Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing Pumpkins

Options
  • 02-02-2005 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Any Smashing Pumpkin fans out there?
    Cant believe its 4 years since they split, mad or what!!

Anyone go to the last gig in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I know, like, 4 years, oh my god, my life is soooo only beginning to have meaning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Like that song "today", sounds very like "fake" by the frames, or should i say
    "fake" sounds like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

1979 ... Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Bullet with Butterfly Wings definitely.

There's two songs that me me go really calm and reminiscent....Mayonaise and For Martha...

If you have to go dont say goodbye...if you have to go dont you cry....if you have to go i will get by.....i will follow you and see you on the other side

Muzzle: I fear that I'm ordinary, just like everyone....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Like that song "today", sounds very like "fake" by the frames, or should i say
    "fake" sounds like it!

The intro of "Today" also sounds a lot like the riff in "No Surprises" by Radiohead... I think so anyway, anyone wanna agree or disagree?

Porcelina was my fave song anyway.

It was a shrewd move that they broke up when they did: One of the biggest rules of Rock states that it is better to 'burn out than fade away'.
    Examples of those who quit (or died) while they were ahead, and r thus now appreciated as much as ever?
    Beatles, Hendrix, Nirvana, Jim Morrison, Queen, the Clash, the Sex Pistols...
    Examples of those who kept chuggin away and thus become faded shells of what they once were?
    Rolling Stones, The Cure, Dylan, Oasis, The Manics, Morrisey, (ok ppl will disagree wit me on that last one, but I think he's rubbish nowadays)

Today came out in 1993....god i feel old, MCIS is 10 years old- can u believe....the greatest album ever is ancient......i'm really startin to feel old and i'm only 22!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

One of my favourite gigs was Pumpkins in the Point (fab gig destroyed by the unfortunate death of that girl).

One of my favourite "music appreciation" moments was in my amtes house with a load of us watching this documentry on video that had been on the telly and the (remaining) band members were discussing what was happening after Siamese Dream and the record company types telling them it was suicide to release a double album at this stage of their career and it was all hyped and built up when everything stops and it cuts to the start of the "Bullet..." video and we all go YEAH!!!" and then we all start talking about the first time we heard that song and how it hit us! (I'm into mental heavy stuff now, but at the time it was a severe slap in the face). Happy times! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Bullets with butterfly wings, what a wicked song, I had sorta liked there music for ages, and I bought the melancholly and the infinite sadness Double CD recently and It was cool.

Though I heard Siamese Dream is really good too!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Yeah, I was at the last Dublin gig. I thought it was complete shít. Was extremely disappointed with it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I remember a friend trying to get my into their music (always been into a lot heavier and darker stuff) and tbh, I found a lot of what they did, quite boring.

To me, the just seemed like America's version of Radiohead - bloody students, whining about stuff.

I know I am going to get blasted for it, but to me, they were nothing really special

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Porcelina and Bodies would be my favourite S.P. songs. I've been a fan since I heard Siamese dream eleven years ago and then M.C.I.S. I went through a rough patch as a 14 year old and there wasn't one day that I didn't listen to Bodies on repeat. I honestly think Billy Corgan is a genius, it's just a pity that he's lost the aggression and passion he had in the early years that made his songs both powerful and beautiful.

Don't forget Disarm, i.m.o one of their most moving songs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

SebtheBum wrote:
    It was a shrewd move that they broke up when they did: One of the biggest rules of Rock states that it is better to 'burn out than fade away'...

Should have quit after Adore in my opinion; they were never gonna top that album.

yeah Machina was a pile of crap.....too electronically.....only good songs outta it are Stand Inside Your Machine, Everlasting Gaze and Heavy Metal Machine

Adore was slated by the critics but its such a dark album cause they were dealing with Jimmy being fired, Billy's mum dying etc. I think its a brill album....To Sheila is a great sing then Ava Adore.....ah the whole album is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Im only sorry i didnt get into their music sooner. I love the B-side Marquis in Spades. Fantastic song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bdonegan

i was and still am to a degree, a big pumpkins fan. was far to young to make it to any of their gigs back in the days when they were famous (i was 13 the year of the point gig) but i still enjoyed listening to their stuff. for me mellon collie is quite an achievement. 28 songs? sure there's a bit of filler, but nothing genuinely *bad* and there's also at least 5 or 6 really good songs on there (can't believe noones mentioned 1979 yet!) i wouldn't agree that adore was anything to get excited over though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

bdonegan wrote:
    can't believe noones mentioned 1979 yet!

Have a look at the fourth post ;)

Great band, I was at the last show here and it was fantastic. Pity it was all seating though, I was stuck in a bad position at the side, barely saw James Iha all night. For anyone who loves Mellon Collie, get a copy of the Airplane Flies High box set, it's worth the money as all the b-sides (about 30) are just as good and in some cases better than what's on the Mellon Collie album. All of the songs are from the same sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

SebtheBum wrote:
    The intro of "Today" also sounds a lot like the riff in "No Surprises" by Radiohead... I think so anyway, anyone wanna agree or disagree?

Porcelina was my fave song anyway.

It was a shrewd move that they broke up when they did: One of the biggest rules of Rock states that it is better to 'burn out than fade away'.
    Examples of those who quit (or died) while they were ahead, and r thus now appreciated as much as ever?
    Beatles, Hendrix, Nirvana, Jim Morrison, Queen, the Clash, the Sex Pistols...
    Examples of those who kept chuggin away and thus become faded shells of what they once were?
    Rolling Stones, The Cure, Dylan, Oasis, The Manics, Morrisey, (ok ppl will disagree wit me on that last one, but I think he's rubbish nowadays)

The pumpkins were fading away,their last album sold sweet f all

mellon collie has filler but pfffft if they just cut out the tosh and put some of the track from their eps boxset that would have been recorded at the time it would of been faultless,still good album

i saw them in glasgow and dublin on last tour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

John2 wrote:
    Have a look at the fourth post ;)

Great band, I was at the last show here and it was fantastic. Pity it was all seating though, I was stuck in a bad position at the side, barely saw James Iha all night. For anyone who loves Mellon Collie, get a copy of the Airplane Flies High box set, it's worth the money as all the b-sides (about 30) are just as good and in some cases better than what's on the Mellon Collie album. All of the songs are from the same sessions.

Well to get tech on ya, they are not some were recorded in aussie during the mcis tour etc

i'lll get my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kitty Kat

Best Pumpkins song has to be Starla. It is te most beautiful song in the world, anyone agree?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

That it a good one. I also like Geek USA which im listenin to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Adore got me hooked on the pumpkins, I think it's an amazing album. Songs like Blank Page and For Martha are just excellent. The Aeroplane Flies High has some excellent material, Set the Ray to Jerry and many more. Blissed and Gone is excellent and I have heard many beautiful rare tracks. Once in a While for example. I'm more into the softer material myself, but when you are in the mood to rock, they are excellent.

You should all go see "The Smumpkins" when they play next. EXCELLENT cover band. The lead singer is obsessed (I thought I was bad till I met him) and he knows every lyric and beat to a tee! I'd say with the right crowd the gig could be absolutely amazing. I know the band well, the bassist since nappies.

I will post once I know of an upcoming gig. Bring anyone you know who likes them. I'd love to go when it's purely pumpkins fans rather than the band members friends and stuff as they are just starting off, that's what it has been for a while.

just to make you all jealous, here is what I have my hands on :D
    -1979 Remixes (German Import)
    -1989 Fall Reel Time Sessions
    -1989 Summer Reel Time Sessions
    -1989-03-16 Chicago (Remastered)
    -1989-04-30 Chicago IL
    -1990-06-16 Madison WI
    -1990-09-13 Cincinnati OH
    -1990-12-31 Chicago IL
    -1991-02-08 Hoboken NJ
    -1991-02-12 New York City NY
    -1991-07-12 Philadelphia PA
    -1991-07-19 Providence RI
    -1991-07-21 New Haven CT
    -1991-08-20 Seattle WA
    -1991-10-16 Madison WI
    -1991-10-17 Illinois
    -1991-11-03 Springfield MA
    -1991-12-17 Los Angeles CA
    -1992-01-15 Hilversum Netherlands
    -1992-01-17 Brussels Belgium
    -1992-01-19 Den Haag Netherlands
    -1992-01-20 Amsterdam Netherlands
    -1992-01-26 Berlin Germany
    -1992-06-09 Milwaukee WI
    -1992-08-23 London UK
    -1992-09-04 Dusseldorf Germany
    -1992-09-06 Rotterdam Netherlands
    -1993-06-22 MTV's Most Wanted UK
    -1993-06-30 Hilversum Netherlands
    -1993-08-14 Chicago IL
    -1993-08-27 Lowlands Netherlands
    -1993-09-xx London UK
    -1993-10-30 New York City NY (SNL)
    -1993-12-12 Los Angeles CA
    -1994-02-24 London - Astoria Theatre
    -1994-06-18 Chicago IL
    -1994-07-07 Las Vegas NV
    -1994-08-20 Dallas TX
    -1995-02-21 Chicago IL
    -1995-02-28 Chicago IL
    -1995-08-26 Pukkelpop Belgium
    -1995-10-23 Chicago IL
    -1995-12-12 Amsterdam Netherlands
    -1996-01-30 Acoustic Mellon Songs
    -1996-04-03 Rotterdam Netherlands
    -1996-04-07 Dusseldorf Germany
    -1996-04-12 Oslo Norway
    -1996-04-15 Berlin Germany
    -1996-05-03 Madrid Spain
    -1996-05-15 Mellow, Jolly And The Infinate Madness
    -1996-06-15 San Francisco CA
    -1996-06-27 Indianapolis IN
    -1996-11-22 Memphis TN
    -1996-12-01 New York City
    -1996-12-17 Sacramento CA
    -1997-01-08 Vancouver
    -1997-06-28 Roskilde Festival
    -1998-06-04 Paris
    -1998-08-04 Atlanta GA
    -2000-01-07
    -2000-03-02 Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel, Providence, RI, US
    -2000-04-08 Kansas City, KS
    -2000-05-01 Electric Factory - PA
    -2000-05-09 Tabernacle Atlanta, GA
    -2000-10-08 Palacio de Deportes, Madrid, Spain
    -2000-10-11 Barcelona, Spain
    -2000-10-27 ValbHallen, Copenhagen, Denmark
    -2000-11-29 Live At United Center
    -2000-12-02 Chicago IL
    -2000-4-16 Chicago Aragon Ballrom
    -Acoustic Series
    -Adore
    -Billy's Gravity Demos
    -Billy's Home Demos
    -Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    -Cherub Rock
    -Dawn
    -Demo Tape
    -Disarm SMILE Single
    -Drown
    -Earphoria
    -Friends & Enemies Of Modern Music
    -Gish
    -Gish Basement Tapes
    -Greatest Hits (Disc 1 - Rotten Apples)
    -Greatest Hits (Disc 2 - Judas O)
    -Halloween Party
    -I Am One Single
    -Judas 0 - B-Sides and Rarities
    -Judas O
    -Kroq Almost Acoustic Christmas (12-12-98)
    -Light Into Dark
    -Lull
    -Lull EP
    -Machina The Machines of God
    -Machina 2 (E.P. 1)
    -Machina 2 (E.P. 2)
    -Machina 2 (E.P. 3)
    -Machina Acoustic Demos (dehissed)
    -Machina II - Friends & Enemies Of Modern Music
    -Machina II EP 1
    -Machina II EP 2
    -Machina II EP 3
    -Machina-the Machines of God
    -Mashed Potatoes
    -MCIS2
    -Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (Disc 1 - Dawn to Dusk)
    -Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (Disc 2 - Twilight To Starlight)
    -Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness - Dawn To Dusk
    -Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Twilight to Starlight
    -Moon Demo Tape
    -Peel Sessions
    -Pisces Iscariot
    -Pisces Iscariot And Friends
    -Siamese Dream
    -Snaketrain Demo Tape
    -Still Becoming Apart
    -The Aeroplane Flies High (Disc 1)
    -The Aeroplane Flies High (Disc 2)
    -The Aeroplane Flies High - 1979
    -The Aeroplane Flies High - Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    -The Aeroplane Flies High - Thirty Three
    -The Aeroplane Flies High - Tonight, Tonight
    -The Aeroplane Flies High - Zero
    -The End Is the Beginning Is the End
    -The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music
    -The Marked
    -The Rockview Interviews
    -ThirtyThree
    -Tonight, Tonight Single
    -Ultra Rare Trax
    -Zero
    -{ Rotten Apples } the Smashing Pumpkins Greatest Hits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

whoever said starla was there best song, your right on the money
    grew up listening to the pumpkins obsessively, and yes went to their last concert in dublin, which rocked, i was bought a balcony ticket though so i was pissed at that

be grateful, I never got to see them live:( The Smumpkins are the next best thing, just need the right crowd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

terrible name :) never saw them advertised to play... would be interested...

yeah big fan saw their last gig at the olympia, got in for free, it was the only time i saw them pity it was sitting down, they focused alot on their guest piano player??? and def auf was on bass at that time?

machine wasn't great i wouldn't say they blew out, I love their cover of dancing in the moonlight on pisces... never forked out the money for the boxset have some great tapes/cds i bought in borderline with 12 minutes live versions of porcelina... some of the live tapes albums are great acoustics versions of siamse dreams songs etc...

i think their stuff is classic rock especially their first albums...

Yeah, I came up with a bunch of better names than the Smumpkins, ah well, at least with that name you know who they are covering!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

cormie wrote:
    just to make you all jealous, here is what I have my hands on :D

Reminds me of my Napster days; acquired every damn thing possible (live bootlegs of course).

Never heard of The Smumpkins, where have they played?

Temple Bar Music Centre (Dublin) twice, Katie Gallaghers Tsunami Charity Event (Bray) once, this guys party and Donnas Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

33 was always my favourite pumpkins song, couldn't tell you why. And I reckon that Siamese Dream is probably the greatest alternative rock album ever made. No matter if you're into heavy metal, grunge, alternative or indie rock, whatever, anyone can appreciate how great that album is from start to end.

I'm a pretty big fan, don't think I could ever follow any other band as much as SP. Never saw them live but got to see zwan at shepards bush empire (wasn't a bad gig, zwan were a great live band even if their album didn't live up to what it could have been) and saw billy's first solo gig in Chicago last year (expect something very special from Corgan's first solo album out before summer). Saw James with A Perfect Circle too in Chicago, also a great gig.

Corgan is one of the greatest living songwriters, and I'm not saying that just as a fan. But it is a pity that he isn't recognised a bit more as a great songwriter. There seems to be some sort of stigma attached to him whenever you read music journalists refer to him, negatively a lot of the time, which is ridiculous of course, but that's the way it is.

Legendary band, should never be forgotten. :)

• Advertisement

He is indeed a great songwriter. Personally, I am more into Leonard Cohen and the likes now, Leonard Cohen is by far the greatest lyricist I've ever come across. Poetry with music. I'm quite obsessed with his material now, but Smashing Pumpkins will always be up there.

Advertisement