Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanic Help?

Options
  • 02-02-2005 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the very helpful advise that was given last month when I started up a thread. To be honest in order to set up a bike shop it is only realistic if I worked (free of charge) in a bike shop for even a number of Saturdays to see a shop being run exactly and bikes being fixed and doing it myself. It is one thing cycling your own bike each day and fixing the small problems (flat tires etc), but another thing seeing different bikes come in and they have various brake, chain problems etc.

Can anyone give me any advise on who I could approach (I am living currently in Blanchardstown but am willing to travel). Should I get in contact with FAS, a bike distributor or ring bike shops around. I know that it could be a problem with insurance or room but I am willing to give it a try.

The alternative would be to go into partnership with a mechanic/person who is looking for a new challenge which I would also consider. I would be interested in hearing any thoughts out there.

Thanks,

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

have you any experience as a mechanic? I presume not or otherwise you'd have the experience you're looking for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

I'm afraid not :( . I know that it is a little embarressing but I'm trying at least to do something about it.

No, I'm not trying to slate you for it at all!!

It changes how you would approach a shop though. You can't show up and say "Hey, I want to be your competition - will you train me?" !!!

I'd say most shops would however take well to a plea of - I want to learn how to do this so I can work at it and I'm willing to serve an apprenticeship in the interim.

You'll have to choose carefully - many shops will be very busy on the saturday - though this is their quiet end of the season. So you may be considered a hinderance rather than a help with pressure on - just a thought.

The basic stuff is easy. by definition. The older bikes are awkward though. A chap I know won't fix punctures. Just fits a new tube. Labour and parts in under 5 mins. way easier

Sorry if you took me the wrong way Ueberwolf. I proberly phrased it wrong. Thanks very much for your advise anyways. I will approach a few next week as even if you go into partnership anyway you need to know yourself what is going on. It only makes sense. Cheers for that. Any help is most helpful.

em, strange one for ya

I might have a shop for sale for you...

• Advertisement

It certainly sounds a bit strange!!!! Seriously I can give you my email address if u want Uberwolf. We can communicate further from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I really hope it works out Jan, let us know! There are no decent bike shops with competative prices in Dublin, there is plenty of room for competition.

Thank you very much for that kind message. If anybody has free time and wants a challenge then I would be interested in hearing from them also.

Advertisement