Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Irelands 3rd City!

• 03-02-2005 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I was just wondering if any1 would like to give there view on the confussion between Galway City and Limerick city as irelands third city. every1 knows Galway is the third biggest Even if it doesnt have a gawdy 13 story architecturally impaired Hotel! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Why not have them share the position and have Galway as the third city with Limerick as the TURD city? And I stayed in that silly hotel - it is mung and tasteless.

Galway doesn't really count as a city - it should be downgraded to 'large town' AFAIC.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Agree about the Limerick as the turd city but Galway is definitely a city its just retained its Medievel Town centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Its a city sized town without the city standard infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Yank

That's the best thing about Galway -- it has most of the conveniences of a city without feeling so much like one. Let's hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

limerick is bigger but not by much.
    Galway is cool though, its small and compact. There is no where you cant walk to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

I have lived in both. They're polar opposites. Of all the cities I have experienced Galway is the best city in Ireland, Limerick is the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

Galway "city" - grew from a large town in the 60's/70's to what it is now because the government pumped massive amounts of money into to the expense of other parts of Ireland. All in the name of "save the west". Most people I know who have visited Galway say it is more like a town than a city. A small centre with massive housing development surrounding it.

Sorry for whinging but I don't like seeing towns/cities propped up by government funds while other areas are starved of funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Galway is without a doubt, a CITY. Sligo on the other hand is being called a city, when clearly it is only a town.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dac51 wrote:
    Sorry for whinging but I don't like seeing towns/cities propped up by government funds while other areas are starved of funds.
    Can you suggest some other form of civilisation more deserving of funds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Leitrim. ("civilisation" might be taking it a bit far though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Donegal could do with a bit of a boost, as could Mayo.
    GMIT Castlebar is being closed down apparently.

Advertisement