Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-mms picture messages on Meteor

Options
  • 03-02-2005 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all (first post but been lurking a while)

Anyone remember the little black and white pictures Nokia introduced a few years ago which you could stick into an ordinary SMS and send - the whole thing still has to fit into 160 characters. Vodafone charged the same as an ordinary SMS (I used to be on a Vodafone bill phone)

Switched to Meteor pre-pay in December. Normal texts are fine, but I only discovered yesterday Meteor are charging me for 3 texts each time I send one of these picture SMS. GF (still on Voda) loves these things :rolleyes: and I've sent loads :o

Wondering if this has happened to anyone else, I rang Meteor today and they weren't too sure if this was supposed to happen and said they'd look into it. Does anyone else still use these yokes, phone is a Nokia 8310 which isn't MMS capable (will upgrade in a few months when my free credit offer is up)

Cheers

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

I'm not sure about this but I actually thought those B&W pictures took 3 regular SMS's to send as it was (i.e. the data that composed the picture took the same space as roughly 3 SMS's). Are you sure you were only paying for one SMS each time you sent them when with Vodafone? I have been with o2 for a while and back when those pictures were doing the rounds I think I was paying for 3 SMS's a piece as well ... Then again I could be mistaken in my recollection ...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Seems you're right (re-checked my old Vodafone bill). Rarely used picture SMS when I was on Vodafone, but it does appear on the bill as 3 texts to the same number within one or two minutes.

It was very obvious when checking on mymeteor because the time of the call/sms is shown down to the second, 3 texts within 5 seconds kinda sticks out :rolleyes:

For some reason I always thought it was charged as one text. You get less than 160 characters and I thought the compressed image fitted into the 'lost' characters, not so it appears.

BTW I never did hear anything back from Meteor but wasn't really expecting to. Just got my latest 10 euro free credit today so I'm way ahead of the game :) I'm spending about half as much per month now than when I was on Vodafone - they have great coverage but you certainly pay for it.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement