Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run another cable or get a switch

Options
  • 02-02-2005 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

Wanting to add another PC to a 4 PC network all plugged into a 16 port switch.
    Two of the existing PC's are in one room plugged into a 4 port switch. The PC to be added needs to share an office with 4th. Would it make much difference if 4 and 5 share a switch or if another cable should be run into the room from the main switch.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what is the % utilisation of each port on your LAN ?
    ie. how long is a piece of string.

Shouldn't make too much difference - I'm guessing you have a server and it would be the bottleneck. I'm also guessing that both switches are 10/100 , which means that if only one PC is talking to the server it will get the full 100 (and any other two devices on the network could also have thier own 100Mb conversation - the only priviso is that since there is a single cable between the switches that if there were two converstaions happening at the same time across the link then the speed would be halved)

for most office work three PC's on a remote switch is fine.

running another cable - it's like €40 for 305m or something so do youself a favour and run two or better still 4 cables (even if you don't terminate them yet ) - running just one is a complete waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

what is the % utilisation of each port on your LAN ?
    ie. how long is a piece of string.

Shouldn't make too much difference - I'm guessing you have a server and it would be the bottleneck. I'm also guessing that both switches are 10/100 , which means that if only one PC is talking to the server it will get the full 100 (and any other two devices on the network could also have thier own 100Mb conversation - the only priviso is that since there is a single cable between the switches that if there were two converstaions happening at the same time across the link then the speed would be halved)

for most office work three PC's on a remote switch is fine.

running another cable - it's like €40 for 305m or something so do youself a favour and run two or better still 4 cables (even if you don't terminate them yet ) - running just one is a complete waste of time.

Tanks a million. A bit rusty on this cabling ting.

Advertisement