Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H&M,M&s & Debenhams for Galway

Options
  • 03-02-2005 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Heard in rte news super value in roches are closing and being re opened as m&S which is selling food and clothes and will open in june.... does this mean plans for the M&S and debenhams as the new anchors of the galway shopping centre are being scraped... Any1 ere H&M are on the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, saw the boardings being put up in front of the supervalu lot yesterday.

Who are H&M?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Jammyd wrote:
    Heard in rte news super value in roches are closing and being re opened as m&S which is selling food and clothes and will open in june....

M&S are opening in Supervalu in Roches? As in Roches stores in the Corrib shopping centre? I thought they were supposed to be going into the Supervalu on the lower level of Eyre Square?
    Who are H&M?
    They're a clothes shop, bit like Penneys (cheap), but their clothes are a bit "funkier". Some of their stuff isn't too bad, kind of like Pull & Bear.
    H&M

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

M&S are takin over the super value store in the corrib shoppning centre.. it'll be smaller than there usual outlets but will stock Food,Clothes and homeware's,,, about time some competition came to galway.

Don't Roches own that SuperValu in the Corrib Centre? So now M&S will be in direct competition with Roches... seems like a bit of an odd move by Roches

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Roches are leasing all their Super Valu units to M&S, which will be run as M&S outlets.

H&M aren't cheap. They're looking for somewhere Shop Street-ish.

M&S and Debs are still going to anchor GSC.

• Advertisement

Buckfast wrote:
    H&M aren't cheap. They're looking for somewhere Shop Street-ish.
    M&S and Debs are still going to anchor GSC.

H&M are relatively cheap. The clothes are mostly/all own brand, but they're fairly decent quality.

M&S opening in the Corrib Centre, spending a hundred thousand/million renovating and redecorating and then being anchor tenants in a shopping centre down the road doesn't seem like a huge amount of sense though... unless they're planning on closing the Corrib Centre one after awhile (seems stupid). Dunnes have managed to open multiple stores in close proximity, but they can't really be put into the same category as M&S. M&S is full of own brand stuff, but it's definetly not cheap; plus Dunnes is established in Galway for years. M&S is likely to be more like a novelty for people... That's my opinion anyway.

Well according to the Retail Impact Assessment for the revamped Galway Shopping Centre, there is more than enough room for M&S in the city to trade competitively and successfully in the city.

I think their plan is to open in Roches and concentrate on groceries (although they will carry clothing lines) to get a foothold on the Galway market, and then wait for the other one to get the go-ahead.

Speaking of Dunnes, I can see serious problems arise for the Westside Shopping Centre, now that the 'City West' development on the Distributor Road got the go-ahead (It was in the City Tribune a couple of months ago). Dunnes are the anchors there too, and I can see them pull out of the Westside ... the new Knocknacarra one will be their flagship outlet in Galway.

Its bout time galway took the rank as one of the best shopping cities out of dublin. was just wondering if you could tell me where ya got the impact statement of the gsc redevelopment

Got a copy from a guy who got it from a guy who presumably got it from the planning application in City Hall.

I should mention too that Kenny Developments are planning their own 19 acre development across from the 'City West' in Knocknacarra (the Kenny one will be behind the blue hoarding thats on the Distributor Road at the moment) — supposedly the owners of Bershka, Zara, River Island etc are interested. It will be bigger than Dundrum Shopping Centre, but around one-third the size of the Galway 'City West'.

Buckfast wrote:
    It will be bigger than Dundrum Shopping Centre, but around one-third the size of the Galway 'City West'.

Isn't Dundrum Shopping Centre the biggest in Europe? I wouldn't have thought Galway would need anything even near that size, especially with all the other development tha't going on (Galway Shopping Centre and the other one in Knocknacarra)... or are you talking about a different Dundrum Shopping Centre? :confused:

• Advertisement

Kenny's Galway (Distributor Road) — 19 acres

New Dundrum shopping centre — 17 acres

Rumbold Galway (Distributor Road, beside Hibernian Insurance) — 52 acres (but that includes residential etc. etc)

New Galway Shopping Centre will only be four times the existing size, so its not really that big in comparison.

does any 1 know whats the delay with m&s takin over supervalue just read in the advertiser there stayin open on a week by week basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Wow, our very own S&M cookies, no need to invite Amz down to visit any more! :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

fozzle wrote:
    Wow, our very own S&M cookies, no need to invite Amz down to visit any more! :p
    And here was me just about to do a daring raid on M&S in Dublin and fill the Panzer full of the biscuity goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

Anymore news on when M&S is opening?

I want to try that chocolate pudding, as seen on their latest adverts, where its topped with cream and warm chocolate goo comes out of the pudding!

J.
    Jammyd wrote:
    does any 1 know whats the delay with m&s takin over supervalue just read in the advertiser there stayin open on a week by week basis.

hey was just wondering had any1 heard anything bout the new city west development and redevelopment of the galway shopping centre if they got there planning permission past an board pleananla and if so when they are gonna start building?

Advertisement