Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Mod Chips

Options
  • 03-02-2005 12:19pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭

can someone tell me what the best PS2 mod chip is? there's plenty of Xbox mod chip posts, but not that many PS2 ones? i can solder, and would prefer to only spend around €50. any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

http://www.modchipsireland.com/ - should find all you need here. The guy that runs it is on boards here too, i think!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i was thinking of using that site, but i think you have to send your PS2 off to him to be installed. now i might still do this, but it would probably be a bit cheaper to install it myself. do you know if he sells just the chips, minus the install fee?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to install it yourself then you better have advanced skills with microsoldering. As well as that one slip of the solder and you will have a burnt out CPU or GPU or DVD controller. All the most important and expensive parts are located around the area that the chip will fit. In other words unless you are extremely confident and have lots of experience with microsoldering you are better off getting it done by some one who knows what they are doing. Its not like chipping an xbox, any monkey with a soldering iron can do that themselves. The difficulty of the chipping process is why getting the PS2 chipped is so expensive.

As for the best chip to get go for the Messiah 3 or the latest version of the magic chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Sorry about the hi-jack but what will a mod chip enable you to do exactly, will u then be able to play ntsc games in your ps2? and is there anything else that the chip will allow you to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

basically, they let you play games/dvd's from any region, and let you play copi...i mean games you bought, then backed up... also, some let you use emulators for snes/megadrive etc.

i suppose i probably will send the PS2 away, since i'm not that experienced in soldering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kiith wrote:
    also, some let you use emulators for snes/megadrive etc.

All modchips will let you run emulators.

Have you tried the emulators for Snes and Megadrive? They are terrible. The best Snes emulator runs at an almost playable speed without sound and unplayable with sound. Same deal with the Megadrive one. If you want emulation get an xbox.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Off to Tweaking / Modding with this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

sound_wave wrote:
    http://www.modchipsireland.com/ - should find all you need here. The guy that runs it is on boards here too, i think!
    i agree i got my ps2 chipped by Chris from Modchipsireland.com (matrix infinity fully upgrades ps2 bios by CD-r downloads :P) and the matrix infinity is the best one i have seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 He!p

Is chipping your games console still legal in Ireland. I know it has be outlawed in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

This dude is based in Ireland, got a gamecube one from there last week and it came in a couple of days

http://www.worldmodchips.com/main.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

that guy doesnt seem to install them
    so modchipsireland.com kicks ass :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭littlejay

legal in ireland still im almost sure but not in uk

i saw an italian guy post on another forum he was doing them from his house.
    it was kinda funny he gave a fcukin map and directions etc.. 20 euro to chip and 30 for the chip piece . the gauwl of some people?
    hey theres another saying . check my other thread out ...about irish sayings .hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Jakkass wrote:
    that guy doesnt seem to install them
    so modchipsireland.com kicks ass :D

Ye he wants to install it himself sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I've recieved a good duo2se from www.psxtune.com, arrived fairly quickly (posted from Austria as far as I remember), and was cheap. Installation is very tricky on PSX, full diagrams are available on that site, and it depends on what model you have as to how difficult it will be.

On most playstations, there are 2 solder points onto a particular chip, which are really really small and tight together, and can prove very tricky. The other points are not so bad though (I think for the chip I bought there were about 14 solder points I needed to do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Typhoon

Ah nuts... i just ordered a chip form another website.....DMS3 plus..anyone know if they're any good? ....now i gotta go find someone to install it for me... anyone know some one in the south east that does it?? bit cagy bout sendin the console anywhere in post

Advertisement