Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

verbal & written warnings - HELP

• 03-02-2005 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

is there a law that
    you have to receive a verbal warning or warnings
    before you receive a written warning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

I think its one verbal warning and two written warnings before they can fire you - you should check your contract (if you have one)

Why have you been a bold boy? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

bold... no...
    backstabbing-powerhungry-shoulderpadded-bitch-boss from hell... definitely

well i had received a verbal warning months ago but at my review
    in november they said they were clearing that off my record because
    they were happy with my progress... cut to last week
    big fight.. hr meeting that turned into a bit of a standoff.

and then a 1st written warning was issued to me.
    i dont' want that on my record, as such, but im handing
    in my notice today anyway.. just want to know if it they
    are allowed cut straight to a written warning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no, there is no law on diciplinary actions.
    there should be a format in your work contract stating that there is a warning system in place, or indeed, what that warning is, but i think most of them will say that if the crime is bad enough, then you can go straight onto a written warning.

as for the amount of warnings of each type before you are fired, sorry dirtydog, but that is actually incorrect.
    you can be fired on the spot for gross misconduct, or whatever is stipulated in your contract as gross misconduct. there are no limitations to the amount of warnings you can receive, but i think if you get awhole list of them and you still havent been fired, then you work in one dodgy company!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

if you have a disciplinary warning system in your contract, the only law they are bound to, is that a HR Rep must either be there for verbal warnings, and the written warnings have to be counter signed by HR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Whitewashman your right, it all depends on what you have done and of course you can be fired on the spot if its bad enough - that goes without saying.
    However most companies i have worked for use the 1-2 rule, if you do get more than many written warnings then you truely are working for a v dodgy company, and your probably dodgy too :)

• Advertisement

Gilgamesh wrote:
    if you have a disciplinary warning system in your contract, the only law they are bound to, is that a HR Rep must either be there for verbal warnings, and the written warnings have to be counter signed by HR

aparently there is a system in the handbook, that was never received,
    after 18 months.. going to track it down now... but should i be asked
    to sign a written warning? it was just signed by HR and given to me.
    i don't accept it and want to dispute it in anyway that i can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if you have been working there for 18 months, you re bound to the contract regardless of whether or not you have seen it.
    if you dispute the written warning, then you should get all the details regarding the diciplinary proceedure, and the course of action required should be in there.

if not, then say you dont accept it, and that you want to take this higher. see what they do.

so, i know you are totally without blame in this incident, but what did you really do, and why are they giving you a written warning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

aparently there is a system in the handbook, that was never received,
    after 18 months.. going to track it down now... but should i be asked
    to sign a written warning? it was just signed by HR and given to me.
    i don't accept it and want to dispute it in anyway that i can.
    If there's a disciplinary procedure (and the company is big enough to have HR), then there's an appeals procedure.

agree with seamus on that.
    but normally you have to sign a copy of the warning for their records, but it is more to their security incase you take this to court, or they do.
    better off not signing if you can

basically deadlines that are impossible to achieve are being set without
    my imput.. that's fair enough. lies are being told in our weekly tech meeting
    that a project is in development when it hasnt' even started.

my manager is a yes woman, yes that'll be no problem to do, yes ill get "whiteshadow"
    do do that etc... but she's completely disorganised. tells me of a deadline, sometimes an hour before she needs to go into a meeting. Wouldn't be so bad put the project
    in question is a shared responsibility project, with only me getting any blame for it.
    really bad management, so bad that she needs a fallguy... me.

a written warning is issued, and i can bend over and take it up the arse, take
    it higher than HR, as HR and my manager are very paly paly .. bought eachother christmas pressies etc... or go down fighting.

just submitted my resignation from http://www.i-resign.com
    but it's an absolute joke of a company, im better off out of it.
    but it's entirely bad management, but the buck stops at me.
    tried to change it before, but there's no talking to them.
    HR have an answer for everything.

• Advertisement

well, if you have resigned anyway, what is the point of discussing the warnings? records like that are not transferred to other companies, and they are not aloud to badmouth you if another company calls asking for references.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gilgamesh wrote:
    well, if you have resigned anyway, what is the point of discussing the warnings? records like that are not transferred to other companies, and they are not aloud to badmouth you if another company calls asking for references.
    Well, they can say whatever they like about you, so long as it's backed up. If they have a clock-in system, they're perfectly allowed to say "He was consistently late" if the clock-in system verifies their story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Go higher up than your current incompetent boss. Talk to her superior and explain the situation and problems in a reasonable manner.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

seamus wrote:
    If there's a disciplinary procedure (and the company is big enough to have HR), then there's an appeals procedure.

As usual, Seamus is on the mark, furthermore - the appeal must be judged by somebody other that those involved in the initial ruling. To have an appeal heard by the same people is contrary to 'natural justice'. So if you do appeal it will go higher up than your manager and that HR person

hi luke,

ill have the oppertunity to air my grievances in an exit interview.
    only i think my manager will be present at the interview ...or is it outerview... badum tishch... anyway might go up a level,
    but that's the CEO and let her know why im leaving,

how incompetent the manager of the department (3 people, 2 without me) is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

If you don't like the sound of a possible bust up at your leaving interview maybe try to leave on the best terms possible with all the staff, then write up a nice reasoned explanation of how you saw the situation with your incompetent boss.
    Send it to the CEO or whoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

when you started work you should have been given some documentation stating how the warning system works. It depends on the company and the nature of the offence, but most give 2 verbal warnings for minor things, 1 written warning and then the next time you do something you're out

Advertisement