Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Bike Driving Test

Options
  • 02-02-2005 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I'm doing my first ever driving test in two weeks and am very nervous despite the fact it’s only on a Scooter.

Could someone please give me sum advice on how to pass first time and what the test entails.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

do a pre-test lesson and you'll pass. The bike test is about that easy. Just know your rules of the road and all that stuff and you'll be grand. Only thing that may be a problem is if you get a Nazi instructor. Other than that, it's plain sailing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do some lessons ASAP - you need to learn about stuff like road positions and basically what the examing will be looking for. When you do the lesson/pretest they will get you to drive around and then they'll tell you if you are doing anything wrong and give you tips. Whatever you do JUST RELAX - i was a bundle of nerves when I did my test last year and I failed on stupid blue(or whatever colour is non major) faults that I woudn't have made if I wasn't so worked up!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

As rymus says, get some lessons. IRTA website (in the FAQ)

Test 2 years ago consisted of 2 laps to the right, 2 to the left. Drive at walking pace and a U turn. Took about 40 minutes in Tallaght due to heavy traffic. Don't panic, it's a PoP`

Will you get it done before the new test is introduced ? Details drivingtest.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

a_ominous wrote:
    As rymus says, get some lessons. IRTA website (in the FAQ)

Test 2 years ago consisted of 2 laps to the right, 2 to the left. Drive at walking pace and a U turn. Took about 40 minutes in Tallaght due to heavy traffic. Don't panic, it's a PoP`

Will you get it done before the new test is introduced ? Details drivingtest.ie

Also - you are under test from the time you set off - so signal etc while in the car park leaving for the road.

Lots of Head movements - instructor cannot see your eyes - so move your head.
    Look around each parked car showing you pass to see the hidden side of the car (over emphasing so he can see you checked noone/dog etc was behind it)
    Dont speed or go too slow.

You will be asked some questions from book - questions always include th following
    1. If oncomming car at night dazzling you what do you do
    ans: pull over and wait til hes gone.
    2. What hazzards on road would you expect?
    Ans = leaves, loose stones and animals esp in country.
    3. Know the speed limits for built up areas etc now they are metric.
    4. What signs are these (especially know a red circle with white center)
    5. Rarely asked braking distances at certain speeds - but I was.
    6. What are two times you can pass on left.

When I did it - hardest bit was the hand signaling - this might not be needed anymore?? (When stopping - Clutch In - indicator switch and brake and handsignal at same time! madness to attempt with fewer than 3 hands - but it was the test)

Oh - and if your bike is not taxed or stop light doesnt work or indicators dont work - then you will fail instantly. He will also look at threads on tires.

higher % ppl pass than car tests...

“Roll it back”

Advertisement