Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway city set to outgrow Cork by 2025

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

You are talking to a brick wall, a salmon pink one. I never ever said it was perfect, I just like the place. There is a giant Galway sized chip on your shoulder for some reason.

Enough of your baiting I am off to breeze through life the ignorant consumer that I am. Sure I don't give two sh*tes about this planet, all I want is to be the king of convenience.... now wheres my goodfellas pizza?

Can you say Capital letters? Jeez I am so on the verge of a rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 loqi

what an amazingly accurate nickname

lol , a chip on my shoulder for some reason?....lol , havent you read my previous posts. theres your reason. fu.ck's sake.

muppet.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I can write paragraph after paragraph
    Unlike loqi, who doesn't appear to understand the concept. Or the concept of capital letters. Or punctuation, grammer, and quite possibly the majority of the english language. He certainly didn't understand my sig, which imho makes it quite clear that I'm looking for an apartment in Cork city, and not the incomprehensible and stunningly dull life history and social outlook of someone looking for a house share partner.

The word "duh" springs to mind.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

ooh, BURN! :eek:

hows about checking the echo , or daft.ie you retard....what do you expect people to do , check it for you ?

hehe , well what have we here...it seems i've ruffled the feathers of a couple of homosexuals ,.....if you want to be pedantic , and completely ignore the points raised , and concentrate on semantics....well then you should at least adhere to your own criteria.

Unlike loqi, who doesn't appear to understand the concept. Or the concept of capital letters.

what are you rambling on about.

oh , and its grammar , not gramer.

and no , your signature does not convey an obvious message. what is obvious in this world , is that if you are looking for an apartment , you would check with the appropriate agencies , and publications. i dont think its incomprehensible to conclude you were looking for a house share partner, on the contrary , you're the idiot for looking for a premises in such a manner. you big girl.

.... can't seem to find the edit button either.

• Advertisement

as if your internet sisters can hook you up , laughable. i didnt realise this forum was an ego massage parlour , i'll leave you girls to it.

ha! you mock my message board ineptitude , as if thats a bad thing. what geeks you homos are , when it comes to an issue you concentrate on the most trite of clerical errors.

anyways , for real this time , adios. and enjoy winking at each other , and setting up little in gags for yourselves.

losers.

:D;):p:) :rolleyes: home :o :mad: oz :( :eek: :confused:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defense rests.

it would be more accurate for the prosecution to rest , seeing as i tried to stick to the topic , where'as you and your boyfriend just badgered my typing skills , or lack thereof, heh...and its just the typical kind of one liner you losers make , to goad the other homo into saying 'heh'

heh!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Dear lord, I'd never realised Ireland had its own Nickolaus Pacione. All the signs are there, a poor (at best) comprehension of the generally accepted rules of the English language coupled with homosexual slurs on anyone who disagrees with him.

I could address certain points of his (for example, the prevalence of crappy modern housing in areas outside Cork city, or the haphazard planning of roadworks that means the city's already congested road system is even more clogged, or the sparseness of open green space within the city - and don't tell me the Peace Park, it's dirty and crowded and host to a variety of scumbags who have tried to rob me before -), but there's no real point is there?

I like Galway and I go there often. I like it because it's on the coastand it has a good vibe. Something about the architechture, the location and the layout appeals to me that Cork lacks. But I don't live there, so I "couldn't understand" how actually there's nothing good about Galway. Although of course loqi is still utterly entitled to state that aspects of Cork are great which those of us living here might decry. Because, you know, he's the authoritáh on everything. No, really. He's certainly not a jumped up little tosser with an inability to accept that, phrased slightly differently, this could have been an interesting discussion of people's differing perceptions of Cork and Galway.

I'm just a winking homo though, what would I know?

I'm a homosexual, and loqi is a coherent, balanced, mature individual that everyone likes and respects.

I think I may have just "inned" myself.

adam

well thank you fysh for addressing the points i made. thats all i wanted. and no the homosexual slurring isnt intended for people i disagree with , just dahamsta and the other one , bringitdown , because basically they act like pubescent girls , or a couple of homos

(for example, the prevalence of crappy modern housing in areas outside Cork city, or the haphazard planning of roadworks that means the city's already congested road system is even more clogged, or the sparseness of open green space within the city - and don't tell me the Peace Park, it's dirty and crowded and host to a variety of scumbags who have tried to rob me before -)

well like i said before , you have the city of cork to service those crap housing areas. my point is that there is no city in galway , just a tiny tiny town , with a cancer growing on it. and as for the haphazard roadworks in cork , its not a patch on what eyresquare looks like now. and considering the minute size of galways CBD , it caused mayhem. as for the sparseness of open green space within the city , well....wrong again assmunch , galway once again takes the anti-biscuit for that one. you ungrateful prick , theres nothing like fitzgerald park in galway town. hehe , and as for peacepark and the thugs , well shame on you for believing galway is safe , just because you havent been mugged there yet , for all the time you've spent in it.

all my points still stand , you were getting close tho, fysh. well done.

• Advertisement

is there a translator who can speak homosexualese ? you morons , why dont you digest the point , for the friggin 4th time , both places have crap houses. one place has a city to service the crap houses , the other just has crap houses , upon crap houses , punctuated with xtravisions.

oh ya , and i meant to ask...jimmy/jammy whatever your name was...what festivals are you talking about?....a couple of border line down syndromes reading john steinback in bananaphoblact is hardly a literary festival.

oh! oh! and! tho , in all honesty im not sure what ticket prices are like here , but during the galway arts festival (which has lost all its charm and taste - thanks guinness [now owned by some italian business people , but it was never irish anyways so...]), its extortionate. its certainly not a festival for the poor , and even people under your average salary will find it quite a sting to the pocket , like 40 euros on average , to see one show. what are you supposed to do if you are poor , on the dole , or a student ?.....what a mockery , tho if you say its the same in cork , then it would be a mockery here too. i usually volunteer , thats my cheap ticket in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

loqi wrote:
    well like i said before , you have the city of cork to service those crap housing areas. my point is that there is no city in galway , just a tiny tiny town , with a cancer growing on it.

Not true. Galway and Cork in terms of size are actually not that different. Although Cork has more urban sprawl without actually reaping any benefit from this.
    loqi wrote:
    and as for the haphazard roadworks in cork , its not a patch on what eyresquare looks like now. and considering the minute size of galways CBD , it caused mayhem.

I've lived in cork 3 years now, and in the time I've lived here there has always been some form of roadworks in the city centre. Believe me, the current state of Eyre square doesn't compare. If you want to try that analogy you'll have to hope that Cork's roadworks finish soon and then wait for the Eyre square reformation to drag its heels for 2 and a half years.
    loqi wrote:
    as for the sparseness of open green space within the city , well....wrong again assmunch , galway once again takes the anti-biscuit for that one. you ungrateful prick , theres nothing like fitzgerald park in galway town. hehe , and as for peacepark and the thugs , well shame on you for believing galway is safe , just because you havent been mugged there yet , for all the time you've spent in it.

I've had people try to mug me in summer in the middle of the day with security guards present in the peace park. Not happened yet in Galway, nor even come close. I think the nearest I've had to someone attacking me in Galway was a nasty comment about my hat walking home from a late show at the cinema once. Hardly the stuff of which urban legends are born.

As for Fitzgeral park - it's further from the city centre than the green space by the river is in Galway. Plus the fact that there's often scumbags hanging around near the back drinking on the weekend. And before you say the Lee fields, there's the walk towards Salt Hill in Galway on the beach, at a comparable distance but offering better views.
    loqi wrote:
    all my points still stand , you were getting close tho, fysh. well done.

Your points still stand if you're starting from the point that Galway is inherently inferior to Cork, maybe. And you were getting close to a full post without needlessly insulting someone - well done.

well people reap what they sow , its true. anyways , it seems like a stalemate to me then , its just hear-say this and that. i think you could not be any more incorrect on just one issue tho

'Not true. Galway and Cork in terms of size are actually not that different. Although Cork has more urban sprawl without actually reaping any benefit from this.'

well , i'm interested in what and how you might think housing sprawl can be of benefit , anywhere...Perhaps in a consumer sense, it obviously means more punters...anyways its not a major point of concern. urban sprawl is something that has to be dealt with as opposed to be of benefit, in my opinion , and cork has more to offer in those terms than galway. Its funny because i can envision the entire layout of galway as I think about this , and...well , you are wrong.

in addition , it would be preferable if you looked at this topic in terms of living there permanently , or being a galwegian. not a tourist , or a happy weekender , those people always see the roses , and rarely entertain the realistic fact that its also supposed to be a permanent living environ.

the nice walk on the prom pales in insignificance to the lack of any culture. REAL culture , not 'here for the weekend' culture. theres no culture promotion , just a stale reselling of the same **** , to gormless punters....no disrespect to them , or even the transaction of positive vibes , but thats not what I thought this topic was about.

perhaps I'll find the negative things you want to put across to me about Cork , but the points I make about Galway are not only relevant in a Cork/Galway comparison debate. I've seen much worse and much better having lived in barcelona , perhaps a mugging attempt is a raw nerve for you , but I expected it to happen to me already here in Cork , but it hasnt yet. At any rate I'm prepared for it and know what I'll do. I wont think any less of Cork for that reason , as its not an epidemic unique to Cork , by any stretch of the imagination.

from what i can gather of your value system , im not surprised people try to mug you. look at you , whimpering about it now - as if its viable news. neither cork , or galway has seen a trend of daily day-light stabbings on the street , but any large city in this world of consumerism faces that. neither cork or galway are large, in my opinion, but cork is bigger than galway - in terms of a CBD which is the main factor of concern , in my opinion - then the sprawl. Cork also promotes much more current cultural events. it seems like its an integral function of cork , thats how smoothly it seems to operate. Galway as a whole has nothing like that , like i said. nothing but the superficial things to entertain you for a few days , as a difference to your usual environment. this is obviously not good enough for anyone with their head in the clouds , entrtaining such thoughts of the arts. indeed , those people are being slowly told to leave and make way , because the new populace of moronic middle classes either dont like it , because a busker on the street cant be allowed to make a living like that , he needs to do what the rest of the morons have signed themselves up for. get a job in a franchise , get a house , pay the bills , buy the pizzas , go to the cinema , go bowling....oh....and...what else? its a **** environ at the moment , and its just promoting segregation and profiteering. maybe thats ok with dahamsta , i certainly think it is , and you too. its not ok with me tho , and with all of corks flaws , theres still a fertile ground to maintain at least the cultivation and promotion of the arts. and the colleges here are ten times better than anything on offer in galway , hopefully that will change. but , doubtful , we'll get some IT related ****holes im sure.

loqi wrote:
    the nice walk on the prom pales in insignificance to the lack of any culture. REAL culture , not 'here for the weekend' culture. theres no culture promotion , just a stale reselling of the same **** , to gormless punters....no disrespect to them , or even the transaction of positive vibes , but thats not what I thought this topic was about.

Because of course, Cork has arseloads of culture. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, there's things happening here that I like and appreciate, but don't you think it telling that, even though we're in the middle of the Capital of Culture year, the most interesting thing to happen after the opening event is the Where's Me Culture party - organised by people who thought the official organisers weren't doing anything to cater to the average Cork person? Isn't it a statement that there won't be anything big until the Patrick's Day parade, which grinds the city to a halt every year anyway? It seems to be a regional hobby to bang on about how much cultcher we've got lately, but there's just not that much more going on here than in Galway in terms of things to do and see. As other threads on this board testify, there's not that much you can do in Cork city if you don't want to drink, and even then the places you can go are of the "as well as drinking you can do <insert activity here>" type.

I just don't get how you can be so adamant that Galway has no culture and Cork has loads. From what I've seen, there's not that much difference between the two places.
    loqi wrote:
    perhaps I'll find the negative things you want to put across to me about Cork , but the points I make about Galway are not only relevant in a Cork/Galway comparison debate. I've seen much worse and much better having lived in barcelona

As have I having lived in Oxford, London, and various parts of Malaga. Galway just isn't as bad as you're trying to make out. If you want examples of places that match your description of Galway, go check out Fuengirola or Mijas in the south of spain - those are places obsessed with tourists and devoid of any cultural merit. Galway (and Cork, for that matter) would have to try very hard to compete with them in terms of brainlessness.
    loqi wrote:
    from what i can gather of your value system , im not surprised people try to mug you. look at you , whimpering about it now - as if its viable news. neither cork , or galway has seen a trend of daily day-light stabbings on the street , but any large city in this world of consumerism faces that. neither cork or galway are large, in my opinion, but cork is bigger than galway - in terms of a CBD which is the main factor of concern , in my opinion - then the sprawl.

Yes, well done. I find it objectionable for some scumbag to try and mug me, therefore I deserve to be mugged, or at least ask for it. Do you also go round telling rape victims they asked for it by wearing short skirts?

I've lived in various cities, bigger and smaller than Cork. This is the only place anyone's ever tried to mug me. I haven't turned into an agoraphobic recluse because of it, contrary to your suggestion (though no doubt the fact that I remember something as unremarkable as someone trying to mug me makes me a homo in your book :rolleyes:) - I just don't see the point in glossing over an unpleasant experience I've had here just because some other retard is trying to convince me that this is the best place in the world.
    loqi wrote:
    Cork also promotes much more current cultural events. it seems like its an integral function of cork , thats how smoothly it seems to operate. Galway as a whole has nothing like that , like i said. nothing but the superficial things to entertain you for a few days , as a difference to your usual environment. this is obviously not good enough for anyone with their head in the clouds , entrtaining such thoughts of the arts. indeed , those people are being slowly told to leave and make way

Bollocks. I don't know whether the hype about the capital of culture is fooling you here or what, but in the time I've lived here I've been constantly disappointed that a city with 2 big colleges has so little going on, culturally speaking. Not that Galway is necessarily any better - I haven't lived there so I can't say for definite. But your comments about Cork are on a par with the Cork2005 website in terms of curious misrepresentation of the truth.
    loqi wrote:
    because the new populace of moronic middle classes either dont like it , because a busker on the street cant be allowed to make a living like that , he needs to do what the rest of the morons have signed themselves up for. get a job in a franchise , get a house , pay the bills , buy the pizzas , go to the cinema , go bowling....oh....and...what else? its a **** environ at the moment , and its just promoting segregation and profiteering. maybe thats ok with dahamsta , i certainly think it is , and you too. its not ok with me tho , and with all of corks flaws , theres still a fertile ground to maintain at least the cultivation and promotion of the arts. and the colleges here are ten times better than anything on offer in galway , hopefully that will change. but , doubtful , we'll get some IT related ****holes im sure.

So you think the development around Cork is great because the houses "look nice", but you hate the people who are moving to Galway? Newsflash - who do you think Cork is trying to attract with all the new housing developments? People with no money? Cork is looking to attract middleclass people who can be relied on to pay the mortgage on time and keep up appearances.

Your assesment of the colleges, from personal experience there, sounds frankly uninformed. They're far from awful, but the only interest that seems to be popular amongst students here is getting trashed. Not unique to Cork, but certainly not exactly a shining contribution to culture in the city. Although I must admit that UCC getting the Glucksman gallery sorted is a positive thing, I still wonder how much use is made of it by the people who walk past it every day when they head to lectures.

To give another example about the difference between cork and galway in terms of maintaining a diversity of culture and activities. As can be seen from my sig, I do capoeira, a Brazilian martial art. We have had a group running in cork for about a year or so, but we have often found it hard to get people to come to the classes despite everyone involved putting in a lot of time to promote it around the place. In galway, there are two groups teaching capoeira. Which typefies a large part of my experience of Cork sadly - A lot of talk about how diverse the city is, but at the end of the day not much support for cultural diversity and variety, because ultimately a lot of the people living here just aren't interested.

culture is in the eye of the beholder , i cant convince you to see what you can not see. i think its interesting that you noted the 'wheres me culture' event. thats the kind of thing lacking in galway. nothing like that in galway , when our arts festival alienates its audience. so good on them , the wheres me culture crowd that is. were you in salou , spain? you might as well be in birmingham. but lets not involve these , semi-unique places , to get no where. they are not a glimpse of corks future , or galways (neither have the sun nor the beaches nor the cheap booze - isnt that why muc punters end up in those unique places?). i think the line up for the year of culture is bull**** , personally. so i agree with you , last time i looked at the line up , i dont think anything interested me until october. anyways , in a way i completely agree with you - i love galway more now , that its a drive away. and that my daily environ is cork. i dont hate the people moving there , i hate the middle class everywhere , i hate the wanton damage they cause in every capitalist city around the globe. i hate the assholes they keep in power , and i hate the status quo they maintain and that we live in , ultimately for their conveniance; there just happens to be a higher percentage of them in galway and the small town which once embraced the arts , is now just becoming a shallow service station. heh , as for the caiporea groups in galway , you said there was two , well , at least one of them is terrible - perhaps by 2025 the members will have picked it up a little. i think you need to be devoted for capoeira , and the people i saw were not that. i could smell the hobbiests amongst them. yayaya , im no capoeira expert so ill shut my beak. but i know when someone is for real , or just filling time. plus , on the continent of europe i seen quite a few capoeira groups , and they were good. they were truely involved in the art. anyways , enough group assassination. but you drew the point , and i have an opinion on it. i think you are fool-hardy to complain about boozing and its inextricable link to any event in ireland. however , in the pubs of cork , there is much -more- original and diverse music going on. in galway your choice is seriously limited. and repeats every week. the best craic to be had in galway is at house parties , something that doesnt , off the mark , seem as popular here - at least to the same extent as galway. in galway you have the roisin dobh , the sole representative of live music in galway. nearly every pub in cork , is the roisin dubh in terms of ideals. give me some slack on that comment please, before you tell me about some ****hole pub you know of. off the top of my head , horace andy played here , so did the skatalites the following nite , damo suzuki is coming in a week or so , burning spear will be playing in kinsale , theres going to be a jerk festival around the same time. a jerk festival is a jamaican , well....party. lots of traditional food and music and dancing. none of those things are happening because of cork's title this year , these are just the things that go on here. if you love music , then why would it bother you that the gig is in a pub? its not like the booze in the air is muffling the sound or anything. and i know what its like to be at these gigs without buying pints , as they are too fecking expensive. and its not worth the cost , to become momentarily stupid and semi-paralysed. man , there is so much more going on here....you obviously just dont have an interest in it , and well , no amount of diatribe is going to convince you so i will desist. the rape victim analogy was contrived , but then , i believe that every 'regular' on a message board has to be contrived by definition. so heres what it calls for :rolleyes: . my point was that you were being a big girl about it , recalling it as you did. its a sad fact of life in the city , you should know that by now. its not a strong point in any debate , unless its spectacularly frequent , or violent etc. anyways , the scumbags in galway arent as empoverished as they are bitter. so a mugging is something you will be lucky to receive , should you be unfortunate enough to meet some. maybe you can show them one of your dances. now , the ucc is not a college , to begin with. so i wasnt considering it. im talking about crawford , staofan naoifa , st johns. they trounce on their galway counter-parts in terms of being up-to-date, course depth and facility and lecturers, ive been in all of them. i dont know how ucc and nuig fare against one another tho , and i certainly dont care. both are cultural black holes , in my opinion , you were right to note that. tho it was no surprise... i generally dont expect culture from a university. and another thing to note , i dont care what the students do with their free time , that doesnt mean there is any less culture available to them , in the colleges i mentioned. we are of course speaking of people who are SEEKING culture , perhaps you would like it fed to you , through a straw. its getting more and more obvious to me that that is the case with you. and on the god damn mother****ing housing issue , for the 6th , or maybe 7th time - both places suffer from it yes i know i said so , but , like i said , cork has a mother****ing city to deal with it , where galway does not. you thick gob****e ...i wouldnt mind if you were a different person rehashing the same point , but its the second time its been explained to you , and you say the same thing again. jesus... if you want to debunk my point , do so. my point was never that cork has no middle classes , or housing sprawl. now assuming you may tell me that cork cant cope with the sprawl , i will tell you galway can cope even less so. and i wont be wrong. at least , as i said , cork city has something positive going on , amongst the madness. please dont repeat anything thats been said. because that means i'll have to repeat myself. mongjaw. :mad: you spent too much time under your mammies wing , and up your own hole to know anything from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Paragraphs are nice.

I like paragraphs.

They make long text easier to read.

Hurrah for paragraphs!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement