Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway city set to outgrow Cork by 2025

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My eyes, my eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 loqi

dahamsta , you removed your signature? has someone else done the legwork for you then? one of your net sisters go through the obvious avenues for you? and if you are serious about your career in IT , i would disassociate from joe hurley , a ****ing amateur at best.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Since it ended up too long, I give you...PART I:
    loqi wrote:
    culture is in the eye of the beholder , i cant convince you to see what you can not see. i think its interesting that you noted the 'wheres me culture' event. thats the kind of thing lacking in galway. nothing like that in galway , when our arts festival alienates its audience. so good on them , the wheres me culture crowd that is.

So it's in the eye of the beholder, but Galway doesn't have any. I'm apparently being a fool for not seeing how great Cork's culture is, but on the basis of your opinion there's no way Galway can have anything like it. No scope or possibility that maybe you just don't know about it, it's just not there? Wow, that's great. Actually discussing this with you is really worthwhile. It's so nice to talk to someone who's willing to concede that their points make no sense.

Oh, wait a sec...
    loqi wrote:
    i dont hate the people moving there , i hate the middle class everywhere , i hate the wanton damage they cause in every capitalist city around the globe. i hate the assholes they keep in power , and i hate the status quo they maintain and that we live in , ultimately for their conveniance; there just happens to be a higher percentage of them in galway and the small town which once embraced the arts , is now just becoming a shallow service station.

Okaaaay....not really sure where that came from, but, you know, whatever. Hey, if you want to join the Cork Armchair Revolutionaries group or whatever, don't let us stop you.
    loqi wrote:
    heh , as for the caiporea groups in galway , you said there was two , well , at least one of them is terrible - perhaps by 2025 the members will have picked it up a little. i think you need to be devoted for capoeira , and the people i saw were not that. i could smell the hobbiests amongst them. yayaya , im no capoeira expert so ill shut my beak. but i know when someone is for real , or just filling time. plus , on the continent of europe i seen quite a few capoeira groups , and they were good. they were truely involved in the art. anyways , enough group assassination. but you drew the point , and i have an opinion on it.

WTF? So you're not a capoeira expert and yet you consider yourself to know enough about it to criticise people taking classes in it? Yeah, that works. Any group anywhere that's open to beginners will have some people like you described and guess what - it happens in any martial art, not just capoeira. The groups you've seen on the continent usually pick their best members to put on public displays to raise awareness and cash - I know that in France and Spain at least they go around the promenades where tourists eat at night and basically do a capoeira equivalent of busking. I just find it hilarious that someone who admits to not being a capoerista has the gall to make sweeping statements about whole capoeira groups.
    loqi wrote:
    i think you are fool-hardy to complain about boozing and its inextricable link to any event in ireland. however , in the pubs of cork , there is much -more- original and diverse music going on. in galway your choice is seriously limited. and repeats every week. the best craic to be had in galway is at house parties , something that doesnt , off the mark , seem as popular here - at least to the same extent as galway. in galway you have the roisin dobh , the sole representative of live music in galway. nearly every pub in cork , is the roisin dubh in terms of ideals. give me some slack on that comment please, before you tell me about some ****hole pub you know of. off the top of my head , horace andy played here , so did the skatalites the following nite , damo suzuki is coming in a week or so , burning spear will be playing in kinsale

NO WAY! We had, like. bands and stuff??? OMG how cool are we, like!? "Every pub in cork is the roisin dubh in terms of ideals?" HAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I could answer your points in more concrete terms, but ...HAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*wipes tear from eye*

There's about 6 pubs in the city that regularly put on bands and are worth going near. And it's not that common that the bands coming will be worth watching. Beyond that....feh. I've been resigned to having to travel for concerts that I'm interested in long before I moved here, and it doesn't really bother me. I'd be more keen on the local live scene if the bands playing in it interested me, but none of them do.

As for gigs in pubs, it bothers me because every time I've been to a gig in the pub there's been other obnoxious twats getting pissed who fall over the place or spill their drinks on you or keep shoving past you to get to/from the bar so they can carry on getting tanked. If I'm there to see the band, I don't particularly want to have to put up with that kind of crap. I know it happens in "proper" venues too, but how much worse is it when the stage is about 3 metres from the bar?
    loqi wrote:
    my point was that you were being a big girl about it , recalling it as you did. its a sad fact of life in the city , you should know that by now. its not a strong point in any debate , unless its spectacularly frequent , or violent etc. anyways , the scumbags in galway arent as empoverished as they are bitter.

I couldn't give a rat's ass that you think you should expect to be mugged for the "privilege" of living in a big city (HAH!) like Cork. It's not something I'm prepared to tolerate and as such it's a negative part of my experience in Cork. The fact that you think it's "manly" to not notice such things really doesn't concern me.
    loqi wrote:
    so a mugging is something you will be lucky to receive , should you be unfortunate enough to meet some. maybe you can show them one of your dances. now , the ucc is not a college , to begin with.

Which is why, presumably, the name is "University COLLEGE Cork"? Godo, glad we could clear that up.
    loqi wrote:
    both are cultural black holes , in my opinion , you were right to note that. tho it was no surprise... i generally dont expect culture from a university. and another thing to note , i dont care what the students do with their free time , that doesnt mean there is any less culture available to them , in the colleges i mentioned.

Well, that's a load of crap. Having been to university in the UK there's generally a lot more going on - Film Societies that do more than just rent the latest blockbuster DVD so that you can see it on the cheap, Music Societies that invite composers along, Theatre groups that foster and encourage local talent, to name but a few. The only thing I saw in UCC that was worthwhile on such a scale was WarpCon, but since I'm not a LARPer/Roleplayer/Wargamer it doesn't really have much for me. What I'm surprised at is that none of the other societies seem to try for something on the same scale. (Oh, and before you say "well, galway doesn't even have a WarpCon", they've got Itzacon coming up next weekend which is looking to be essentially the same thing).

The reason I mentioned the students is because if none of them are interested in cultural pastimes, then obviously there's not going to be that much going on. When I was in college in the UK, term-time was far busier than the holidays because such a large fraction of the cultural events were either organised by or targeted at students. In Cork it's completely different. (Note that at this point, I'm not stating Galway is any better, although from what I know of their film society they do show on the whole better films).
    loqi wrote:
    we are of course speaking of people who are SEEKING culture , perhaps you would like it fed to you , through a straw. its getting more and more obvious to me that that is the case with you.

Ah yes, because you clearly know me so well. You presumptious fool. I quite happily seek out culture on my own, it's just that what I'm looking for isn't on offer in Cork. It's getting more and more obvious to me (and hell, let's be honest here, it was obvious from the start) that you're a bit of a - no in fact a total moron : you have to insult anyone disagreeing with you, you fail utterly to accept or even acknowledge any argument made that disagrees with your point of view, and to cap it all off you go to an internet message board to try (and fail, I might add) to take the piss out of people....on internet message boards. Well done there, chief. Here, have a medal :

medal.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

and now, after that brief commercial interlude, PART II:
    loqi wrote:
    and on the god damn mother****ing housing issue , for the 6th , or maybe 7th time - both places suffer from it yes i know i said so , but , like i said , cork has a mother****ing city to deal with it/quote]

Congratulations. Only, as I've pointed out most of Cork "City" is actually not city, just urban sprawl that doesn't contribute anything except crappy-looking buildings. The housing looks every bit as crap as you were claiming it does in Galway. The fact that a lot of it is centralised doesn't make a difference. Go and look at Togher and the area that leads back to the city. Is it any better that it's a bunch of for the most part crappy looking housing, just because it's in the vicinity of the city? I don't think so.
    loqi wrote:
    you thick gob****e ...i wouldnt mind if you were a different person rehashing the same point , but its the second time its been explained to you , and you say the same thing again. jesus... if you want to debunk my point , do so. my point was never that cork has no middle classes , or housing sprawl. now assuming you may tell me that cork cant cope with the sprawl , i will tell you galway can cope even less so. and i wont be wrong. at least , as i said , cork city has something positive going on , amongst the madness. please dont repeat anything thats been said. because that means i'll have to repeat myself. mongjaw. :mad: you spent too much time under your mammies wing , and up your own hole to know anything from experience.

Wow. So, I'm a gobsh*te for repeatedly making a point that you've failed to address. And that feeble unqualified attempt at a pre-emptive response has certainly put me in my place - no longer shall I try to argue the case, no sir! I will even desist in pointing out that there's loads of land developers trying to attract the middle class and their stable financial situations down to Cork - such is the conviction instilled in me by your unoriginal insults. Oh, and how could I forget the claim that I must be a mammy's boy for disagreeing with you? And a mammy's boy up my own hole, no less. Because nobody in their right mind could disagree with you, could they? You of the elevated cultural awareness, you who think that "mongjaw" is a valid insult to hurl around in a multicultural and diverse city, you who thinks that everyone should expect and accept that living in a city equates to getting mugged by a scumbag once in a while?

Jesus.

but you are a mong...your web comic proves it. this debate is just fantasy , no matter what is said you will just try to parry it. heh , and this is the only tread i plan on having any involvement in , i like to finish what i start - hence my continued involvement.
    you mock me for having ideals. tsk tsk. you only compound your snotty character with such glib dismissals of what is a righteous cause.
    so if i had not noted i wasnt an expert it would be a less ridiculous criticism? no. im just being honest with you , i know my opinion is a valid one from sharing it with people i know are more then qualified to criticise , and experienced in a handful of martial arts , the peeps i saw in galway , have a long long long way to go. you dont need to rehash anything i've said , which is what that entire retort was. i have to say , i loved the FAQ on your webpage....haha - are there people out there who actually ask you those questions frequently ? it stinks of your own involvement. like the contrived prick you are....the only moment your most recent remarks had an air of truth to them was when you spoke of occurences in UCC , the rest just seems struggled , and made up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

loqi wrote:
    but you are a mong...your web comic proves it. this debate is just fantasy , no matter what is said you will just try to parry it. heh , and this is the only tread i plan on having any involvement in , i like to finish what i start - hence my continued involvement.
    you mock me for having ideals. tsk tsk. you only compound your snotty character with such glib dismissals of what is a righteous cause.
    so if i had not noted i wasnt an expert it would be a less ridiculous criticism? no. im just being honest with you , i know my opinion is a valid one from sharing it with people i know are more then qualified to criticise , and experienced in a handful of martial arts , the peeps i saw in galway , have a long long long way to go. you dont need to rehash anything i've said , which is what that entire retort was. i have to say , i loved the FAQ on your webpage....haha - are there people out there who actually ask you those questions frequently ? it stinks of your own involvement. like the contrived prick you are....the only moment your most recent remarks had an air of truth to them was when you spoke of occurences in UCC , the rest just seems struggled , and made up.

Is punctuation a tool of capitalist oppression? Tell me! Liberate the masses!

loqi wrote:

There's a marked tendency in your posts for you to criticize people without any real basis or justification in doing so, without making any sort of worthwhile contribution or useful suggestions. One can't help but suspect that had you tried to encourage more man-on-the-street involvement in cultural events up in Galway, in the same way as the WMC are doing down here, you might be less frustrated. But it's quite apparent from your posts you're more interested in complaining and attempting to belittle people, places, activities and events than actually getting involved in something that meets your alleged standards.

re : capoeira - if you'd criticised people and not admitted upfront that you knew nothing about it, I'd have asked what you knew about it and what your relevant experience was, and then arrived back at the same conclusion I've already reached (ie you're an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about).

re : my webcomic. Wow, look, I'm crying. You're the first person who ever said anything horrible about it, and furthermore your own attempts at an equivalent project clearly put mine to shame. Oh, wait.

You may find your pathetic attempts at a flamewar amusing; the rest of us grew out of that when we hit puberty. Why don't you go get acquainted with the folks in the prison forum - at this rate you'll be headed there pretty soon.

lol :d

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

loqi Your a joke, seem so i origianlly posted this post id love to clear ever 1 of loqi's messages your a toss pot (putting it mildly) please don't post threads after smoking the 5 Joints you bought from your middle class buddies on patrick street

• Advertisement

ha , i thought i was the one who resorted to petty insults and averted the points raised. what festivals were you referring to , the monthly ones in galway?
    oh...and lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

God close this thread pleaseeeeeeeeeee

Can't, the moderator resigned, the selfish bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

KittyKat wrote:
    Theres no way on earth that another city in Ireland is going to replace Cork as the second largest city in Ireland. ;) Get the shovels lads and make way for more buildings!! :)
    I know both Cork and Limerick very well and true cork is bigger but not by a whole load, But both cities need their boundries much farther out like Galway, Both cities are much bigger than galway its just they only counted within the boundry (which they should) so its really cork and limerick county council's fault for this news.

No offence to you Galway people but Galway has no chance or catching up to Limerick or Cork
    Next they will be telling us that Galway will be bigger than Dublin in 25-30yrs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Just to let ya know galway city is bigger than Limerick regardless of boundry extension or not Limericks Population figures are over exagerated and always inlclude shannon and sometimes nenagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

thank allah and the seven seas of judah that sense reigned supreme on the final posts. may a thousand virgins of istahnbul be bestowed upon the righteous and wise and myself , the royal subject of hUMdallah. hmm , looks like corks got some st patricks day festival going on , nothing of international worth per se , but kicks ten shades of cultural ****e out of any toss thats being spewed to the hounds of gaillimh. the lowly quadripeds , who feed from the trough of conceptual toss and finances of make believe , walls of drab and skies of interminable grey.

oh , and for the third time , jammyd you repugnant sliver of horse sh1t - tell me this - what are the monthly festivals you claim are occuring in galway? you lying pig. answer me , or be damned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement