Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

setting up a "metered" AP

• 03-02-2005 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

meeting with a hotel tommorrow in relation to setting up a WIFI AP, but they want to charge for it

just wondering how exactly this is implmented and what software you would reccomend?

im guessing a Linux proxy server would be a start, with some custom software? or is there a dedicated AP that can take care of all this?

somthing like bitbuzz or eircon's setup, you pop is a PW and you get x amount of time.

thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

are they trying to rip off the customer or provide a service ??
    do they charge people to use the toilets 'cos costs a lot more to keep the toilets clean and most of us techies if all else was equal would go for the place that doesn't charge a tenner an hour. TBH the amount of time and effort to setup and debug a paid system and charge enough to break even would be the more expensive than the BB and Hardware.

http://nocat.net - Open Source captive portal.

maybe could setup a dhcp server with a short lease time - need a bit of scripting - maybe have two ip ranges - one the dynamic addresses without internet access for those who haven't paid yet ( better still have it only able to see some sites like the hotels one ) and then when they pay an a script exports thier address to a static one on the other ip range with a short time lease which then gets deleted but can see the internet. The trick is to get MAC filtering by the linux box turned off and on easily..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

are they trying to rip off the customer or provide a service ??

TBH, I agree, but its not up to me. ive already expressed my views to them regarding this.

that solution sounds a bit complex! surely theres somthing out there that presents you with a logon when you try to access the internet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH, I agree, but its not up to me. ive already expressed my views to them regarding this.

that solution sounds a bit complex! surely theres somthing out there that presents you with a logon when you try to access the internet?
    I reckon that's why they can charge €10-€20 an hour

IIRC NoCat allows you to connect but (tansparent proxy?) it forces you to a particular page until you login or do something. The reason for the scripting is to BREAK the normal function of DHCP which is to reserve IP address for when you next reconnect. Luckily enough Linux does all this with text files so it is possible. to hacker proof it just make the price attractive.

alternatively you could use password authentication on a squid proxy server..
    then you just need to setup the pw/times on whatever service squid authenticates against -
    you could even use NT authentication
    NET USER username password /ADD
    and then spawn a batch file triggered by thier logon (messy but doable)
    WAIT 3600 (or somesuch)
    NET USER username /DELETE=

if you were masochistic -
    not sure how you get squid to re-authenticate at intervals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

www.linspot.com

But they take a 15% cut of transactions, looks like they also fix the price that you sell at, €2.50 for 2 Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Well speak of...

http://www.publicip.net/zonecd/how.php

nocat incorporated into a live cd, doesn't have the paypal payment, & roaming facilities meant to be in linspot though.

No, I haven't used either, just stuff I've spotted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

looks good so far, a step in the right direction anyway. Downloading them now.

Advertisement