Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can chelsea be caught?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:
    their more boring and tactical than any of the previous premleague winners. nobody likes boring sides ie liverpool a few years ago, the old arsenal etc... usually if you fail to play to your strengths, you'll regret it. man for man chelsea are an attacking side, should be capable of hammering sides and beating the big boys with style, but they just havn't done that at all and instead scrape 3points every couple of games when really they dont deserve them.

there the second highest scorers in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Its called a tongue in cheek remark, and its only in response to unsubstantiated allegations that Chelsea have their money from shady sources. People would prefer to see United to win it as a result of these "shady dealings", Im just saying the reason United have all the cash is no more admirable.

It's called trolling If you ask me and the sort of bull**** that causes most the the problem around here. This thread was/is about Chelsea and you injected your comments aboiut man U as fact . What was your reasoning for that?

Unsubstantiated are you for real I sugges you do a bit of research .

My "stock reply" to such questions is only asking some posters to open their eyes before accusing other teams of anything, diving being the other one of the topics (sure we even getting them calling for bans to players etc). Its ridiculous.

Give me a link to a post in the diving thread from a United fan defending United players for diving. What ridicululous is your apparent inability to discuss any topic without bringing Man U into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

un, 6th H Man City (PREM.)
    16:05
    Sat, 12th A Everton (PREM.)
    12:45
    Sun, 20th A Newcastle (F.A.)
    16:00
    Wed, 23rd A Barcelona (U.C.L.)
    19:45
    Sun, 27th A Liverpool (C.C.)
    15:00 -
    March
    Sat, 5th A Norwich (PREM.)
    17:15 -
    Tue, 8th H Barcelona (U.C.L.)
    Sat, 19th H Crystal Palace (PREM.)

Man City and Everton could take points off them.
    If Newcaslte of Liverpool beat them it'll be a blow, one of them could.
    If Barca beat them then I think Palace, fighting for every little thing could get a draw.

----
    Sat, 16th A Man Utd (PREM.)
    Wed, 20th H Arsenal (PREM.)
    19:45 -
    Sat, 23rd H Fulham (PREM.)
    Sat, 30th A Bolton (PREM.)
    May
    Sat, 7th H Charlton (PREM.)
    Sat, 14th A Newcastle (PREM.)
    ---

It ain't over yet buddies.
    Two losses against Utd then Arsenal(not out of the question) could send them to a bad zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The Muppet wrote:
    Unsubstantiated are you for real I sugges you do a bit of research .

The way that Mr Abramovich acquired his money was by buying cheaply the shares of privatised companies after the fall of communism. This is not illegal, alot of european and american nationals made alot of money in the same way.

Roman Abramovich was investigated for fraud and theft and did not have to answer any charges for this. There is an allegation in place at the moment and is being investigated and there is a decision on whether or not a prosecution can be made, but that has nothing to do with any of the unsubstantiated claims that were made above.

Unless there are some published sources of dodgy dealings by RA, no allegations against him can be made on this forum.

Let that be an end to that discussion on this thread, if there are some substantiated claims feel free to open another thread on them as this has taken the thread way off topic.

On Topic I would like to think that Chelsea can be caught. Would certainly like to see a close run contest rather than one team running away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The Muppet wrote:
    It's called trolling If you ask me and the sort of bull**** that causes most the the problem around here. This thread was/is about Chelsea and you injected your comments aboiut man U as fact . What was your reasoning for that?
    This thread is about Chelseas chances of winning the league, the only with a decent chance of finishing ahead of them is United. They are going to get mentioned whether you like it or not.

I posted twice in this thread before you got your knickers in a twist, and mentioned United once. I made a tongue in cheek remark against the romantics that think if Chelsea win the leauge its a blow to football because the title was bought. IMO its no more bought if United (there only other real challengers at this stage) win it. Thats all.

The problem is not me passing the remark. Its you going on a rant about it. Look at the threads Ive posted on in the last few pages, the only ones I ever mention United are title (or game) related threads.
    The Muppet wrote:
    Unsubstantiated are you for real I sugges you do a bit of research.
    I have, and all I see is allegations and allegations. While I dont believe he is an angel (very few millionaires have never upset anyone), if he is as guilty of wrong doing as so many here think he would be screwed, yesterday.
    The Muppet wrote:
    Give me a link to a post in the diving thread from a United fan defending United players for diving. What ridicululous is your apparent inability to discuss any topic without bringing Man U into it.
    Thats not what I said. What they are doing is pointing the finger at the whole Arsenal team as players. They dont want to implement actual solutions, they just want Vieira banned, Cole banned, Pires banned.

Rant over. Apologies. If you want to take it further PM me.

Chelsea for the league. Mourinho wont crack.

PHB wrote:
    un, 6th H Man City (PREM.)

A Everton

Newcastle (F.A.)

Barcelona (U.C.L.)

Liverpool (C.C.)

A Norwich (PREM.)

H Barcelona (U.C.L.)
    H Crystal Palace (PREM.)
    15:00

----
    16th A Man Utd (PREM.)

20th H Arsenal (PREM.)

23rd H Fulham (PREM.)

30th A Bolton (PREM.)

7th H Charlton (PREM.)
    15:00
    Sat, 14th A Newcastle (PREM.)

cant see man city geetting anything off them, they are too inconsistent. Chelsea at home should pick up full points.

i think they need to win. the cup matches wont affect them.

i think if chelsea lose to barca they will definitly win the league, your best bet is to hope they go on a long run in the FA cup and champions league, a few injuries and they could struggle to maintain there form.

if they lose to barca, they have palace at home. cant see anything but a chelsea win no matter how disappointed they are.

Thats just plain old silly.
    Football is all about belief, thats all it is.
    Its 90% mental and the rest is in your head.

Why won't the cup matches affect them?
    Losing the FA CUp to Newcaslt eon'w affect their confidence? Why?
    Losing the League Cup to Liverpool won't affect their confidence? Please say why?
    If they lose to Barca and go out of the CL, they will be absolutley devasted, and rightly so. That is when the great teams slip up, when they lose!
    Look at arsenal after OT.

None the less, I'd love for them to meet United in the final :) I'd rather them than Barca anyway :)

My perfect ending to the season:

United meet Chelsea in both the FA CUP and CL final, and their league match gets postponed to the second last match of the season(which it probbaly will do) and decides the premiership.
    Now that would be football.
    3 games for the treble.

p.s. just in case anyone doesn't get it, I think Utd can do the treble this year.

PHB wrote:
    Thats just plain old silly.
    Football is all about belief, thats all it is.
    Its 90% mental and the rest is in your head.

Why won't the cup matches affect them?
    Losing the FA CUp to Newcaslt eon'w affect their confidence? Why?
    Losing the League Cup to Liverpool won't affect their confidence? Please say why?
    If they lose to Barca and go out of the CL, they will be absolutley devasted, and rightly so. That is when the great teams slip up, when they lose!
    Look at arsenal after OT.

Arsenal lose at old trafford was alot different. It was the big 50 unbeaten, also the manner in which they were beaten(dubious peno).

Chelsea's main aim is the premier league, so they wont be too upset losing to liverpool or newcastle, obviously they would prefer to win. but i cant see a losing those matchs de-railing there season.

They will be devastated if they lose to barca but i think muriniho will help them bounce back.

they lsot already this season and coped with that. Of course there is a chance they could bottle it, but i seriously doubt it.

also cant see united going the rest of the season unbeaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

whilst they are 2nd highest scorers, have the best goal difference, they aren't playing well and havn't done. how they have managed it i dont know.

stats are chelsea's best friend and it's about the only thing that makes them look good. on the pitch week in week out, i see a gifted chelsea side that dont perform and cant control games the way the rest can.

this chelsea side are not invincible, their not even a side you fear. you fear arsenal on form, liverpool on form, utd on form...i dont fear chelsea at all as they play like a mid-table side and simply havn't showed us what they can do.

atm, chelsea on form is robben and duff on form. take those 2 out and they'll look average. chelsea get far too much credit from everyone when they win. am i the only one that sees they are not an arsenal or a utd or madrid?? they are the greece of football atm and unless they start turning on the style like barca can do their luck will run out.

they are not champions, they are far from invincible and they are very much beatable by most premiership sides on their day. until they lift the trophy, they shouldnt be heralded and praised as winners. their in a great position, it looks over but it's not. should they beat or draw with arse and utd they'll be worthy winners but i firmly believe they wont be able to.

• Advertisement

so if they win the league will they be champions?

You seem to have a major chip on your shoulder regarding chelsea. If chelsea are playing like a mid-table side, maybe united and arsenal should give it a try, they mightnt be so far behind then.

of course the stats make them look good, its because they bloody are. Take keane and scholes out of united and their average, or henry and vieria from arsenal. To be honest Terry is a much more important player then roben and duff.

they were winning at the start of the season without those two. arsenal and united havent beaten them this season, united lost sure.

This thread is about Chelseas chances of winning the league, the only with a decent chance of finishing ahead of them is United. They are going to get mentioned whether you like it or not.................................

What you posted had nothing to do with teh race for the title. You say it was a flippant remark and maybe it was but considering some of the anti Utd crap here it's hardly surprising you got the reply you did.

I,m not in a twist over your post . If you want to post such unsubstatiated bull**** you should expect to be challenged about it, I saw something I knew to be wrong and asked you to prove your point.There was no indication taht you were joking.
    Thats not what I said. What they are doing is pointing the finger at the whole Arsenal team as players. They dont want to implement actual solutions, they just want Vieira banned, Cole banned, Pires banned.
    Well my position on it was/is that all players guilty of diving should be banned. Cole and Viera were used as examples {not by me} which is hardly surprising as theirs were the latest examples of it.Nobody was saying they were the only culprits.

Back on topic

39 points to play for United and Arsenal are still in with a reasonable chance of winning it and a few other teams mathematically could still win it. A few people here have very short memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

so if they win the league will they be champions?

You seem to have a major chip on your shoulder regarding chelsea. If chelsea are playing like a mid-table side, maybe united and arsenal should give it a try, they mightnt be so far behind then.

Chucky, smemon has been talking bollocks in here for over a year and he's not going to stop now. If any team dare get lucky or win without playing the best football of their lives and it's not Manchester United, he doesn't want to know.

It's a natural reaction to the slowly dawning comprehension that his team are no longer the best in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

The way that Mr Abramovich acquired his money was by buying cheaply the shares of privatised companies after the fall of communism. This is not illegal, alot of european and american nationals made alot of money in the same way.

Roman Abramovich was investigated for fraud and theft and did not have to answer any charges for this. There is an allegation in place at the moment and is being investigated and there is a decision on whether or not a prosecution can be made, but that has nothing to do with any of the unsubstantiated claims that were made above.

If you believe Mr Abramovich acquired his money legally and fairly...well you can believe what you want. I won't post any links, but if anybody is bothered just type "Abramovich + how he acquired his money "into google and you will find a wealth of reading material and these are not just articles posted on obscure websites. These articles are from well respected journalists from (to name just a few) the Guardian, Telegraph and from are own TCD. So you see these are not just wild allegations.
    Unless there are some published sources of dodgy dealings by RA, no allegations against him can be made on this forum.

I did not make any allegations...I stated a fact
    "Chelsea are doing it with Money from a Man who gained his money through a loss of assets that seriously undermines countries in the former Soviet Union to this day"
    I think the fact that well respected Broadsheets are questioning where he got all his money opens up the way for debate on a public forum. I appreciate that this post is off-topic but I just wanted to reply to this one statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'm a united fan and quite vocal about it but I'm also a realist and there's a lot of stuff here I disagree with
    smemon wrote:
    whilst they are 2nd highest scorers, have the best goal difference, they aren't playing well and havn't done. how they have managed it i dont know.

It's a poor league, really poor, Chelsea don't have to play to their capabilities to win games and they've been relentless this season. Whether they win by 1 goal or 10 goals is irrelevant, it all counts. The best united teams over the last 10 years all conceded goals regularly, we got used to seeing United banging in goals because they had to, they knew they were going to concede so they had to score more. Chelsea have a rock solid defence, that means they don't need to score as many. They're not top because of luck, they're top because they're more consistent.
    stats are chelsea's best friend and it's about the only thing that makes them look good. on the pitch week in week out, i see a gifted chelsea side that dont perform and cant control games the way the rest can.

Stats and results don't lie, I'd settle for united not being in control of games if we took 3 points from each of them.
    this chelsea side are not invincible, their not even a side you fear. you fear arsenal on form, liverpool on form, utd on form...i dont fear chelsea at all as they play like a mid-table side and simply havn't showed us what they can do.

I agree that any of the top teams could beat any of the other top teams but to say that the consistency, attacking quality and excellent defence of chelsea are those of a mid-table team is ever so slightly ridiculous. They are currently the top team in the country and their position reflects this
    atm, chelsea on form is robben and duff on form.

United 98-99 Keane and Schmeichal, or Keane and Beckham..your point is? They play to their strengths and robben and duff have been exceptional this year, but the real strength of Chelsea is Makelale and Cech. The confidence and support of the back allows Chelsea commit players forward and forces the opposition back, it's pretty impressive.
    they are not champions, they are far from invincible and they are very much beatable by most premiership sides on their day. until they lift the trophy, they shouldnt be heralded and praised as winners. their in a great position, it looks over but it's not. should they beat or draw with arse and utd they'll be worthy winners but i firmly believe they wont be able to.

If they win the league they will do it with the highest points total amassed in premiership history and possibly with the lowest goals conceded record. Hardly beatable by most teams imho..

They are a top team with a top manager, and while I think it's unlikely that Utd can catch them I really hope we do. failing that I will salute them and their achievement because it will be more than deserved

Iago wrote:
    Stats and results don't lie, I'd settle for united not being in control of games if we took 3 points from each of them.

If they win the league they will do it with the highest points total amassed in premiership history and possibly with the lowest goals conceded record. Hardly beatable by most teams imho..

They are a top team with a top manager, and while I think it's unlikely that Utd can catch them I really hope we do. failing that I will salute them and their achievement because it will be more than deserved

id settle for 3 points whilst not being in control of games too, but i wouldnt week in week out. it happens far too often and if your looking to win all trophies not just now but in the future, you must be able to raise your game and turn on the style when its needed. you cant be lucky forever and their will be times when chelsea go behind and struggle, this year it simply hasnt happened, it may be down to their play but imo its just fluked.

whilst they may get record points, smash all sorts of records, id prefer to play the current chelsea side than that of barcelona currently, arsenal last year, madrid a few years ago, utd of the late 90's. you get the picture. whilst stats point to a superhuman team, reality is they far from it and from watching them i think you'll agree youd prefer to play them than any of the above mentioned.

theres no doubt they are a top team, murinho is a good manager but imo they are level with utd and arsenal on the pitch and the stats dont reflect that. they are playing poorly yet picking up 3points and in order to win the league you MUST do that but it's gotten to the stage where its ridiculous and it's more than just a blip in form, as with blackburn they didnt deserve to win.

• Advertisement

Chucky, smemon has been talking bollocks in here for over a year and he's not going to stop now. If any team dare get lucky or win without playing the best football of their lives and it's not Manchester United, he doesn't want to know.

It's a natural reaction to the slowly dawning comprehension that his team are no longer the best in England.

if you watch chelsea, manutd and arsenal you'll know they are no better than utd or arsenal. if you watch football, you'll know man utd and arsenal are better than chelsea ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And it's because of them being no better that by a good distance they are top of the league ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It amazes me how Smemon still tries to defend the indefensible.

Chelsea are top of the league for a reason I do really hope they go on to win it so that Utd fans will know whats its like for a team that "dont play or act like champions" become champions.

The league table doesnt lie. Results what matter not the "style of football", if it were that case then Arsenal would be on there way to another premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

don't know why i'm being sucked into this again :-)

I've watched Chelsea playing attractive , sexy football or years and win nothing but a Cup, now they are playing a far more defensive game which is more european than premiership in style , it's not the most attractive style admittedly , but to say the counter attacking / wide play of Chelsea is inherently "worse" than the football played by Man U or Arsenal is nonsense. Chelsea have been lucky on occassions, particularly at Anfield but have played outstanding football when allowed to do so, away to Paris St Germain and Porto for example. Unlike many teams in the premiership they adapt.

Don't forget either Smemon that it's the 1st season this team has been together, I fully expected it to take many months for them to incorporate the Duff / Robben style into the team ...it didn't they went straight into top gear, I can only imagine that they have improved as they get more used to each other , the longer the team stay together the better they will function as a unit.

"id settle for 3 points whilst not being in control of games too, but i wouldnt week in week out. "

LOL , winning every week just isn't good enough ?

I think, Smenmon is trying to say that while they can grind out results, they don't play amazing football, thus won't win the CL, or do well in it?
    In that Chelsea might win the premiership by grinding out results but in the big games they will faulter?
    I think

• Advertisement

it's not all about style i know that. but chelsea dont have any style, if they do they havn't shown it. they cannot and will not win the champions league if they cant turn on the style, thats a fact.

their workrate will not be enough to get them through the champions league knock out stages and therefore they must be able to master games and own games the way the other big guns can when they need to.

if chelsea had been playing utd and arsenal every week, theyd be bottom out of that 3. style doesnt win you all matches, i accept that but you need too have it to win trophies. there are a few exceptions as always in football, a few one offs like greece. did greece deserve to win the euro's?? they did when you wear your romantic hat, they didnt when you wear your football hat.

i'll eat my hat if chelsea win the treble (excluding league cup) without totally outclassing a few big boys along the way. it cannot be done. the premierleague is a fluke imo (ok a bit harsh but it's a once off year put it that way), they will not win all the other trophies if they continue to play the way their doing in the league. and if luck goes against them they mightnt even win the league.

another huge luck factor is on the injuries front. if chelsea had as many 1st teamers out as utd in particular i think you could safely knock a few points of that 11 point gap.

PHB wrote:
    I think, Smenmon is trying to say that while they can grind out results, they don't play amazing football, thus won't win the CL, or do well in it?
    In that Chelsea might win the premiership by grinding out results but in the big games they will faulter?
    I think

spot on. plus in the future, they wont be so lucky as they have been this season grinding out games in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Chelsea have been playing good football all season, consistent preformers all over the team. I heard Cech say in an interview he now knows that once they score a goal or two they wont loose the game because they dont concede and generally that has been the case. In terms of comparison between united or arsenal, chelsea are 11 points better than united and 12? better than arsenal. In my opinion Chelsea can still be caught. I'd feel more confident if they had tougher games around the Champions League ties that said Mourinho may choose to play a weaker team and they may drop points to Palace or Norwich, who will both be looking to pickup whatever they can to avoid relegation. At this stage people are suggesting Chelsea could win everything, they may however still win nothing.

Looking forward to every game for the rest of this season, only wish blackburn had scored that pen and asked a real question of chelsea.

growler wrote:
    LOL , winning every week just isn't good enough ?

actually its not. i'd hate to see utd adopt houllier/greek style of football and win games by defending. it's not utd style, its not how football is supposed to be played and if your to be the true best, you must play attractive football. not all the time, but as much as possible. it's good for fans, players and football in general. after all, football is entertainment and wins dont always equal success.

having said that, if you cant play football, you do everything in your power to stop the opposition from playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

smemon wrote:
    it's not all about style i know that. but chelsea dont have any style, if they do they havn't shown it. they cannot and will not win the champions league if they cant turn on the style, thats a fact.

their workrate will not be enough to get them through the champions league knock out stages and therefore they must be able to master games and own games the way the other big guns can when they need to.

if chelsea had been playing utd and arsenal every week, theyd be bottom out of that 3. style doesnt win you all matches, i accept that but you need too have it to win trophies. there are a few exceptions as always in football, a few one offs like greece. did greece deserve to win the euro's?? they did when you wear your romantic hat, they didnt when you wear your football hat.

i'll eat my hat if chelsea win the treble (excluding league cup) without totally outclassing a few big boys along the way. it cannot be done. the premierleague is a fluke imo (ok a bit harsh but it's a once off year put it that way), they will not win all the other trophies if they continue to play the way their doing in the league. and if luck goes against them they mightnt even win the league.

another huge luck factor is on the injuries front. if chelsea had as many 1st teamers out as utd in particular i think you could safely knock a few points of that 11 point gap.

They won't win the champions league by playing unattractive defensive football. Have you heard of italian teams?

they cannot and will not win the champions league if they cant turn on the style, thats a fact
    :rolleyes:

no its a prediction

Has anyone ever heard of this team called Porto?

David19 wrote:
    They won't win the champions league by playing unattractive defensive football. Have you heard of italian teams?

i havnt heard of an italian team that won the champions league that couldnt turn up the heat when needed. murinho won the cl last year and uefa cup previous with a pure attacking side that had style, but were extremely lucky and unsporting also.

ive never seen a side win the champions league without deserving it jank. even porto. atm chelsea dont deserve it. barca qualified with 10 points, chelsea with 13 but i know who is the better side and who is the most feared, who can startle sides and win games, win games with style and flair.

We will see in 2 weeks time wheather your god-like knowledge of football comes to pass, otherwise im afraid you may be talking ****

EDIT: edited in case of insensitivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

yes they can be caught i believe united can still win the league all chelsea have to do is mess up today against man city and united are in

• Advertisement

snoopdog wrote:
    yes they can be caught i believe united can still win the league all chelsea have to do is mess up today against man city and united are in
    So The rumour that Man United will be awarded 9 Bonus points today If Man City Beat Chelsea is true. You heard it here first another exclusive for the Soccer forum.

so it begins.................

Timber...............!!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PHB wrote:
    so it begins.................
    i knew they would slip up sir Alex was right again
    come on man united get in there

9 points to go

06 February 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Chelsea v Man City, 16:05 draw :D

12 February 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Everton v Chelsea, 12:45 very tricky

23 February 2005
    UEFA Champions League
    Barcelona v Chelsea, 19:45 loose

27 February 2005
    Carling Cup
    Liverpool v Chelsea, win

05 March 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Norwich v Chelsea, 15:00
    win but could be tricky norwich are fighting for live

08 March 2005
    UEFA Champions League
    Chelsea v Barcelona, 19:45 draw

19 March 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Chelsea v Crystal Palace, 15:00
    win

02 April 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Southampton v Chelsea, 15:00
    win

09 April 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Chelsea v Birmingham, 15:00 draw

16 April 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Man Utd v Chelsea, 15:00
    loose

20 April 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Chelsea v Arsenal, 19:45lose

23 April 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Chelsea v Fulham, 15:00
    win

30 April 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Bolton v Chelsea, 15:00win

07 May 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Chelsea v Charlton, 15:00
    win

14 May 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Newcastle v Chelsea, 15:00
    draw

quite optimistic.

is the united chelsea match on tv? Sentanta or rte2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

snoopdog wrote:

What he predicted that Chelsea would draw a game instead of win as usual?

Chelsea should give up now :D

Chelsea are just not the same team without Robben though, I was dissapointed with Duff today he will need to step up now if Robben is out for a while

a nice bit of pressure on them now for the everton match. tricky little tie at goodison.

lets hope they feel the heat like arsenal did. another draw or loss would really have people wondering and that would be great for utd and arsenal. up to now, they havn't been put under pressure or asked questions of. theyve got away with games they shouldnt have won so it would be nice to see those points even themselves out.

Lets not forget the really really tough game that Utd have vs. City this sunday, definally not an easy game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

smemon wrote:
    actually its not. i'd hate to see utd adopt houllier/greek style of football and win games by defending. it's not utd style, its not how football is supposed to be played and if your to be the true best, you must play attractive football. not all the time, but as much as possible. it's good for fans, players and football in general. after all, football is entertainment and wins dont always equal success.

having said that, if you cant play football, you do everything in your power to stop the opposition from playing football.

First of all if you beleive that Greece were not the best team in Euro 2004 (and by best I don't mean have the most quality or playing really attractive football , I mean outplayed all the other teams) then you may need to consult a doctor of the mental kind .Chelsea have deserved everything they got , and I find Utd very boring to watch when they don't play other top teams and increase their tempo .

and lastly I don't know why I bothered posting any of this because you are Smemmon .

• Advertisement

wherever utd go you get drama, theres ALWAYS something interesting in a utd game, ie the spurs thing, fulham last min goal....van nitelrooy miss peno gainst arsenal.....so a utd game never ends without a talking point.

if everyone played like greece, football would be a dull sport with few fans. it's the david and goliath story of course... its good to an extent in that it shows anything can happen but come on now, we dont want to see more teams adopt that style of play. it's taking a step back in football if that happens. footballs entertainment and we want to keep it entertaining.

did chelsea deserve to win at anfield? blackburn? ....... even beat utd on the opening day..the list goes on. id find it hard to say they deserve everything theyve got. sure, everyone gets lucky, wins when they dont deserve it but when it happens frequently you cant say they deserve it.

Theres some intersting weeks ahead for Chelsea. After the next few games we will be in abetter position to judge if chelsea are likely to be caught. Chelsea have Two very tough games Playing both everton and A rejuvinated Liverpool. If the were to lose either of thos games and If Arsenal or United were top win both of theirs the pressure will be really on them. Both Arsenal and United have the experience to sustain their form in the riun it, it remains to be seen oif chelsea can sustain theirs.

Then there is the enquirey into the cole tapping allegations , who knows whats going to be the outcome of that but it appears they could be very serious for chelsea.

Robben could be out for up to 3 months and that will be a hugh blow On top of that there's a story surfacing about John Terry that if true will be embaressing to him and Chelsea and could see him dropped for the end of the Season run in. I'm not prepared to give details as this may be just rumour but detailed allegations have already been published in the public domain {on a small scale}, if it's true it may be hitting the papers in the weeks ahead and whether its true or not if that happens it is bound to cause some problems at Chelsea.

As I said some interesting weeks ahead for Chelsea with the posibillity of them coming under pressure both on and off the pitch it remains to be seen what effect that will have on thier title push,

smemon, seriously, take off those rose tinted glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The Muppet wrote:
    On top of that there's a story surfacing about John Terry that if true will be embaressing to him and Chelsea and could see him dropped for the end of the Season run in. I'm not prepared to give details as this may be just rumour but detailed allegations have already been published in the public domain {on a small scale}, if it's true it may be hitting the papers in the weeks ahead and whether its true or not if that happens it is bound to cause some problems at Chelsea.
    Thats a pretty big allegation to make without going into any detail or linking some sources. Putting "if true" in bold doesnt really distinguish you from any Sun "journalist" to be honest.

If you know or heard of something why not spill the beans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Don't worry. I know the guys are strong at heart and in mind. They will always do their best, what will be will be , so to speak. It would be very nice for us to win the Pl this year, being our centenary year. Anything could happen though and with the couple of injures we have at the moment, it will only make it more interesting.
    Having been a BLUES fan for the last 35 years, it's good to see the effort finally paying off and this in the first year of the "new team".
    Watch out in the years ahead. We're going to be around for a while I think.

KTBFFH. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

smemon wrote:
    wherever utd go you get drama, theres ALWAYS something interesting in a utd game, ie the spurs thing, fulham last min goal....van nitelrooy miss peno gainst arsenal.....so a utd game never ends without a talking point.

Right im convinced your eithe ramerican or kevin keegan. football is not all about 5-4 games, theres a place for every style. if every team had an all out attack attitude the league would go to ****. sure every game would have 8 goals in it but thats not what the game is about, its about teams playing to their strengths which is exactly what greece did.

• Advertisement

Thats a pretty big allegation to make without going into any detail or linking some sources. Putting "if true" in bold doesnt really distinguish you from any Sun "journalist" to be honest.

If you know or heard of something why not spill the beans?

If I was a "sun journalist" I could repeat them and link to the allegations from the original source with impunity. However I am not and the allegations may be totally untrue and therfore I will neither repeat them or link to them in fairness to the parties involved and the owners of this site.

The details of the allegations are irrelevant to my point. I only mentioned them in the context of problems that could affect Chelsea's run in to the title. John Terry is the lynch pin of the chelsea defence and if her were to miss games for whatever reason it would affect their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

snoopdog wrote:

Ha, I wouldn't call a draw a "slip up". :rolleyes: Man u have got to win 3 more games than CFC to catch them. They may do it, but then again.. :) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The Muppet wrote:
    If I was a "sun journalist" I could repeat them and link to the allegations from the original source with impunity. However I am not and the allegations may be totally untrue and therfore I will neither repeat them or link to them in fairness to the parties involved and the owners of this site.

The details of the allegations are irrelevant to my point. I only mentioned them in the context of problems that could affect Chelsea's run in to the title. John Terry is the lynch pin of the chelsea defence and if her were to miss games for whatever reason it would affect their chances.

I can only assume you are talking about drugs .As for Greece I actually find them very enjoyable to watch , even with their defensive play . But why I enjoyed it was because they didn't use the Italian side of drawing the team on only to block off all space , then wait for them to miss-place a pass and counter , them harried and harrassed and didn't give anyone any time on the ball , even to the smalliest detail their defending was perfect , but im sure thats not something that can be appreciated by armchair fans , and to be fair to them , when they got the ball they played football to their best ability .

As many people have said , play to your strengths .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

kleefarr wrote:
    Ha, I wouldn't call a draw a "slip up". :rolleyes: Man u have got to win 3 more games than CFC to catch them. They may do it, but then again.. :) .

One of those games being Manu U v Chelsea.
    Chelsea also to play Arsenal.
    Its a long shot but its happened before (Newcastle)
    Be very interesting to see how Chelsea react with Robben injured now.

Terry taking drugs? Sound a lot like bull****, and if it was true I'd say we'd hear about it instantly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement