Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Stringer Debate

• 02-02-2005 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Peter hasn't been on form for Munster lately, as attested to by some of the Munster supporters here. He's been again selected to start for Ireland. Is this the right decision, or should Easterby start? What other options do we have at 9?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Fair enough he hasnt been playing well but when stringer plays well, He is up there with the best. People have off games,he has played well, dont see why he should be dropped but then again thats my personal choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Trojan wrote:
    What other options do we have at 9?

Well, i think that's it...there's not much else really...easterby is all....he's alright, but not really international level in my opinion....
    I think i'm one of the people who's stuck up for stringer this season, granted he hasn't been in his best form this season, but when he is, he's the hardest working scrum half in world rugby, and probably the most solid defencevly.
    All those try saving tap tackles? too many to mention...most memorable in the two wins over England in Landsdowne (GS spoiler match, foot and mouth season, would have won GS if it wasnt for footh and mouth, scotland cought us cold :/) and in Twicenham (first defeat of world champions match).
    I reckon he'll be back to his best just in time for the six nations...starting with a good performance against Italy.
    I Think Eddie O'Sullivan is a very good coach, who knows how to play to our strengths and picks horses for corses.
    But this team against Italy i think is our strongest possible, but my selection of best posible team would be:
    15. G Murphy
    14. S Horgan
    13. B O'Driscoll
    12. G D'Arcy
    11. D Hickie
    10. R O'Gara
    9. P Stringer
    1. R Corrigan
    2. S Byrne (Sheehan not far behind imo)
    3. J Hayes
    4. M O'Kelly
    5. P O'Connell (Edit/ D O'Callaghan just as good as either, will replace O'kelly)
    6. J O'Connor
    7. K Gleeson
    8. A Foley

Most of the team picks itself...the only place really up for discussion is back row, where i think although he didn't play great in the International against the Argies, on club form O'Connor has got to be in the team.
    We also have good depth in every position except for front row (especially Hayes) and scrum half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Good question. I think Stringer has peen poor of late except for last Sat(lets hope he stays that good) Easterby has been playin very very well. but i think Stringer still has that edge,that split second fater and passes as good off the left as right.
    Easterby is a handy replacement.Could see EOS using him as an impact sub a lot this year. What do they say the "9th forward" hes a big guy for 9.
    Campbell is ok as well from Ulster - needs time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I agree with what Nukem has said there. Stringer still has the edge over Easterby where passing and accuracy are concered. Having said that Easterby has had a massive season in the HC so far. He is a better option if we wanted a running scrum half if you know what I mean. He is a very big fella for 9 and it could be usefull against Italy's hard hitting pack but I'd say O' Sullivan doesn't want to chance him with ROG. After all Stringer and ROG are a class act together so why split it up.

However if Stringer is having a bad game with Italy hitting hard I can see Easterby being brought on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

Stringer will only come under pressure from Campbell if he ever gets in the squad, Easterby is just an ordinary player, Stringers pass and defence is exceptional and even the break is improving. Campbell really looks a decent prospect and should be in the squad instead of Easterby.

• Advertisement

Nukem wrote:
    Good question. I think Stringer has peen poor of late except for last Sat(lets hope he stays that good) Easterby has been playin very very well. but i think Stringer still has that edge,that split second fater and passes as good off the left as right.
    Easterby is a handy replacement.Could see EOS using him as an impact sub a lot this year. What do they say the "9th forward" hes a big guy for 9.
    Campbell is ok as well from Ulster - needs time though.

I don't agreee, to see a Big guy at 9 you need to look at the kind of Scrum-Halves Italy turn out time and time again, also the Scrummie for Scarlets against Munster last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

Italy won't be an easy game, their pack is certainly going to cause us problems, their discliplne has improved and their backs are no mugs. As for Campbell starting not yet, he should be on the bench and get some game time if we're up in matches but he'll get a run in the development tour and should start against Romania in November.

I don't agreee, to see a Big guy at 9 you need to look at the kind of Scrum-Halves Italy turn out time and time again, also the Scrummie for Scarlets against Munster last week.

How many times has stringer turned up on the day and provided - saved our asses more than a few times. In that position you dont have to be as big as an ox.
    Played scrum-half for ages im 5'10 and 13st and that would be considered avg.
    Nothing to do with bulk - all about speed of hands,awarness,tactics and how to play the game. Easterby is very good this season,would feel harshly done by if i was him,he has really improved,but he isnt as fast passing as stringer. He has to dive pass off his left caus he cant get it far enoughand he doesnt have the tactical awarness Stringer has.But he is big and sturdy - getting more and more reliable and will be an excellent replacement or impact sub.Could see him in the 9 jersey before the end of the season if Strings doesnt cop on.

Campbell for the Ireland A scrum-half place - has to be no.1 contender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭doc71

Stringer's biggest problem is that he never breaks. What this does is allow the opposition backrow to span out the middle of the field so the backs are out numbered and find it hard the break the gain line. This is very evident when munster are playing (no point having a bullet pass if the two centres are up against 2 centres and 2 BR forwards), it's ok for 10 man rugby. Only for the Irish backs are so good i don't think Stringer would be 1st choice... fair enough he has great assets, but he has to make the opposition backrow think!!

• Advertisement

doc71 wrote:
    but he has to make the opposition backrow think!!

What like Easterby :rolleyes: He does mix it a little but more often than not. He gets the ball and ploughs into the first fringe defender.............fine if your a forward but he's a sc and if an sc is outta position ya got 8 forwards milling around with not back ball distrubution.As i said this 6nations will tell a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

name one day, stringer hasn't busted his nuts for ireland? it's not as if he's the only one that's struggling for munster. there's more than one player on a team. easterby will never live up to stringer.

Never said he doesn't bust a gut or that Easterby is better.... just pointing out the truth, he has no break making it easy for opposition to crowd to mid field with BR forwards, look at munster in the big HC finals semi finals and how hard it was them to score a try. Didn't blame him for Munsters form. he has no break , as a result of that things in this a previous post happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

doc71 wrote:
    Never said he doesn't bust a gut or that Easterby is better.... just pointing out the truth, he has no break making it easy for opposition to crowd to mid field with BR forwards, look at munster in the big HC finals semi finals and how hard it was them to score a try. Didn't blame him for Munsters form. he has no break , as a result of that things in this a previous post happen.

Jaysus Dont say anything bad about Munster rugby in here, you'll be in awful trouble. Munster rugby AKA bulldozer rugby, loads of fun to watch - not !!!!

i am a munster fan. I am anti "fields of f%@kin Athenry" and I think a few Home truths need to be hammered home , Stringer is a great player but his weakness is copped on by ither teams .... also I hear you on the can't say anything about Munster stuff, but did you most Munster fans with this attitude know F all about rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

It's great to be able to have such a debate - remember the old days when we had one scrum half worthy of the green and today we have 3 or 4

well said

here here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

daveirl wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

And you're right also about his new style of play...when he kept it simple at the back of the scrum/rook/maul and sent it out to O'Gara and Co., and he concentrated on his defence he was a very good SH, but i have to say the
    "stringer break" experement was a total failure...i hope he goes back to his old reliable self for the six nations.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

On the games today I'd go with Cussiter ahead of either Dawson or Peel. It would be nice to see what he could do with good players around him

Advertisement