Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheque problems

Options
  • 02-02-2005 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Having a nightmare after requesting cheques from PartyPoker, Aib say they can't lodge them for me because the cheques are written in dollars from a Sterling Account, asked PP to send me either Euro or Sterling cheques they said they couldn't.

So now it is going to cost me $35 to cancel each cheque (8 altogether) and then i will have to wire transfer the money (another $35)

Anybody else have this problem, is there any other way around this hassle because i don't no if AIB are doing enough to help me!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

allin-king wrote:
    ...i don't no if AIB are doing enough to help me!

Probably not.
    I do the vast majority of my banking with AIB, but have sometimes found them dire when it comes to lodging foreign currency cheques. However, it depends on the amount of the cheque and the mood of the teller.
    I have been told variously that there would be a delay of a few weeks for a cheque to clear and have been quoted "admin" fees verging on the extortionate.
    It's not a problem I've had in a long time as staff know me fairly, which I reckon counts for a lot when it comes to cashing/lodging cheques. I have seen the same people in the bank give the bullsh!t story (long wait/high charges) to not so well known customers recently.

I used to bring my (large) sterling or dollar cheques to Permanent TSB, who seem never seemed to have any issue lodging foreign currency cheques to my account immediately.

Basically, my point is, AIB are chancers and will rub it in if they think they can get away with it.
    So try somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

i only have an account in AIB, i think you're about the way Aib are handling it but the thing is, i would be fairly well known in that bank so can't understand why they can't do it even though i had lodged PP cheques before with no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Get a passport, two utility bills, jump onto the enterprise and go to belfast and open a bank account and lodge your cheques.

I was trying to open a sterling account in dublin and this was the easiest and cheapest way for me to do it.

allin-king wrote:
    i would be fairly well known in that bank so can't understand why they can't do it even though i had lodged PP cheques before with no problems

As I previously mentioned, it can depend on the mood of the teller on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Eh
    If the cheque is written for USD, it MUST be drawn on an American Bank.
    i.e. there must be a Bank like Bank of America or CitiBank mentioned somewhere on it?
    Then you just ask AIB to buy the cheque from you and credit your account with the Euro.
    There shouldn't be extra charges (check their terms and conditions)
    and the rate should be about 1.3300 to the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I bank with BOI and have lodged three PP cheques over the past four months, for a total of about $2k. No problem at all and no delays, cash was in the account the next day. Like Samson, I don't have problems / delays in the bank anymore (like when I was a teenager) as they know me, and more importantly, know my income and hope to get some of it for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

okidoki987 wrote:
    Eh
    If the cheque is written for USD, it MUST be drawn on an American Bank.
    i.e. there must be a Bank like Bank of America or CitiBank mentioned somewhere on it?
    Then you just ask AIB to buy the cheque from you and credit your account with the Euro.
    There shouldn't be extra charges (check their terms and conditions)
    and the rate should be about 1.3300 to the Euro.

Eh no it isn't, thats my point, it's draw on Barclays Bank in London but written in dollars not sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Checked with the G/F.
    You are right it is possible to do this however not very practical for the person trying to cash it.
    You have to (via your Bank) get it sent back to Barclays London
    for COLLECTION and they will clear it for you.
    Be warned it can take approx 3/4 weeks for them to clear it.

Advertisement