yet.

So, 1) query to you all guys: where to go to get my 2.0 non-turbo, 65k miles, '97 Impreza properly looked after for a reasonable price?

2) query to the Mods (Mike65?): should there be another sticky, or an update to 'The Knowledge', in which people can post 'reputable' dealers, based on price and customer care for a 'standard' service? Or is thre one already and I've missed it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

You could try Dublin Automotive in Killbarrick, I won't say he's an expert but he imports them and services them. The owners son who works there too is an enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Thank you kindly, stratos. Is Killbarrick near Dublin, btw? (haven't got my road map handy right now...) Cos' either myself or wife + baby will have to take it, + may take a while as I want a proper 60k-miler job doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Dublin Automotive Services
    Kilbarrack Ind Est, 5
    (01) 8392811

from golden pages,
    there right beside howth junction dart station

Thanks a bunch! Didn't have to take the trouble to look it up, I'd have done myself tonight - but thanks a Mil$ :)

slow day in work ...... ;)

• Advertisement

Well... Thanks to whichever customer's letting you have a slow day ;)

I'll drop by there tomorrow & have a chat + let them have a look.

Very timely as well, as since I posted this thread I've now started to get a faint burning smell once the engine warms up... Looked everywhere for tell-tale signs (oil patches, smoke, stains, melted plastics, etc.) - nothing.
    Can't even tell if it's from the front (engine) or the back (exhaust) :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ambro, another sticky????????? :D

I'm tempted but what I'd prefer is to include them in The Knowledge which I'll rename so its clear that it contains specific info on workshops/garages etc.

So if peeps would like to PM me with good honest info based on your own experience (there's nothing better) I'll put in in ASAP.

Mike.

Good one, Mike.

True, many stickies already, but I think the info it (hopefully) yields will be a worthwhile addition. Bit of a job for you, though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Mike - hows about two (pref. unlocked) stickies - one for NAMED and one for SHAMED ?

Knowing where to avoid is just as, (if not more so), useful then knowing where is good after all...

what about libel?
    it is easy to verify people stories of mistreatment, leaving boards wide open.

fair enough the good stories good be bs too, but no one gets in trouble for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

It's not libel if its true...

Just got a quote from a certain main dealer very near Dublin, for 60k service: €1450 :eek:

All filters, all oils/liquids (gearbx, trannie, brakes), F/B brakes, Timing belt & €50's worth of wipers :mad:

They a bit taking the p*ss over here, or am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

ambro25 wrote:
    Just got a quote from a certain main dealer very near Dublin, for 60k service: €1450 :eek:

All filters, all oils/liquids (gearbx, trannie, brakes), F/B brakes, Timing belt & €50's worth of wipers :mad:

They a bit taking the p*ss over here, or am I missing something?

Thats laughable ...granted the boxer units are hard to work on - did you make sure you told them it wasn't a turbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chalk wrote:
    what about libel?
    it is easy to verify people stories of mistreatment, leaving boards wide open.

fair enough the good stories good be bs too, but no one gets in trouble for that.

Libel is'nt an issue if one is expressing an opinion based on experience, you would only get into trouble if you stated something as fact when not. ie "garage x fitted bogus brake pad,s I know so cos I crashed into someone today..." when in fact the pads are legit.

Mike.

$lash wrote:
    did you make sure you told them it wasn't a turbo?

Yup :(

Will send a email shortly asking whether I get a free BJ from the receptionist to go with that :D

Remember this thread?

Well, I'm only dredging this temporarily from the Forum's depths to state, hoping against hope that someone in Subaru Bray reads this, that the main Subaru dealer (Monty's) in Sheffield, UK, will gladly take 'Beastie' in for a full 60k service and valet for GBP 355. That compares with your EUR 1478.

Pity I've got to ferry + drive for it, but Glad I can take the opportunity to visit family.

In 5 words, as in one: eat sh*t, f*ckers - and die

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Ambro,

Good for you, Personally think you should send a well worded letter to the papers or radio, perhaps a post to a Irish Subaru enthuaisiast website?... By my estimate that is almost three times the price?. Are they shipping their mechanics from the UK or something?

Might be making some phone calls when it comes time to do a major service on my car.

edmund_f wrote:
    Are they shipping their mechanics from the UK or something?

Nope, I gotta go there ('bout 100 miles or so from Hollyhead, just other of Penines from Manchester). But I've got family there, so I've timed logistics well, is all.

All the same, though, even if I didn't know anyone, I reckon I'd have a ton of cash spare from a return ferry ticket + petrol + service + a night in a B&B & wining & dining the better Half, with service and valet from a main Subaru dealer (and one better, I'd also get a free MOT thrown in if I wanted to - not bothered as I'm reg'ing it in IE, though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Good for you AMbro.... forward the quotation onto the guys who orginally quoted you, and ask for an explanation. It would be interesting to see what their take is on it.

Gonna do one better. I regularly take my baby daughter to Bray for seafront wlaks at week-ends, so I reckon I'll just 'nip in' after I've had it serviced in the UK, with the bill (can't get better proof than that) and the car, then do a Julia Roberts (in Pretty Woman, only the blokish way :D)... The anticipation, oh the anticipation! Something like: "See that car? You were gonna charge me close to €1500 to service it. See that bill? See how much? Right, so just so you know - I fully intend to replace this with another Subaru in the next 12 months, but I swear to the Almighty right this day, that it will never, ever, ever.....everveverevereverevereverever come from your dealership. Hope I never see you again, kn*bhead!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement