Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BBC News] Chuckies take ball; Go home

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

swiss wrote:
    Michael McDowell recently visited WIT to deliver a public lecture. One of the themes of which he spoke was of his Republican ideals and values, and warned against comparing them to the Sinn Féin/IRA “republicanism”. This is mirrored by a statement issued by the Justice minister on the www.justice.ie website. The following quote is taken from this site:

“Those of us who are genuinely Republican - who know the meaning of the term - must stand by the Republic which our grandparents, parents and we have created and serve- not the monster of the Provisionals' ideology.”

There is no doubt the over the last 30+ year that the word republican has been blooded with the IRA. Especially - if you from the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Adams concedes Northern bank might be IRA
    16/02/2005 - 19:16:11

Gerry Adams today admitted for the first time that the IRA may have been behind the Northern Bank raid.

During an interview with a Madrid radio station, Mr Adams repeated that he did not believe the republican terror group carried out the December 20 heist.

He said: “The IRA has said it was not them. I believe them.” But he added: “But maybe I am wrong.”

Despite claims by ceasefire watchdog the Independent Monitoring Commission that Sinn Féin leaders sanctioned the robbery, Mr Adams insisted his party was not involved.

He pointed to recent comments by Northern Ireland Chief Constable Hugh Orde that he had no idea whether Sinn Féin members had prior knowledge of the robbery.

He conceded that the allegations had soured the political atmosphere but expressed hope that there could be political progress after the general election.

SDLP West Belfast MLA, Alex Attwood, said: "If Gerry Adams now says he could be wrong than it has to be accepted that the Taoiseach, policing chiefs and countless others could be and are right about IRA involvement in bank raids and crime.

“The comments of the Sinn Féin President indicate that whatever denials and deceit, the truth will out about IRA involvement in stealing and smuggling.”

http://breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=2844855&p=z84487x&n=2844947&x=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He said: “The IRA has said it was not them. I believe them.” But he added: “But maybe I am wrong.”

The plot thickens, is the the first sign of softening us up befor the big revelation?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

He made a further statement: http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0217/adamsg.html

Advertisement