Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have pistol licence, how do I get it now?

Options
  • 03-02-2005 3:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Ok Guy's I have got my pistol licence! I obtained my serial no from a gunshop, applied and I now have my licence. My dealer keeps telling me he is going to get an import licence soon but Im doubtful! Im now thinking of getting the pistol up North and going section 7 and European firearms pass. Im new to the discussion group and I have looked back over the various strings but I cant work out exactly everything I need to do. I suppose I have 4 questions: 1) Is my dealer likely to get an importation licence? (It appears not likely before the criminal justice act is passed based on postings on the site) 2) What exactly is a section 7 and how do I apply for and get it? 3) Where do I apply for and get the european firearms pass? 4) Can my dealer get the pistol to the North or do I need to deal with a shop up there? (Any others beside Lock Stock and Barrel or are they the best?, sorry thats no 5)

Any advise from anyone who has done this already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

1) Possibly not, but there's always a chance;
    2) A section 7 authorisation is basicly a letter from your local superintendent saying you're allowed buy the gun and ammunition on your licence in another country in the EU - once you have the licence, you are entitled to this (it cannot be refused) and you just ask your local superintendent (or the garda that handles firearms stuff in your local station) for it;
    3) Again, your local superintendent/local firearms garda. Again, as with the section 7, you are entitled to the europass and it can't be denied;
    4) Um. There's a grey area. I'd say no, because the legal bit allowing you to bring in the pistol seems to be reliant on it being you who brings in the firearm. Of course, your dealer might make an introductory phone call to smooth out the details for you.
    5) Er, sorry, never dealt with them so don't know!

BTW, the other lads on here who've done this personally, pipe up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

backsight wrote:
    Ok Guy's I have got my pistol licence! I obtained my serial no from a gunshop, applied and I now have my licence. My dealer keeps telling me he is going to get an import licence soon but Im doubtful! Im now thinking of getting the pistol up North and going section 7 and European firearms pass. Im new to the discussion group and I have looked back over the various strings but I cant work out exactly everything I need to do. I suppose I have 4 questions: 1) Is my dealer likely to get an importation licence? (It appears not likely before the criminal justice act is passed based on postings on the site) 2) What exactly is a section 7 and how do I apply for and get it? 3) Where do I apply for and get the european firearms pass? 4) Can my dealer get the pistol to the North or do I need to deal with a shop up there? (Any others beside Lock Stock and Barrel or are they the best?, sorry thats no 5)

Any advise from anyone who has done this already?

DoJ are now issuing import licences on an individual basis. Ask your dealer to apply for an import for the pistol specified on the licence. Some Gardai are getting a little annoyed at dealers giving out numbers and then not applying for the import licence. Result of this is that Gardai have to make alterations to already granted pistol licence,which is no big deal in itself but creates more paperwork. Probably the best thing is to hassle the dealer to apply for the import, the DoJ are issuing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

My understanding is that you will be issued a import licence, the dealer will not!!!, there are many dealers in NI with pistols available, PM me for contact numbers etc, with sales note in hand local stn will do a one on one off over the counter, not ideal but if you explain your case he or she will understand, with the licence you then fill in the Dept form and send it off, I gather that they are turning them around in a few days, on receipt of same inform your NI dealer , he in turn then applies to the PSNI for a disposal order for the gun, to collect the gun you simply meet at the border and exchange all revelant documents, or apply to the PSNI for a visitors permit, personally I would opt for the border. !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

If you already have a licence then your licence is specific to that firearm.
    So you may have to go through your earlier dealer and liase with a dealer in the north to get that specific Firearm.

If you do a deal with a Dealer in the North for a different firearm then you will have to reapply for a new licence.

Les45's advice is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If you do a deal with a Dealer in the North for a different firearm then you will have to reapply for a new licence.

This isn't the case. Changing the details of the firearm on the licence is a nearly instant process and does not require a new application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

Forget your southern dealer , Les will give you contact details for a good dealer in NI , pick your gun , pay the man , 3- 5 days later you will have a serial number , go to guards, get them to add the new make and serial number on your licence and apply for euro pass and article 7, all you need is 2 passport photos for the euro pass , If they play dumb on the article 7 tell them to ring the park and talk to c section and they will forward the forms to the super, you should get back your europass and article 7 in about a week , photocopy all these and the licence, meet your dealer at the border and get your gun , Also if you didnt get 500rds on your licence do it when you are changing the guns on the licence. Getting a temporary northen licence is out at the minute as they changed the laws in the north on feb 1 and took down the application forms about a week ago . it says they will put up the new forms when they are available on the psni site . meeting at the border is your best option . Any more questions just ask .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 backsight

Cheers all,

Lots of good advice here. I havent used a bulletin board for years, I gave up on them because of all the BS I used to get on them. However this one seems realy well run and informative. Credit to ya all.

I have only 100 rds on my licence, I just ask for 500 when Im getting the pistol changed?

Also how do I get the rds? Get them at the border with the pistol and get them there again each time I expend the 500?

Backsight

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

when you are changing the guns ask the guard to change it to 500 , or 1000 if you think you can get it , he will simply write it on and stamp it, its a pity you didnt ask before you made the application as you have 100 in pulse now and will have to ask him to do this manually every year , on the back of the green garda application about half way down is where it quotes how many rounds you want , most people and guards dont bother with it and you get the default 100 rounds which is useless for pistol shooting, you can easily go through 3-500 rounds in a day . for ammo , down load importation application from justice website , fill it in and put 500 on it , attach a letter saying you want it for target shooting at such a range attach a photocopy of your licence send it, off twiddle your thumbs for a week then ring them every day to ask its progress untill you get it (preferably the same person ) then go meet your dealer and he can import the ammo for you using your import licence. as soon as you get it apply for the next one straight away, they will ask where did the last 500 go , write an explanation on why you fired more than 3 rounds a day :) , and start again . its slow and a pain in the ass but it works and thats what counts, what part of the country are you in out of curiousity and what gun di dyou go for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 backsight

Im in Wexford. New Ross to be exact. I went for a Glock 21. I have mostly used 9mm in the past so I might change the calibre when I change for the north dealer. The reason I went for the 21 is it was the only second hand glock my dealer had access to and being honest with you I was very suspect that something might happen to prevent me getting one. I had always planned to test and see and if I got one and then change to a 9mm after a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 geoseeker

Hi Folks,
    Have just started the process of applying for a pistol and thanks to this board I feel a bit more confident as to what it will take!
    I visited TANNYOKY GUNS & AMMO (15mins outside Newry) and having seen their stock of Glocks, Walters and Rugers I went for the Heckler & Koch USP in the 9mm flavour :p .
    That was a week ago and I have to ring back today to get the serial number as he did not have a new one in stock at the time.
    In the meantime I have asked the local Gardai for an Artical 7 form and hope to have that by the end of this week. So I'll update the board as events happen and if any elders would like to share more of their tips to be able to get this on my license easier/quicker please post.
    I already have a Rifle (Remington 597 / 22 magnum) at the moment so with this in mind my application can hardly be refused (can it?) Also I'm a member of two gun clubs but both currently do not provide pistol shooting falcitites so would I really need to join a pistol target club ASAP? :confused:
    Looking forward to some tips and advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

Backsight

Ok Guy's I have got my pistol licence! I obtained my serial no from a gunshop, applied and I now have my licence.

As a matter of interest how long did it take to get your licence and did you have any hassle , are you a member of a club ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

geoseeker wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    Have just started the process of applying for a pistol and thanks to this board I feel a bit more confident as to what it will take!
    I visited TANNYOKY GUNS & AMMO (15mins outside Newry) and having seen their stock of Glocks, Walters and Rugers I went for the Heckler & Koch USP in the 9mm flavour :p .
    That was a week ago and I have to ring back today to get the serial number as he did not have a new one in stock at the time.
    In the meantime I have asked the local Gardai for an Artical 7 form and hope to have that by the end of this week. So I'll update the board as events happen and if any elders would like to share more of their tips to be able to get this on my license easier/quicker please post.
    I already have a Rifle (Remington 597 / 22 magnum) at the moment so with this in mind my application can hardly be refused (can it?) Also I'm a member of two gun clubs but both currently do not provide pistol shooting falcitites so would I really need to join a pistol target club ASAP? :confused:
    Looking forward to some tips and advice

Yo got a number for these guys ?? and do they have many second hand pistols ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Backsight, did you get sorted out after?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

If you're thinking along the lines of a Glock the official dealer in the north is Beattie Firearms, but its near Belfast. They will be £70stg cheaper roughly though. Tannoky are 100% to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 geoseeker

YES!
    Went along to Ashbourne station last week to collect the Article 7 and €uro Pass and faxed a copy up to Tannyoky. Should have the USP within 3 weeks at most.
    In the meantime I have ordered a whole lot of goodies for my new best friend, Targets, Tritium Night Sights, 18 rnd mags, Jet Funnel, Holsters and Cleaning Kit/ Range Bag and of course with safety in mind Shooting Glasses and a pair of Peltor Tactical 7s Hearing Protectors.
    Will let you guys know after I pick her up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Hello Geoseeker,
    Congratulations and i hope you have many years happy and safe shooting with it.

Regards,
    Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I'm in the north and I bought a rifle in the south (the other way round from the original question I know) and I was told there would be a 4 week wait on the europass so I just drove down, the dealer gave it me and I drove home.

Might have been fun explaining it to Gardai had I been stopped :o

Lesson:- patience is a virtue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Don't I know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

You think that is bad.Spent 3 weeks trying to meet my Sgt(he kept going leave or sick to avoid me) then it took another 6 weeks for cert to come thru(even with connections) Arranged everything with dealer to find out 1 week later that Serial no. was wrong(only first letter)Have spent last 10 days trying to get Sgt. to amend cert under 1964 Act, but all I can get is "I don't think I can do that".He refused to take my call today and is gone till Friday.If I had any hair I would be pulling it out by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

LUXURY!!!
    I put my application in on Jan 3rd of this year.The local boys got back to me March 25th to re do the application on a formal basis.Over the following months I have answerd the Super GM of Limerick question on storage,what I am using it for ,where it is how I am I going to get it back into Ireland,etc etc.From July to the current date I have met silence now from him.I obvisouly answerd all his questions and now the only he can stop this is stonewall me and ignore me.After ringing his secetary twice over the last three weeks to make an appointment to meet him and being told he will return my calls,which never happened I wrote to him Monday to outline my position and could we meet.Letter was deliverd by hand,still no reply.
    Lads,I have just deleted a paragraph here on what I think of our police force and their relation to third world police forces and especially the Keystone Cops attitude in the Gardai and DOJ that prevails here to shooters,as it might be too strong for the more timorious souls that inhabit these boards. :mad: :mad:
    All in all I have news for him.I am not going away,and will continue to bother him on this until I get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Forgive me ignorance, I just came to read this thread out of general interest. I've done some shooting while living in the US, and enjoyed it. I thought that a civilian could not legally aquire a hangun/pistol in the state? Am I wrong? I just thought shotguns/rifles were available, under strict rules to farmers/hunters etc. I didn't realise one could get a hangun (Not that I plan on getting one) Could anyone explain the situation to a novice?

cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You can licnence a pistol here, in general you will need to be a member of a pistol club at a minimum but you may be asked for more (gun safe, monitored house alarm, pistol handling course). There are quite a few threads about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers Rew,

Beats the US, where I lived from the age of 19 for three years; I could go in to K-Mart and purchase a shotgun and cartridges over the counter with a state drivers license, and not even buy a 6 pack of Bud!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I remember being in sports shops in the US and looking all the guns that were just racked up behind the counter. Noting quite like that here yet.

Advertisement