Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WMC? - Book Club

• 02-02-2005 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

the first rule of wmc book club is ' you don't talk about book club', the second rule is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT BOOK CLUB!"

Basically the idea behind the WMC Book Club is one cogged from a newspaper article of a few months ago. In various cities around europe a wee movement has started whereby instead of letting books gather dust when you're finished with them, it's far better to leave them somewhere for other folk to have a gander off.

To that end we're asking people to bring books along to the next WMC Public Meeting where ye can leave them on a table and pick another in it's place. I've ordered a rubber stamp with 'WMC book club - www.wheresmeculture.com' on it so if some of the books end up further afield then people will know where they originated from and will, hopefully, visit the website.

I hope to stamp all books brought along by you good folk at the meeting and people can pick what they want afterwards. Coloured labels are being made up but won't be ready in time for the meeting, hopefully the week after tho'. I have 4 books already picked out but if all can bring at least one then we'll be off to a good start with this WMC initiative.

Thereafter we hope to have a series of distribution points around the city where people will know there's always a chance of picking up a free book, Tigh Fili have already volunteered their premises for this and Triskel too have said they may be up for it. Anyone else interested please feel free to e-mail me on jcomic@indigo.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This could be a great idea, keep us informed please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

A very nice idea.
    Best of luck with it.

I'm one of these people who likes to look at the collection of books in their own personal library. If I'm honest, the vast majority of my books have not been read, primarily due to the fact that I sufffer from the incurable condition of VibesandScribesism - the affliction where one buys books while placating their inner bank-manager with the mantra "Shur, its only €X.99".

I also have a tendency to buy three or four books in one sorty, generally around 6:25pm on a Saturday afternoon, when I'm being shooed out the door by a disgruntled shop-clerk.

Advertisement