Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article:Uefa sets foreign player limits

• 03-02-2005 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Uefa has announced clubs competing in the Champions League and Uefa Cup will have to include four homegrown players in their 25-man squad from 2006.
    Europe's governing body also wants to implement the plan in domestic leagues but that will have to be agreed by each national association.

Uefa then wants six homegrown players by 2007 and eight in 2008.

Of the eight, at least four must be trained by the club's own academy and the rest from the home country.

Uefa defines a club-trained player as one who has been registered for a minimum of three seasons with the club between the age of 15 and 21.

Of the 32 sides in last season's Champions League, five clubs would have not had enough homegrown players.

They are: Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Ajax.

Uefa's 52 member associations will vote on whether the same rule should apply to domestic competitions at a Congress in Tallinn, Estonia in April.

There has already been strong opposition voiced by the Premier League and the Italian federation.

Taken from BBC.co.uk

I didn't think many clubs would have any issues with this but it's interesting to note the 5 clubs from last season.

It's a good move in my opinion, question I have does homegrown mean they have to be a citizen of the country in which they play? Like would John O'Shea be considered home grown even do he's Irish ( I know he would be considered a club-trained player)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see the G14 taking this lying down, especially considering the clubs that don't meet the standards. I expect to see a watered down version introduced instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I dont think this will ever come in. It breaks EU employment laws in a way. Preventing people from working in foreign countries based on their nationality.

I can see a player going to the courts, a la Bosman, to take exception to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Its a stupid rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

irish1 wrote:

It's a good move in my opinion, question I have does homegrown mean they have to be a citizen of the country in which they play? Like would John O'Shea be considered home grown even do he's Irish ( I know he would be considered a club-trained player)?

A homegrown player can be from any country just has been brought throgh the ranks of the club
    Uefa defines a club-trained player as one who has been registered for a minimum of three seasons with the club between the age of 15 and 21.

If O'Shea fulfulls the that requirement, he would be considered a home grown player.

This bit is confusing
    Uefa then wants six homegrown players by 2007 and eight in 2008.

Of the eight, at least four must be trained by the club's own academy and the rest from the home country.

Do they mean 4 home grown players from other clubs within the home country or 4 home grown players from the home country trained by the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Draupnir wrote:
    I dont think this will ever come in. It breaks EU employment laws in a way. Preventing people from working in foreign countries based on their nationality.

I can see a player going to the courts, a la Bosman, to take exception to it.

I do not think it is based on nationality at all. UEFA cannot be that stupid considering Bosman. I think it is based on where a player started his football. A club can have home grown players from 4 different countries as long as they have all come through the youth set up of the club.

Good idea but it might be a nightmare to manage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Would explain this fairly well not one to sit on the fence, wondered why Utd snapped up every half decent 15 year old last season and continuing to do so.

Arsenal at it as well seems if they play in youths as A Dub said they homegrown.

Wondering about that home country thing too, its a superb idea imo. For international football that is in the big leagues , ireland fcuked tho..

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaC wrote:
    Wondering about that home country thing too, its a superb idea imo. For international football that is in the big leagues , ireland fcuked tho..
    I think it will actually benefit the Irish players. More Irish players coming through the ranks at clubs will be in their clubs European squads (not even squads, just registered to play for their tea, in Europe). If a player wasn't at that club for 3 years between the ages of 15-21 and still can't make the a 25-man squad then he's just not good enough.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

tbh i think this is being introduced because of chelsea. Don't really know what to make of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Gangsta wrote:
    tbh i think this is being introduced because of chelsea. Don't really know what to make of it.
    How do you come to that then ?

Arsenal have two in their prem squad with any kind of first team experience.

Chelsea have 5/6, united have a similar amount, as do the Pool and Newcastle. So if this is all Chelsea's fault, then why is it not the fault of the other clubs i have mentioned ?

Gangsta wrote:
    because of Chelsea? Why? Mourinho said he prefers a squad of 23. All he has to do is add 2 players from the reserves to the European squad. Terry and Lampard will be there for the forseeable future so he can then have 21 foreign players in the squad if he likes (not that he would want that).

• Advertisement

because of the spending spree chelsea have been having over the past 2yrs is probly why uefa brought this in and to curb other clubs doin it. i could be wrong but its a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

As opposed to Real madrid who were bankrolled by the spanish king for years ?

Wayne Bridge
    Glen Johnson
    Joe Cole
    Frank Lampard
    Scott Parker

Do you know what they all have in common ? They all play for Chelsea on a close to regular basis (barring parker) and they are all english. There are more english players in the squad too so tey will be fine for a couple of iterations of this ruling.

I know that you have a right to your opinion but yours that FIFA have decided to clamp down on the number of players a team has from their country in the two premier club competitions in Europe is purely because of ONE club in their is ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Gangsta wrote:
    because of the spending spree chelsea have been having over the past 2yrs is probly why uefa brought this in and to curb other clubs doin it. i could be wrong but its a possibility.
    Well if this is their way of clamping down on high spending clubs then it is a pathetic attempt at doing so.
    To clamp down on high spending clubs you have to introduce caps on how much you pay for players and how much you pay your squad.
    Only when UEFA or the FA address this situation can someone say that they are doing it 'because of Chelsea'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

UEFA defines a club trained or homegrown player as one who has been registered for a minimum of three seasons with the club between the ages of 15 and 21.

UEFA defines a club trained or homegrown player as one who has been registered for a minimum of three seasons with the club between the ages of 15 and 21.
    A homegrown player is also one who is from the home country.

As opposed to Real madrid who were bankrolled by the spanish king for years ?

Wayne Bridge
    Glen Johnson
    Joe Cole
    Frank Lampard
    Scott Parker

Do you know what they all have in common ? They all play for Chelsea on a close to regular basis (barring parker) and they are all english. There are more english players in the squad too so tey will be fine for a couple of iterations of this ruling.

I know that you have a right to your opinion but yours that FIFA have decided to clamp down on the number of players a team has from their country in the two premier club competitions in Europe is purely because of ONE club in their is ludicrous.
    fair enough i see your point. Then what do you believe is the reason for this new law?

Gangsta wrote:
    fair enough i see your point. Then what do you believe is the reason for this new law?
    I posted a thread on this about a year back, can't seem to find it in search though. Anyway, it was to do with helping football from the grassroots.

Advertisement