Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway city set to outgrow Cork by 2025

• 03-02-2005 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Looks like cork wont be ireland second city for long.... as the population of galway city is set to out grow the pop of cork city borough by 2025

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Jammyd wrote:
    Looks like cork wont be ireland second city for long.... as the population of galway city is set to out grow the pop of cork city borough by 2025

Links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Evil! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Jammyd wrote:

But it will still be Galway :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is that a call for procreation? I'm up for it. So to speak.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

The electoral divisions are a hoot too, I currently live in Margaret Street, which is behind Chorus, on the south bank of the southern branch of the Lee. My constituency is Cork North Central. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Labour told me that the Margaret Street zoning will be corrected before the next general election, but I'll be long gone by then. You have to wonder what led to gerrymandering on this kind of level.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Ha!!!! Cork city is tiny and has no room for expansion. Hence all the developments in Mahon - Wilton and places like that. Next will be Glanmire and Watergrasshill. Can see it comin. We may get passed out in city pop. size but thats purely because not everything will be in the City. Am i right or horse sh*te?

Nukem wrote:
    Ha!!!! Cork city is tiny and has no room for expansion. Hence all the developments in Mahon - Wilton and places like that. Next will be Glanmire and Watergrasshill. Can see it comin. We may get passed out in city pop. size but thats purely because not everything will be in the City. Am i right or horse sh*te?

Exactly. Places like Ballincollig might as well be in Cork City already!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Population of Cork City Borough has been decreasing for the last few census's (currently about 130000) but the population of the greater city area is about 254000 and estimated to grow to over 300000 within the next 20/25 years. Thats more than the population of Galway County. I wish they would redraw the boundaries its madness like and I am sick of annoying Dubs telling me how small cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

I am sick of annoying Dubs telling me how small cork.

They are so bloody annoying "oh ya i live in Dub 4" them with their tag rugby - pussys meow!!!

dahamsta wrote:
    Is that a call for procreation? I'm up for it. So to speak.

adam

It might be a way of getting more people to come to Cork boards beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

its about time cork got knocked off the second spot.. Galway's a far nicer and friendlier city maybe when its the second city it'll get the credit it deserves... Cork Culture Capital... Ha HA HA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Galway is full of travellers, not that i mind them but they smell of cabage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 phatman

Jammyd wrote:
    its about time cork got knocked off the second spot.. Galway's a far nicer and friendlier city maybe when its the second city it'll get the credit it deserves... Cork Culture Capital... Ha HA HA

Let's get one thing straight; Cork is a city, and deserves to be called so, on all accounts, and always has been considered to be so. Galway is nothing more than a provincial town, which has enjoyed significant growth by it's OWN standards in recent years, and could never pose a threat to Cork's position as second city. Consider both "cities", and by this i mean in the true sense, excluding suburbs. Cork is a wealth of history and architecture, with an extensive city centre area, and surrounding residential areas, and could compete easily on an international stage. Galway consists of a few streets, and a square. Galway is a nice place, don't get me wrong, very atmospheric and pituresque, the volume of tourism is proof enough of this. But Cork is more cultured, simple as that, and really is a city state unto it's own, hence the "People's republic of Cork". As for population, the greater Cork region will be hitting 400 000 by 2025, with the county being well in excess of half a million. See the difference is, Cork city itself has expanded steadily in the past, and the foresight was there to create independant suburbs with identity and their own character, cases in point being Ballincollig, Douglas, Glanmire, I could go on. In Galway, however, all that has occured has been a sprawl of housing estates outwards from the centre, with no proper planning, and insufficient infrastructure. Galway is fast approaching it's critical mass, and I'm afraid a city of it's size just can't sustain much further growth, definitely not on the scale of Cork.
    So those of you in Cork who may be alarmed by this notion, rest assured whatever growth galway experiences bewtween now and then, Cork will experience the sam.e growth manyfold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Theres no way on earth that another city in Ireland is going to replace Cork as the second largest city in Ireland. ;) Get the shovels lads and make way for more buildings!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

phatman wrote:
    Let's get one thing straight; Cork is a city, and deserves to be called so, on all accounts, and always has been considered to be so. Galway is nothing more than a provincial town, which has enjoyed significant growth by it's OWN standards in recent years, and could never pose a threat to Cork's position as second city.QUOTE]

I agree with a lot of what youve said in this post.However, You make cork out to sound like a Modern Cultural and historical mecca. don't get me wrong cork is ireland's second city and i Love visitin the place but Galway is definitely more cultured hence a festival Is going on every month in the city regardless of being culture capital.. And as for being no more than a provincial town why is galway CITY regarded as the fastest growing City in Europe not too mention Ireland.. Limerick city never thought it would be ousted out from being irelands third city and look what happened in the early 90's. Im not saying galway is perfect and as for your statment regarding the large housing estate sprawl i'd have to agree but a lot of development is happenin at the moment in these areas to combat this.. all im saying is If everyone had your attitude of feeling cork is somewhat supperior and under no threat of being surpassed it would meen every other city or town in Ireland wouldn't develop.
    Fat chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

phatman wrote:
    , , Cork city itself has expanded steadily in the past, and the foresight was there to create independant suburbs with identity and their own character, cases in point being Ballincollig, Douglas, Glanmire, I could go on. .

Glanmire and Ballincollig ARE sprawling housing estates with feck all character or identity of their own IMHO ,

If there had been any foresight (something that I always presumed was carefully weeded out of any prospective civil servants in the county's planning depts) then Glanmire might have had some character or even be pleasant place to live , instead they allowed already wealthy property developers to ruin what natural environment there was, and make sure there was inadequate recreational facilities, parks, schools, shops and public transport etc. to make them pleasant places to live.

Glanmire could be a lovely spot, but no one has invested any money in making the estuary a place people might want to visit, instead they've decided that the entrance to Glanmire could be improved by building a few hundred more houses on the only interesting bit of scenery in the area ensuring it will be ruined for all enternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

In all fairness Joe Gavin deserves some amount of credit for the work he has done with this city. Read through the Cork area strategy and it is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I read the same thing on the limerick board but its just Limerick and Cork need to extend the city borders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 loqi

ok this is an interesting post , seeing as I moved from galway to cork not so long ago , livin in cobh to be away from the city for a while but moving into cork city asap now. Galway is a sprawling ****hole , in my opinion. ****hole what? you may think. ahh yes , let me explain , you see , its a festering wound on this island , over run with by the worst type of people......middle class. Its just expanding with ropey houses , and ropey estates , and the CBD , which you could literally cover the length of with a stone-throw , by the right person , is a single street. its a shambles they call it a city , its a town , perhaps its conveniant to call it a city , to gain certain permissions to build estates , at any rate , the middle class are slowly taking away all the positive things about galway. The architecture is rubbish , drab rubbish. I think the old buildings in Cork are far more beautiful than 99.9% of the **** in Galway. They tried to ban busking in galway , and are still trying. thats a load of ****. and if you live there , it gets old quick. its -DEVOID- of culture besides local artists , who are slowly being told to **** off by the new regime of money orientated assholes, trust me , cork is where its at as far as Ireland goes. Its even much warmer than galway. I dread what galway will become. a capital of culture? ...not likely , unless new people take the reigns and drassssstically change course , and level knocknacarra. their should be an equal progression between city amenities , and estates....in galway its just houses houses houses houses houses houses. oh , and these satelite holes , such as knocknacarra , or even oranmore (not fair to compare oranmore to knocknacarra....) are gaining an extra vision here , or a bowling alley there. just middle class amenities to profit off from the ever increasing populace of plebs. hardly progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

ah sure calm down there logi la.

Such an assault, houses houses houses, Cork not have them then?

well , thats kind of a redundant statement. but ill address it anyways. yes cork does have them , obviously not in a mundane a fashion as galway , as i implied. the point anyways , is cork has a city to serve the houses houses houses , galway has shopstreet. and a thriving bowling industry. theres just one decent place to rent non blockbuster movies. and its friggin tiny , tho not to descredit it , but we are talking about the growth of cities here , and their cultural amenities , and galways growth is cancerous. heavily growing in the wrrrrong way , with nothing to show for it but more people. like i said , with the ropey punters in charge , and the only culture there is being driven out. man , the pub is the place for redunt statements , it would be better to develop your points here , or maybe read others fully before weakly retorting. what are you stupid? cant you look at things objectively without thinking 'ahh galway is in ireland , galway must be nice , no criticism , no'...i mean i have a valid point here. i guess you are one of the plebs workin in boston scientific , buying goodfellas pizzas , and watching some ****e blockbuster wants you to watch. the english market blows away any other market i've come across in ireland , and its DAILY!...i mean , the market in galway is sweet , but they pale pale PALE in comparison to the pros in the english market, plus i find the people in cork have a wholesome friendliness devoid in galway , tho galway has a different kind of , drunk friendliness. i walked into the english market , and didnt have change for some food i was buyin , and the woman said i could pay her the next time she saw me , the next day i tried to pay her and she wouldnt take it. that , my friend , i guarantee , will never happen in galway , the aforementioned middle class cancer , on the west breast of roisin.

i want to love Galway , but its going through hell now. if you were from there , you would know. maybe you are , but you might be blind....or just on a different wavelength to me. i think its a vulgar way to run a town. to concentrate on profit before integrity or culture , or anything else for that matter. its just going to be a giant estate , with a load of bull**** shops dotted around it , and anything thats not a franchise well charge you up the hole because suddenly they are an UPMARKET establishment , and feel they can. and are told to , infact.

viva the peoples republic , the most vibrant , promising city in ireland which i would gladly promote, due largely to its tendency to embrace the arts. and its staunch look , which miraculously still looks like ireland. an ireland i dont feel disgusted to look at.

logi:

I lived in Galway for the 20 odd years of my life and have never set foot in Boston Scientific, I am not a "pleb" nor am I "stupid". I haven't had a goodfellas pizza in a long time, but may choose to do so this evening. Furthermore the beauty of boards.ie, as you may learn is that I can retort ever so weakly if I choose or I can write paragraph after paragraph of weak-minded abuse or I can debate the topic in an adult fashion without resorting to personal abuse. I do not wish to go down the route of "my town is better than yours", suffice to say I have no problem with Cork. I do have a problem with your sweeping generalisations on Galway.

I like the place, but then again most people do have a slight bias when it comes to their hometown. (Imagine Dubliners actually like Dublin!) It is growing at a phenomenal pace, and some of the decisions made have been poor ones, but hey as a nation we are not renowned for our planning skills. Also to say the place is devoid of culture is insane.

Finally how are houses in Cork so much more exciting the those silly mundane ones we have here in Dublin, or the ones in Galway or where-ever. On with your ranting logi.

Watch out for those middle class people, they'll get you in the end.

ok , i didnt make it very clear in my initial post , i've lived in galway for 22 odd years. i was born there , lived in the city. not a rural area on the outskirts , no , i was there to see it all , the good and bad. my point is valid because im from there. the city in question. i've lived in two other major european cities , for extended periods , and i despise dublin. so i have a reasonable understanding of whats possible if the priorities are set. im interested in what you might call culture , so please respond. off the top of my head , i can think of the townhall...the taibhearc , kennys gallery.....all weak offerings into the foray , in my opinion. EEEEEEspecially for the fastest growing city in europe , mari-ya. the buildings in cork are , simply put , old. they possess character. the buildings in galway are cheap & modern , the tacky kind of modern , bland looking yokes , that will never look appealing in any decade. heh , its obvious to me im talking to a brick wall here when all you can do is jape rather than address. drive through oranmore and check out the estate painted entirely , in unfading , relentless SALMON PINK. is this the world you want to live in man? are you so stupified by conveniance that you cant find fault in the abhorrent , and steadily growing , status quo of consumption and consumers? oh ya i love galway im from galway , galway can do no wrong. if you loved galway you would open your eyes to its faults and address them....even acknowledging these faults is enough , enough people acknowledge something , and change will occur. but if your happy in that world , as it chokes the earth beneath you , go for it. im happy in cork. and much happier just breezing through galway when and as i feel like it. all galway has to offer me , a concious adult , is the people i know , and the friendly tourists. anyways , this all springs from the point that Galway is growing and will be massive , i just want to cast light on the facts a touch. i CARE about this planet , and thus this land we live on...do you understand that? more bull**** pink houses and bowling alleys = bad. for the love of god , if your going to build something , build something righteous , useful , or inspiring.

heh , i like the way you said "pleb" and "stupid"......can you say "contrived" ?

ok , i've got to go. i'll be sure to wipe my hole with something maroon later on , after a good s h 1 t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Why is it important? If you want to be pedantic about it Belfast has over 700,000 people in it.

You are talking to a brick wall, a salmon pink one. I never ever said it was perfect, I just like the place. There is a giant Galway sized chip on your shoulder for some reason.

Enough of your baiting I am off to breeze through life the ignorant consumer that I am. Sure I don't give two sh*tes about this planet, all I want is to be the king of convenience.... now wheres my goodfellas pizza?

Can you say Capital letters? Jeez I am so on the verge of a rant.

what an amazingly accurate nickname

lol , a chip on my shoulder for some reason?....lol , havent you read my previous posts. theres your reason. fu.ck's sake.

muppet.jpg

I can write paragraph after paragraph
    Unlike loqi, who doesn't appear to understand the concept. Or the concept of capital letters. Or punctuation, grammer, and quite possibly the majority of the english language. He certainly didn't understand my sig, which imho makes it quite clear that I'm looking for an apartment in Cork city, and not the incomprehensible and stunningly dull life history and social outlook of someone looking for a house share partner.

The word "duh" springs to mind.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

ooh, BURN! :eek:

hows about checking the echo , or daft.ie you retard....what do you expect people to do , check it for you ?

hehe , well what have we here...it seems i've ruffled the feathers of a couple of homosexuals ,.....if you want to be pedantic , and completely ignore the points raised , and concentrate on semantics....well then you should at least adhere to your own criteria.

Unlike loqi, who doesn't appear to understand the concept. Or the concept of capital letters.

what are you rambling on about.

oh , and its grammar , not gramer.

and no , your signature does not convey an obvious message. what is obvious in this world , is that if you are looking for an apartment , you would check with the appropriate agencies , and publications. i dont think its incomprehensible to conclude you were looking for a house share partner, on the contrary , you're the idiot for looking for a premises in such a manner. you big girl.

.... can't seem to find the edit button either.

• Advertisement

as if your internet sisters can hook you up , laughable. i didnt realise this forum was an ego massage parlour , i'll leave you girls to it.

ha! you mock my message board ineptitude , as if thats a bad thing. what geeks you homos are , when it comes to an issue you concentrate on the most trite of clerical errors.

anyways , for real this time , adios. and enjoy winking at each other , and setting up little in gags for yourselves.

losers.

:D;):p:) :rolleyes: home :o :mad: oz :( :eek: :confused:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defense rests.

it would be more accurate for the prosecution to rest , seeing as i tried to stick to the topic , where'as you and your boyfriend just badgered my typing skills , or lack thereof, heh...and its just the typical kind of one liner you losers make , to goad the other homo into saying 'heh'

heh!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Dear lord, I'd never realised Ireland had its own Nickolaus Pacione. All the signs are there, a poor (at best) comprehension of the generally accepted rules of the English language coupled with homosexual slurs on anyone who disagrees with him.

I could address certain points of his (for example, the prevalence of crappy modern housing in areas outside Cork city, or the haphazard planning of roadworks that means the city's already congested road system is even more clogged, or the sparseness of open green space within the city - and don't tell me the Peace Park, it's dirty and crowded and host to a variety of scumbags who have tried to rob me before -), but there's no real point is there?

I like Galway and I go there often. I like it because it's on the coastand it has a good vibe. Something about the architechture, the location and the layout appeals to me that Cork lacks. But I don't live there, so I "couldn't understand" how actually there's nothing good about Galway. Although of course loqi is still utterly entitled to state that aspects of Cork are great which those of us living here might decry. Because, you know, he's the authoritáh on everything. No, really. He's certainly not a jumped up little tosser with an inability to accept that, phrased slightly differently, this could have been an interesting discussion of people's differing perceptions of Cork and Galway.

I'm just a winking homo though, what would I know?

I'm a homosexual, and loqi is a coherent, balanced, mature individual that everyone likes and respects.

I think I may have just "inned" myself.

adam

well thank you fysh for addressing the points i made. thats all i wanted. and no the homosexual slurring isnt intended for people i disagree with , just dahamsta and the other one , bringitdown , because basically they act like pubescent girls , or a couple of homos

(for example, the prevalence of crappy modern housing in areas outside Cork city, or the haphazard planning of roadworks that means the city's already congested road system is even more clogged, or the sparseness of open green space within the city - and don't tell me the Peace Park, it's dirty and crowded and host to a variety of scumbags who have tried to rob me before -)

well like i said before , you have the city of cork to service those crap housing areas. my point is that there is no city in galway , just a tiny tiny town , with a cancer growing on it. and as for the haphazard roadworks in cork , its not a patch on what eyresquare looks like now. and considering the minute size of galways CBD , it caused mayhem. as for the sparseness of open green space within the city , well....wrong again assmunch , galway once again takes the anti-biscuit for that one. you ungrateful prick , theres nothing like fitzgerald park in galway town. hehe , and as for peacepark and the thugs , well shame on you for believing galway is safe , just because you havent been mugged there yet , for all the time you've spent in it.

all my points still stand , you were getting close tho, fysh. well done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement