Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System of a down concerts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Skip

Any info online about SOAD's tour dates in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

all the dates are on their site , www.systemofadown.com , its under reconstruction so jus go to news they all listed there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ph3n0m wrote:
    that never happened, that was the story MCD claimed happened - what really happened was disastrous ticket sales for Slipknot
    really? i would have thought slipknot's show would have sold out no problem, given the concert was at the peak of their popularity (when they were fresh)... i remember being so disappointed when i had to bring back my ticket to get a refund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

but their popularity was over in america, not over here. plenty of "new" bands try to come to Ireland, only to fail miserably - nothing to be ashamed of, unless you are a boy band :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm asbsolutely stunned by this thread.

There are actually people who think what System of a Down did at Ozzfest was a good show? I've seen wedding bands that were tighter and posessed far more ability to play their instruments. The only time they were any good was when the guitar player did his little Sultans of Swing bit. Honestly lads and ladies, I'm not trying to have a go, but if you thought that was good, then you really need to go to some proper gigs (anything - not just metal). It was an absolute disgrace and it shows what SOAD thought of playing in Ireland if they didn't even have enough respect to keep their heads together enough to play a decent set.

As for the Tool debate - I'm not a big fan of Tool, but there's a big place I the world for them and I certainly have huge respect for them, but it was the wrong sort of band and show to end that day on. Metallers need to get heavier and heavier and madder and madder and when you're so hyped up you want to slaughter the contents of the nearest old folks home (or creche) - BANG! - slow drawn out stuff - WHAT?!!??! All the old skool (that hadn't just turned around when they heard about Ozzy) had fupped off after Slayer and of the remaining thousands (only about 2/3 the original crowd left at that stage of the evening), I'd say about half were happy with Tool - other's just went home.

Again I say, Slayer were the perfect band to finish the day - they finished the day for me. I had no interest in the Tool experience - neither did my mates.

The thing is - Ireland - too few in the music industry really care about our small little country cause they don't make anywhere near as much money out of us as others (we have only ourselves to blame - we allowed Louis Walsh to live) - the evidence was there when Mr Osbourne didn't even come over to wave to the fans and apologise in person - he was too busy having the craic at home in England.

But seriously, trust me on System - go to your local metal band's next gig and see - anything would be better than what they played. As I said previously, I would have considered myself a big fan of theirs and to have borne witness to that farce left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Never listen to them now (and I still lash on my Oasis CDs occasionally from when I listened to them nearly 10 years ago).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

niallith wrote:
    soad were by far best act. slayer were v good tho!

Are you for real pal!?!?
    The best act of that day was by far Drowning Pool.
    That band had everythign you could want from a show, great music, talented musicians who had their **** together and uttely fantastic stage presence, one that I have only ever seen bested by Corey Taylor.
    The only thing lacking was a decent light show, but with an outdoor day gig we couldn't expect much.

As for Slayer, I'm a big fan of Slayer, but at an oudoor gig, they are about as entertaining as listening to one of their c.d.'s. A good performance all the same though...just not the best of the day.

S.O.A.D. were a bit of a let down I felt.I liek them as much as anybody esle but their show was so bare. Don't know what yer man was sayign about them not having their **** together...I believe they had their **** together, just that it sounded very bare.

As to settle the other debates...
    Rammstein were not banned from playing here, a gig has never been booked because there simply isn't enoguh demand for one.
    You may have been confusing this with a gig they were to do somewhere in England when they were told to ditch a **** load of their pyrotechnics or they would be arrested as terrorists.

The Slipknot gig here did not suffer poor ticket sales by any means...the tickets sold at a decent enough rate, the gig was cancelled as the promoters backed out because of the complaints they were getting from the 'parents association'.

I wish i could of went ,,,,,but im really hoping to see system this summer :)

Are you for real pal!?!?
    The best act of that day was by far Drowning Pool.
    That band had everythign you could want from a show, great music, talented musicians who had their **** together and uttely fantastic stage presence, one that I have only ever seen bested by Corey Taylor.
    The only thing lacking was a decent light show, but with an outdoor day gig we couldn't expect much.

i wasn't a big fan of drowning pool (i had heard the singles though), but thought they were excellent on the day. as were ill nino. the guy from dp coming out to do "primitive" (i think) was quite a nice touch. bought their album and was disappointed... but i disagree on the stage precense thing. they don't come close to the same kind of stage presence that slipknot have...

but i disagree on the stage precense thing. they don't come close to the same kind of stage presence that slipknot have...

...that's why I said Corey is the only man that has bested Dave Williams.
    Though you have to admit that Drowning Pool had the bets stage peresence of all the bands that played that day.

The Slipknot gig here did not suffer poor ticket sales by any means...the tickets sold at a decent enough rate, the gig was cancelled as the promoters backed out because of the complaints they were getting from the 'parents association'.

I hate to correct you, but the concert was not cancelled because of the parents association, it was due to poor ticket sales - the parents association excuse was something that MCD ran with to cover the poor sales - I mean if that was the case about this "Parents Association" getting Slipknot cancelled - why didnt they get them cancelled when the supported Metallica?

• Advertisement

ou i was there metallica and system fannytastic!

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I hate to correct you, but the concert was not cancelled because of the parents association, it was due to poor ticket sales - the parents association excuse was something that MCD ran with to cover the poor sales - I mean if that was the case about this "Parents Association" getting Slipknot cancelled - why didnt they get them cancelled when the supported Metallica?

Well I hate to correct you but...the concert was not cancelled because of ticket sales, that's the statement that MCD themselves released.
    All the posters had been covered over with banners saying 'cancelled due to lack of demand.'

But you are right in one part, the 'Parents Association' did not get it cancelled..heck they shouldn't even have been involved as it was an over eighteens gig...so I researched this myself.
    They simply complained enough untill MCD backed out.
    The reason Slipknot weren't cancelled at Metallica was quite simply because Aiken Promotions were incharge of that and they saw the money that could be made.

Also, there were legions of Slipknot fans amongst the 35,000 people at Metallica, a decent proportion to hold a gig in the Point.

Anyway...Sliknot themselves released a statement on their website a month after explaining what had happened, and they themselves gave the same story about the 'Parents Association.'
    If there had been poor ticket sales then they would have simply changed the venue.

Anyway...Sliknot themselves released a statement on their website a month after explaining what had happened, and they themselves gave the same story about the 'Parents Association.'
    If there had been poor ticket sales then they would have simply changed the venue.
    Yes, a band as well marketed as Slipknot is going to publicly say "we suck so much we can't sell a big show in Ireland and our record company won't let us play a small venue for the fans cause we love them so much"...

:rolleyes: Cop yourself on. It should have said, "Thanks MCD for giving us a good excuse for not having to go to that small country where it pisses rain and they can't afford to buy our CDs."

Don't get me wrong, there's a place in my world for Slipknot, but they've fallen from grace as far as I'm concerned - dump Corey Taylor and them clown and long nose funk wits and become the savage metal band the world wants them to be! Ever hear Joey Jordison's early band Anal Blast? It's frighteningly good stuff!

Kharn wrote:
    Ever hear Joey Jordison's early band Anal Blast? It's frighteningly good stuff!

Aye and ever heard of Joey playing with Metallica when Lars was ill during Download - superb stuff - and he made a mockery of what Lars used to do, by making its/sounding 10 times better

and senordingdong - I would love to see proof of your investigation, please prove me wrong about the following - I mean you do admit

"All the posters had been covered over with banners saying 'cancelled due to lack of demand.'"

Because I did aquick search and there is no single parents association - there are a number of different associations and council within the Dublin area alone - so which one was it then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

slipknot unpopular? I never!!! when i saw them at metallica ppl werent really expecting much from them but about 5 seconds in the whole crowd fukin loved em.when we all got down on the ground for heritic anthem omg!

and anyway system gigs,come to download festival in donnington june 10th to 12th first to days are eh ok black sabbath etc but day 3 owns;System of a down, slipknot and slayer.This will be the best concert ive been to :) if you dont want to go to that go to furyfest in france about 25th of june with about 90 or so metal bands enjoy see yee there etc.

Tool finishing ozzfest is lol they should have played first cos after soad(even if they didnt live up to expectations) and slayer im afraid they couldnt expect the crowd to be psyched up.if they played first all the better.build up to Angel of Death and Raining Blood i say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Its for Spit it Out that you "Get The F.uck Down"

I really want to see System of a Down but alas forces conspiring against me mean i cannot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The funny thing is Slipknot managed to play Belfast's Odessey Arena (which is significantly larger than the Point) a year or two later.

The funny thing is Slipknot managed to play Belfast's Odessey Arena (which is significantly larger than the Point) a year or two later.

No it doesn't, I was at that gig, the odyssey would hold about one third of what the point can hold.

Ph3n0m-I will admit that I only saw once poster with the banner pasted over it.
    And don't expect me to have hard proof of what happend 5years ago.

I believe it was the Catholics Parents Association of Ireland.
    I'm not 100% sure but I could check it out if it really matters to you.

Two friends of mind wrote to them asking why they had the gig cancelled.
    In the reply, the writer stated that they didn't get it cancelled as they don't have the power, but that they protested about some of the rules and the promoters backed out.

Slipknot were the last band to play at Fury Fest last year and they were booed and bottled off the stage - goes to show you what the more "in-depth" metal fans think of them - by that I mean Metallica are popular in the main-stream - lots of non-metallers love them and would go to see them. Those people were thankfully lacking at Fury Fest. Face it, Slipknot have no credibility or respect amongst the people they claim to be writting their music for.

As for Joey playing for Lars - not trying to take away from Mr Jordison (I think he's absolutely mental), I could replace Lars and do a better job ffs :rolleyes: He's one of the worst drummers in metal - but that's another debate for another thread.

Kharn wrote:
    Slipknot were the last band to play at Fury Fest last year and they were booed and bottled off the stage - goes to show you what the more "in-depth" metal fans think of them -

That's irrelevant, even though I don't beleive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

No it doesn't, I was at that gig, the odyssey would hold about one third of what the point can hold.

I know that the Odyssey has a capacity of 10,000, and that the Point holds 8,000, so they probably cut off sections of the Odyssey specifically for that gig (which makes sense perhaps :rolleyes:)

Kharn wrote:
    Slipknot were the last band to play at Fury Fest last year and they were booed and bottled off the stage - goes to show you what the more "in-depth" metal fans think of them - by that I mean Metallica are popular in the main-stream - lots of non-metallers love them and would go to see them. Those people were thankfully lacking at Fury Fest. Face it, Slipknot have no credibility or respect amongst the people they claim to be writting their music for.

i heard about that and was pretty surprised. i know plenty of people who dislike slipknot but think they put on a fantastic live show. plenty of people were won over at the metallica gig.

and what's an "in-depth" metal fan?

originally posted by Kharn
    As for Joey playing for Lars - not trying to take away from Mr Jordison (I think he's absolutely mental), I could replace Lars and do a better job ffs He's one of the worst drummers in metal - but that's another debate for another thread.

Dav dont even go there !Lars is fantastic , hes a brilliant drummer , jeez! :rolleyes:

and what's an "in-depth" metal fan?

My guess would be that an 'in-depth' metal fan is one of those elitest types with leather pants, hear down to their ass, who only listen to foreign super fast, thrash, speed metal bands.
    The type that are forty years old still living in their parents house, sponging, playing guiatar and waitign for that big break that's just around the corner.

You'll find them at a Slayer gig, or in Bruxxels/Fibbers on a Saturday night.

My guess would be that an 'in-depth' metal fan is one of those elitest types with leather pants, hear down to their ass, who only listen to foreign super fast, thrash, speed metal bands.
    The type that are forty years old still living in their parents house, sponging, playing guiatar and waitign for that big break that's just around the corner.

You'll find them at a Slayer gig, or in Bruxxels/Fibbers on a Saturday night.

ouch if i wasnt so elitist I would compose a 16 minute song, complete with 2 5 minute solos, weeping about what you said. :)

Plus I dont live with my folks anymore :)

Plus I have a job :) (no, not stacking shelves)

Oh and I dont play guitar :)

I'm too fat to wear leather pants, and never have - the noise of my thighs rubbing together hurts my ears :)

Well in that case all super fast, thrash, speed metal bands are foriegn - since Ireland doesnt produce any :)

Oh yeah and my hair isnt all the way to my ass :D I dont know anyone with "hear"

Sorry you were guessing at what an "in-depth metal fan" is?

oh and arent slipknot "foreign"?

my hairs just about all the way to my ass , can i join the club ?

The I'm sorry to break it to you Ph3n0m...you're just not an 'in-depth' metal fan.

Slipknot are foreign, yeah, but I wasn't flame baiting, just cracking a funny reply to projectmayhems funny question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Erm - no. The Oddessy is a substantially bigger venue than the point. You can see this as soon as you walk in.

And that aside, who really cares why a slipknot concert was cancelled years ago - the sad fact is, System of a Down aren't playing Ireland, Damnit!

You'r right it is bigger, but at the gig they weren't using the seats...you could only buy standing tickets, therefore making the number of tickets available smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

Kharn wrote:

As for Joey playing for Lars - not trying to take away from Mr Jordison (I think he's absolutely mental), I could replace Lars and do a better job ffs :rolleyes: He's one of the worst drummers in metal - but that's another debate for another thread.

So just because you can play a bit of his stuff you instantly think you're better than him
    The drumming fits the music perfectly and sure as hell i think lars is fantastic too

No disrespect to dimebag and james but i can play a bit of their stuff on giutar ....so according to your philosophy ...thats makes me better than them !?!?!

I think not :rolleyes:

Advertisement