Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips for wed next pls

Options
  • 02-02-2005 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

I have never played in a tourney like the one next week. Play in home game with a good lot of chips, no buy backs.
    Any tips on how to play this typeof tourney eg play very loose first hour tighten up then etc.
    looking at the set up for it the blinds will be a killer very quick after 2 hours they will be at 800/1600 while after 3 hours they will be 6400/12800 if they follow through what they say.
    I would normally be a tightish player, not afraid to put in the chips when I have the cards but likewise willing to dump decent cards if I recon I am beat.

Comments

Read and study. Whats the entry and prize pool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

What are the starting stacks, are there rebuys, etc. Looks to me like you will need a lot of luck to do well with that blind structure, assuming low starting stacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

its the tourney in greshem, the dublin students whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Dont be afraid to sit tight for a while. be disciplined. 5/6, not a good hand....J/J dangerous as any queen on the table may have you beaten...This may all seem obvious to you but in a tournament you play with a bit more adrenalin and tend to do things you wouldnt normally do. Best advice is to sit tight for a while and let everyone else fight it out..you'll learn a lot about how they play too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Use what's called the Gap Concept.
    Raise with any two cards, e.g. 84 off suit, the gap concept means that people need a much higher standard of hand to call with.
    If you get reraised then you're getting pot odds to call and outdraw them. Nobody ever expects you to have 84o when you raise, so you have the element of the unexpected on your side also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

How can you give anyone advice for that tournament? It's like training someone for the freeroll. Any advice would be useless.

Play the lotto, you'll probably get better odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

How can you give anyone advice for that tournament? It's like training someone for the freeroll. Any advice would be useless.

Play the lotto, you'll probably get better odds.

I agree whole heartedly.....I just felt like giving some general poker advice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

jem wrote:
    I have never played in a tourney like the one next week. Play in home game with a good lot of chips, no buy backs.
    Any tips on how to play this typeof tourney eg play very loose first hour tighten up then etc.
    looking at the set up for it the blinds will be a killer very quick after 2 hours they will be at 800/1600 while after 3 hours they will be 6400/12800 if they follow through what they say.
    I would normally be a tightish player, not afraid to put in the chips when I have the cards but likewise willing to dump decent cards if I recon I am beat.

So the structure (from another thread) seems to be starting chips of 1500, unlimited rebuys for first hour, one top-up of 2000, blinds of 25/50, 50/100 for first hour, doubling every twenty minutes after that. And generally poor players.

Mmm... as has been said, there is no real strategy here. Hope that you get lucky with your 60euro total buy-in to have a massive stack going into the freeze-out stage; then hope that your massive stack is lucky enough to withstand the crazy doubling-blind structure. In essense, hope to get lucky. It's very possible that someone who hasn't a clue about the game will take home the money here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think we can all assume it's going to be a rather loose game. First of all stick to a good tight-agressive game. With loose players you should make good hands pay. Don't play too tight, limp in cheap with marginal hands early on etc. but don't get sucked into any kind of maniac vibe at the table. When you hit big hands be unpredicatable, don't check-raise every time. With weak-loose players you'll likely be called whether you check or check-raise.
    Despite all of this don't go bananas with big hands like going all-in because these guys will probably call and get lucky so reasonable bets and be aware of possible danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I would almost advise you to play in Amusement City on Westmoreland St on Tuesday again they take a huge % of the prizepool play ridiculous blinds etc

• Advertisement

Why don't you play the freeroll in the Fitz on Sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

First of all I live down the country and also we have paid for the tickets.
    j

Advertisement