Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can chelsea be caught?

• 02-02-2005 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

i seem to be the only person alive that thinks chelsea can be caught. its still too early to saying its over. hoping mark hughes will do his old team a favour tonight!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

They would have to drop the same amount of points in their last 14 matches as they have done in their first 24, and at the same time United would have to win every single game (well thats one of the permutations but it puts it into perspective). Can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

of course they can be caught..

They're 8 points ahead, lets assume for a second they draw tonight, still 8 points ahead.

They lose to Arsenal and United win...they're 5 points ahead

They lose to United...they're 2 points ahead..

Draw one more game and United win....level on points..

In the midst of all this their confidence and belief will falter and it'll be squeaky bum time. None of these players have ever won anything before and that will be playing on their minds for sure.

Barcelona beat them in the champions league or Liverpool beat them in Cardiff suddenly the doubts will start niggling them.

I think it's unlikely because I feel United will drop points before the season is out, but they are definitely catchable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i cant see utd dropping any points bewtween now and the time they play chelsea in april, considering van nistlerooy is back soon-i think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

mathimatically lots of things are possible

realistically it will be tough but i dont think chelsea will have an easy run to the title with alot of potentially hard games clustered together like the next stage of the CL presuming they beat barca,fa cup games,manchester united again in the PL and arsenal in the PL again unless im mistaken so its hard to say they will win them all

heres hoping though ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Iago wrote:

They're 8 points ahead, lets assume for a second they draw tonight, still 8 points ahead.

They lose to Arsenal and United win...they're 5 points ahead

They lose to United...they're 2 points ahead..

Draw one more game and United win....level on points..

In the midst of all this their confidence and belief will falter and it'll be squeaky bum time. None of these players have ever won anything before and that will be playing on their minds for sure.
    QUOTE]

Based on that it is sure possible but they would want to be badly rattled!

About the point of "none of these players have ever won anything before" I think that Duff (Carling Cup), Robben (Dutch League??), Ferara, Carvalho (CL)
    Drogba (not sure), Makele (CL) - I would reckon that half the team has won some honour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

yup, they're still in all competitions, so lots of matches to play. I think they will win it tho, and at the moment, they deserve to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

after a great result for us last night the reality check is we are too far behind

as eirebhoy states the idea of chelsea dropping the amount of points we would need them to drop is theoretically possible but they are playing like champions :(

and not like newcastle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

i cant see utd dropping any points bewtween now and the time they play chelsea in april, considering van nistlerooy is back soon-i think!

unlikely even teams in flying form end up drawing matches for one reason or another,especially after gruelling CL matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

yup, they're still in all competitions, so lots of matches to play. I think they will win it tho, and at the moment, they deserve to win it.

nobody deserves anything in any sport, you earn it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

never thought i'd see the day i would hope united will win the league
    i dont want them to reach 18 titles, but i dont want the league to be bought either

wtf happened to arsenal

• Advertisement

Iago wrote:
    How did you work that out? No points for a draw anymore? ;) BTW, considering the goal difference, a draw tonight and Chelsea are effectively 10 points clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

eyerer wrote:
    but i dont want the league to be bought either

wtf happened to arsenal

good point, i agree, i dont want chelsea to win the title, as a football fan i'd prefer even if arsenal won it. under ranieiri i liked chelsea just for the character of the man. murinho is a great manager, but treats football as a business.

in his own words every game is 'just a game', no bigger or smaller than the previous. chelsea are becoming a super-power results wise becasue of this attitude but in reality arse or manu aren't too far behind on the pitch, if not better.

your supposed to feel football, feel the passion, the desire. wenger and fergie both have that, murinho does not. he wants to win but imo it wouldnt mean as much to him as wenger or fergie. he's bought a good side and assembled it very nicely but tbh i dont feel the passion, the love around chelsea that the likes of utd, liverpool, arse have. theres something missing.

anyways, of course they can be caught. if it's mathematically possible, it's possible and football as we know is a funny game. who would have thought the invincibles a year on would be virtually out of the title race? the side hasn't changed much, at all nearly. they were so close to being called a 'great' legendary side had they conquered europe. that proves football is played in the mind too. same players, same manager so why havn't they done what they did last year?? the answer is theyve been rattled on the pitch after a few dodgy results and the confidence is drained.

the same COULD happen chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

got to disagree with you smemon, if you see the way Terry, Lampard, Duff, Cole , Cech etc react to wins then you can't doubt that there is a great passion and team spirit at Chelsea that wasn't there under Ranieri who had a team of often self serving superstars.

Mourinho has created the spirit and has instilled the belief in their ability to win silverware, I don't think he treats it as a business but as a sport , let kenyon look after the business.

Mathematically Chelsea can still be caught but Wheres me jumpa, you're not alone in thinking Chelsea can be caught , all Chelsea fans are worried that we will fail to deliver (as we have so many times in the last decade, sorry 50 years) so there's no counting of chickens going on yet , just cautious optimism ( except when speaking to Spurs, Arsenal or Utd fans when we switch to smug confidence / gloating) :-)

yeah i know the players show great spirit when celebrating goals they all jump in, after games congratualte each other etc..
    but for some reason i think, particularly murinho feels it's inevitable they'll win the title, not just now but has done all season.

the superstars expect to win, are used to winning but id imagine it doesnt feel the same as utd or arsenal winning their first premiership. years and years of building, scouting, teamwork, training etc all paid off.

with chelsea it's been like theyve cheated and stolen all the monopoly money out of the box and bought up all the houses/hotels etc.. they havn't earned the title if you like, like the 2 mentioned did. for that reason as a football fan, not a utd fan, thats what takes the gloss of their title should they get it.

i know chelsea fans dont give a toss and they shouldnt but like i said before, most people would want to see football winning/thriving, not business. thats why i always had a soft spot for chelsea with ranieiri there, he was a true football man, a passionate man, one of the games characters. since murinho took over that is gone and it's all down to business, no messing about, no playtime, just in/out get the job done at all costs.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

hoping mark hughes will do his old team a favour tonight!

Mark Hughes also played for Chelsea by the way!!!

smemon wrote:
    yeah i know the players show great spirit when celebrating goals they all jump in, after games congratualte each other etc..
    but for some reason i think, particularly murinho feels it's inevitable they'll win the title, not just now but has done all season.

the superstars expect to win, are used to winning but id imagine it doesnt feel the same as utd or arsenal winning their first premiership. years and years of building, scouting, teamwork, training etc all paid off.
    They actually drowned each other (and Abramovich) with champagne after winning their Carling cup Semi-final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:
    good point, i agree, i dont want chelsea to win the title, as a football fan i'd prefer even if arsenal won it. under ranieiri i liked chelsea just for the character of the man. murinho is a great manager, but treats football as a business.

in his own words every game is 'just a game', no bigger or smaller than the previous. chelsea are becoming a super-power results wise becasue of this attitude but in reality arse or manu aren't too far behind on the pitch, if not better.

your supposed to feel football, feel the passion, the desire. wenger and fergie both have that, murinho does not. he wants to win but imo it wouldnt mean as much to him as wenger or fergie. he's bought a good side and assembled it very nicely but tbh i dont feel the passion, the love around chelsea that the likes of utd, liverpool, arse have. theres something missing.

thats complete crap in all honesty.

how does he treat football as a business? give me some examples.

murinho doesnt feel the passion and desire for football?! did you not see him celebrating Porto's semi-final win last season? yep...he definitly didnt feell the passion or desire there :rolleyes:

hes one of the most passionate managers in the league, would any other manager of gone to the bother of scouting scunthorpe as much as he did?! i doubt it.

A manager who isnt really passionate about football wouldnt be as successful as murinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Chelsea will not be caught, they have strolled through the EPL so far and I see no reason to think they will not stroll the remainder of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

thats complete crap in all honesty.

how does he treat football as a business? give me some examples.

murinho doesnt feel the passion and desire for football?! did you not see him celebrating Porto's semi-final win last season? yep...he definitly didnt feell the passion or desire there :rolleyes:

hes one of the most passionate managers in the league, would any other manager of gone to the bother of scouting scunthorpe as much as he did?! i doubt it.

A manager who isnt really passionate about football wouldnt be as successful as murinho.

Agreed he looked pretty pumped up after the win tonight

Chelsea buying the title is no different from Man Utd, Arsenal or even Blackburn doing it a few seasons back

How much have Man Utd spent in the last five season, buckets of cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Harry2001 wrote:
    Chelsea buying the title is no different from Man Utd, Arsenal or even Blackburn doing it a few seasons back

There is one vital difference, Chelsea are doing it with Money from a Man who gained his money through a loss of assets that seriously undermines countries in the former Soviet Union to this day. Can you honestly say this is right??
    That's where the problem is. There is no soul to Chelsea football club, they represent what is wrong with football nowadays, money, greed and dishonesty. Chelski who by the way advertise in the local press to sell Champions League tickets, do not deserve to be where they are simple as. And if Roman ever walks away from them they will be in huge trouble.

• Advertisement

ah you see this is where i disagree with people on murinho. no, fergie or wenger wouldnt have scouted scunthorpe, in actual fact doing so probably backfired on murinho as they didnt have it all their own way there and perhaps scunthorpe deliberately changed their plans to confuse chelsea.

i believe thats an ego boost for murinho, looking for attention, looking to be seen as a great manager who leaves no stone unturned. running down the touchline at OT was playacting, totally uncalled for, call it passion, i call it disrespect.

how does he treat football as a business? for one, walking out of the champions league celebrations, his biggest ever achievement as a manager. his job was done so he's away off home. for the opening game against utd he said it was just another game, playing it down. it wasnt 'just another game' when he was with porto.

his smart/casual jacket with black scarf look, mixed with the chewing gum is crying out 'poser'. making immediate substitution when utd drew level at OT is looking for attention, hoping it will pay off so he can be given credit but if he does get credit will deny it.

the man holding chelsea together is not murinho, it's john terry. the guy improves with every game and is the heart and soul of chelsea. if any player deserves the title, its him.

There is one vital difference, Chelsea are doing it with Money from a Man who gained his money through a loss of assets that seriously undermines countries in the former Soviet Union to this day. Can you honestly say this is right??
    That's where the problem is. There is no soul to Chelsea football club, they represent what is wrong with football nowadays, money, greed and dishonesty. Chelski who by the way advertise in the local press to sell Champions League tickets, do not deserve to be where they are simple as. And if Roman ever walks away from them they will be in huge trouble.

thank you, couldnt have put it better, my feelings exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Whereas others just sell their shares to companies who undermine the economies of other countries to get ahead. There is no vital difference.

If any club had to lose all of their money they would be in trouble, unfortunate but it is the nature of football nowadays.

Yes I have heard all the arguments about where the money comes from and no I don’t think it’s right – I don’t think it’s right at all where he got his money from.

If I was a Chelsea fan I would feel very uncomfortable about the situation but they are buying the title with bucket loads of cash like other teams who get their money from different means have done in the past.

I have no love for Chelsea but then I have no love of any side that wins titles and cups purely based on there spending power.

smemon wrote:
    ah you see this is where i disagree with people on murinho. no, fergie or wenger wouldnt have scouted scunthorpe, in actual fact doing so probably backfired on murinho as they didnt have it all their own way there and perhaps scunthorpe deliberately changed their plans to confuse chelsea.

i believe thats an ego boost for murinho, looking for attention, looking to be seen as a great manager who leaves no stone unturned. running down the touchline at OT was playacting, totally uncalled for, call it passion, i call it disrespect.

how does he treat football as a business? for one, walking out of the champions league celebrations, his biggest ever achievement as a manager. his job was done so he's away off home. for the opening game against utd he said it was just another game, playing it down. it wasnt 'just another game' when he was with porto.

his smart/casual jacket with black scarf look, mixed with the chewing gum is crying out 'poser'. making immediate substitution when utd drew level at OT is looking for attention, hoping it will pay off so he can be given credit but if he does get credit will deny it.

the man holding chelsea together is not murinho, it's john terry. the guy improves with every game and is the heart and soul of chelsea. if any player deserves the title, its him.

I can't believe you are on the same planet as the rest of us. I dislike Mourinho because of how his Porto team beat Celtic in Seville but I will not take that dislike to the level of irrationality you seem to take it to. Mourinho has proved he is a fantastic manager of a football team. He is ruthless, very clever and supremely arrogant but he is the best young manager in Europe and if his attention span can handle it, he will be one of the best managers in European Football history.

Harry2001 wrote:
    Agreed he looked pretty pumped up after the win tonight

How much have Man Utd spent in the last five season, buckets of cash
    They've spent around £110m in the last 3 seasons and the only first team players they got out of that was Ronaldo, Saha, Smith, Rooney, Heinze, Ferdinand.
    for the opening game against utd he said it was just another game, playing it down.
    He has a degree in Psychology, I think he knows what he's doing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Any links to the allegations of "a loss of assets that seriously undermines countries in the former Soviet Union to this day".

I could probably show you some bank balances of United fans that get bled even dryer by their club.

Chelseas title (should they win it) will be no more bought than Uniteds. What do you expect? They are both the biggest teams financially in the league by MILES. Doing a rough tot on the prices paid for both starting XIs there is only about 10-20M in the difference.

My god, this has brightened my long day. I am almost in tears here reading this.
    smemon wrote:

So Scunthorpe changed there plans to confuse Chelsea? But if Wenger or Ferguson wouldnt have scouted them would they not also be confused, seeing as they didnt know what to expect in the first place? And how did it backfire? Chelseas 2nd (3rd) XI including two players making their debuts beat them 3-1. Maybe Fergie should have done some scouting, they mightnt have been taken to a replay. And it was the Scunthorpe manager that brought it to the media that Mourinho prepared a dossier on their team, its not like JM was looking for the credit.

As regards running down the touchline at OT. Normal enough to me seeing as they had just robbed United in the last minute.
    smemon wrote:
    He walked out because he had literally already "walked out" of the club. He had already signed for Chelsea. He will get the chance to celebrate again. And enlighten me, why was the game against United not just "another game"?
    smemon wrote:
    Yeah what a "poser" making a substitution in a cup semi final after just being pegged back. What really annoyed me was the way he demanded all the glory at the end when they went through :rolleyes:
    smemon wrote:
    Dont forget, Cech, or Gallas, or Makalele, or Lampard, or Duff, or Robben, or of course Jose himself, because it is him who is getting the best of out those players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

If any club had to lose all of their money they would be in trouble, unfortunate but it is the nature of football nowadays.

How can a club lose all it's money like that? Chelsea are different as Abramovich could die tommorrow and then they're in big trouble.

wat smemon and a few others are saying I believe is true about chelsea. I just don't like their way of operating now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Here seriously, go **** off to humanities abotu whether or not they desreve to win it.

Football is changing, deal with it.
    You not wanting Chelsea to win it won't change anything.

----

Chelsea can't be caught full stop.
    However they can lose it, but its entirlely in every way up to them.

I see Robbens out, fantastic news(in a cynical way)
    Hopefully they will have trouble scoring.

If terry gets an injury or gets tired, I can see them dropping a game, its kinda unrealistic to say they will win all the games but Arsenal and man utd, it just doesnt happen.
    Even Arsenal last year, or Man Utd in 99 lost games, its football.

Barca could easily beat them, see how they react.
    FA Cup vs Newcaslte is no easy game, if they lose, see how they react.

The true question to the champions will be whether they can walk out the next day, and win that league match vs. random mid table side.
    Thats where their inexperience might come into play

The question is whether United can maintain the chase to the very end, and if they can, Chelsea can be caught, the balls in their court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Every time I watch Chelsea play they bore me.
    They are a cynical defensive oriented side who will be found out.
    Blackburn should have beaten them tonight .
    Mourinho came out after the game and insulted the Blackburn team by saying they had a 'Special attitude'
    He is some smarmy poxer.
    Chelsea have had oodles of good fortune in nearly every game I have seen them play this season and that luck cant last forever.
    I expect Barcelona to stuff them and shut Mourinho up.
    Chelsea are not the best team in England and certainly not the best in Europe.
    They will be found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They are a cynical defensive oriented side who will be found out.
    Cynical? How so?
    Blackburn should have beaten them tonight
    And here we have it. Chelsea played below par against Blackburn, but still won the three points. That is the sign of a Championship Winning side. When Manchester United won the league so many times in the past few years, did they deserve every three points they won? Teams that can play badly, and still grind out 1-0 wins are usually the teams that win leagues. Simple as.
    He is some smarmy poxer.
    How informative and helpful. By the way, that is a personal insult, and therefore a bannable, you might want to take it back, or at least edit it out?
    ;)
    I don't expect Barcelona to "stuff" them, no-one will do that to Chelsea this season. However, I do think that Barcelona will beat Chelsea over the two legs.
    They will be found out.
    I don't even know what that means. What we found out last night, is that Chelsea are eleven points clear in the title race, thanks to 1-0 win they possibly didn't deserve. The mark of Champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I could probably show you some bank balances of United fans that get bled even dryer by their club.

Go on then show us the proof of your ludicrous claim

Man United are a public company whose dealings are open for all to see comparing that to Chelseas financial situation is ludicrous. Really JT anytime there's a post questioning other teams your stock replie appears to be "United Do worse" . It's really getting tire some at this stage.

Every time I watch Chelsea play they bore me.

Blackburn should have beaten them tonight .

Chelsea have had oodles of good fortune in nearly every game I have seen them play this season and that luck cant last forever.
    Chelsea are not the best team in England and certainly not the best in Europe.
    They will be found out.

Back on topic.

What tha man said [edited version] . Chelsea have a fantastic defence which is the main reasoin for their position at the moment. IMO They are not as creative as either Arsenal or United and could not have poduced the display either of them did on Tuesday night.

That is an interesting take but here are the facts

1. Chelsea have scored 49 goals to Man Uniteds 41 and Arsenals 55 goals

2. Chelsea have conceded 8 goals to Man Uniteds 16 goals and Arsenals 29 goals

3. Chelsea have +41 goal difference to Man Uniteds +25 and Arsenals +26. Their goal difference is worth another point alone.

To me that reads they have the best defence by a mile and the 2nd best attack in the EPL. I am no fan of Chelsea but neither will I do an ostrich when looking at them. They have strolled the EPL.

Fantastic defence couple with a really good attack makes for a championship winning team. An even better attack but a dismal defence does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Iago wrote:

QUOTE]Hmm, some flawed Math in here me thinks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just saw there, that Campbell is out for a week or two.

Arsenal back four will have Cygan and Hoyte in it, unless of course Vieira is moved back.

Either way, thats them gone I think since they won't win this next game with that defence unless the attack play a blinder

On topic of Mourinho. He didn't shake Mark Hughes' hand after the match last night because he didn't like Blackburn's style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dont think Chelsea will be caught although April 16th - Man Utd v Chelsea could be a very interesting evening.

eirebhoy wrote:
    On topic of Mourinho. He didn't shake Mark Hughes' hand after the match last night because he didn't like Blackburn's style of play.

Yeah he was pretty critical on Sky Sports last night,

John Gregory on Soccer Special said that Chelsea were a little “precious” in last nights game and that Blackburn were not allowed to tackle them without them getting in a strop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Arsenal were unstoppable until OT.

They can be caught, don't think they will be but you never know. Robben picked up an injury last night. If they got 1 or 2 more you never know, especially at CB. If United can keep in touch and beat them at OT it could be an interesting run-in.

Goal difference does not tell the whole story

7 wins were by 3 or more goals(4 by 4) thats +25 from 7 matches.

9 of their wins were by 1 goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

good article here about the Chelsea approach to football compared to the historical great teams - LFC & Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Harry2001 wrote:
    Yeah he was pretty critical on Sky Sports last night,

John Gregory on Soccer Special said that Chelsea were a little “precious” in last nights game and that Blackburn were not allowed to tackle them without them getting in a strop

Thats a bit harsh from Gregory, the only real bust ups were when Dickov made two extremely poor challenges on Cech, hitting both his ribs and his shin. When Pedersen (I think?) tried to nod the ball from Cechs hand at the end it started a bit of a brawl but that was just tension that had built up during the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I certainly didn't think that Blackburn were at all interested in allowing Chelsea to play their usual passing game, Hughes is no idiot and in naddition to watering the pitch may well have said : lads we have that plonker Rennie refing tonite, so he won't no what to do get some tackles in, and remember what Duff and Robben did to us in Stamford Bridge...don't let it happen again get stuck in, and this Cech fella is good so make sure you rattle him as much as you can". Although a poor game , and a very cynical attitude shown by Dick-ov in particular , it was great that Chelsea passed this test as I expect more teams will follow Blackburns "special" attitude before the season is over.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smemon
    his smart/casual jacket with black scarf look, mixed with the chewing gum is crying out 'poser'.

what has that got to do with anything ? :rolleyes:

again we see another side of murinho after last night, celebrating as if he'd won the title and really having a go at blackburn. i honestly dont understand the man or his attitude as it seems to change week in week out.

hughes said balckburn are in a dogfight and of course they were going to do anything to get points, murinho could hardly have expected a pretty poor blackburn side to come out and play an open game, going for goals against the best defence in the league.

they didnt deserve to win imo and tbh for most of the season havn't deserved a few wins theyve got. most of the time ive seen them play, they dont look like champions, especially against the big teams. they cant dominate games with style the way utd and arsenal can. luck has played a huge part in their season. nothing unusual about that as all teams need a bit of luck to win things but imo theyve got it very lucky.

i dont know why they keep winning games, i cant put my finger on it but surely people must see they dont play well the majority of the time, last night a classic example. compare them to arsenal last year, winning games but winning them on merit, totally outplaying sides. i know the league table doesnt lie and if chelsea win it we'll look back and say fair play for being consistent. but both arsenal and manutd have produced more championship winning performances this season than chelsea. they may be miles ahead in the league but imo they are no better than utd or arsenal currently.

To become champions, it is acceptable to win games but not slaughter the opposition. It is acceptable to win tight games. It is acceptable to win games that you have not played particularly well in. I have seen all teams who win championships do this, not just Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:
    again we see another side of murinho after last night, celebrating as if he'd won the title and really having a go at blackburn. i honestly dont understand the man or his attitude as it seems to change week in week out.

hughes said balckburn are in a dogfight and of course they were going to do anything to get points, murinho could hardly have expected a pretty poor blackburn side to come out and play an open game, going for goals against the best defence in the league.

they didnt deserve to win imo and tbh for most of the season havn't deserved a few wins theyve got. most of the time ive seen them play, they dont look like champions, especially against the big teams. they cant dominate games with style the way utd and arsenal can. luck has played a huge part in their season. nothing unusual about that as all teams need a bit of luck to win things but imo theyve got it very lucky.

i dont know why they keep winning games, i cant put my finger on it but surely people must see they dont play well the majority of the time, last night a classic example. compare them to arsenal last year, winning games but winning them on merit, totally outplaying sides. i know the league table doesnt lie and if chelsea win it we'll look back and say fair play for being consistent. but both arsenal and manutd have produced more championship winning performances this season than chelsea. they may be miles ahead in the league but imo they are no better than utd or arsenal currently.

yep, and we all know that all the years united won the league they NEVER played poorly and won, NEVER got any late late injury time winner either.

they just playd like champions EVERY single time!

:rolleyes:

There's absolutely no doubt that if United were in Chelsea's position you'd be defending them and actually have right to do so. Leave it out.:)

yep, and we all know that all the years united won the league they NEVER played poorly and won, NEVER got any late late injury time winner either.

they just playd like champions EVERY single time!

:rolleyes:

im not saying they didnt, in fact if you read my post again i said that in order to win anything you NEED luck. however you usually make your own luck, deserve it. chelsea have not played well, yet constantly come away with 3points having not outplayed the opposition.

their more boring and tactical than any of the previous premleague winners. nobody likes boring sides ie liverpool a few years ago, the old arsenal etc... usually if you fail to play to your strengths, you'll regret it. man for man chelsea are an attacking side, should be capable of hammering sides and beating the big boys with style, but they just havn't done that at all and instead scrape 3points every couple of games when really they dont deserve them.

they will be caught out in the champions league if they they carry on playing the way they do in the league. im relishing this barca match although id tip them to get past barca and then go out later on. we'll see what chelsea are capable of doing when they play barca. but imo they wont be able to turn on the heat when it's needed.

The Muppet wrote:
    Go on then show us the proof of your ludicrous claim

Man United are a public company whose dealings are open for all to see comparing that to Chelseas financial situation is ludicrous. Really JT anytime there's a post questioning other teams your stock replie appears to be "United Do worse" . It's really getting tire some at this stage.
    Its called a tongue in cheek remark, and its only in response to unsubstantiated allegations that Chelsea have their money from shady sources. People would prefer to see United to win it as a result of these "shady dealings", Im just saying the reason United have all the cash is no more admirable.

My "stock reply" to such questions is only asking some posters to open their eyes before accusing other teams of anything, diving being the other one of the topics (sure we even getting them calling for bans to players etc). Its ridiculous.

Anyway, I would like to see Chelsea win it. In players like Terry, Lampard and Duff they have lads that you have to like. After every match you can see how much it would mean to them if they kept their run going.

kida wrote:
    Goal difference does not tell the whole story

7 wins were by 3 or more goals(4 by 4) thats +25 from 7 matches.

9 of their wins were by 1 goal.
    Thats
    9 wins by 1 goal
    4 wins by 2 goals
    3 wins by 3 goals
    and 4 wins by 4 goals

That looks like a pretty normal distribution to me, so what story does it tell?

And Smemon winning over one third of their games by 3 or more goals would indicate that they have been going out pasting sides, like champions if you will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement