Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Vs Vale Tudo

• 03-02-2005 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

What is the difference s between MMA and Vale Tudo?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Vale Tudo (meaning Anything Goes in Brazilian Portuguese) is the term that has been used for to describe brazilian "no rules" fighting that has been going on for decades. General VT rules disqualify gouging and biting. Everything else tends to be allowed. Early UFC is Vale Tudo.

MMA or Mixed Martial Arts is the term used for the sport these days where groin strikes, downwards elbow, headbutts etc are disallowed. MMA competitions include Pride FC and modern day UFC.

AFAIK most brazilians still call MMA vale tudo even though they mightnt necessarily fight VT rules (or lack of).

Hope that helps.

You'll probably find a more thorough explanation on wikipedia or the like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭john kavanagh

MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

in the early 90's people started to mix various martial arts together trying to find the perfect blend. pretty much every successful modern day martial arts competitor trains a mix of Muay Thai/boxing, Wrestling and BJJ (Stand-up, Clinch and Ground)

Vale Tudo - Brasilian for 'Anything Goes'

the name given to the competitive format made famous by the Gracie family where 2 guys would fight with no protection and very few rules (no gouging, biting or fishhooking) until one tapped out or was knocked out.

modern day MMA competition such as UFC or Pride is a watered down version of this earlier 'sporting' format

try and get a hold of Irish Fighter magazine, i have an article about this in it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

cheers thanks lads. I always wondered the difference.

I remember back in 93 or 94 when I lived in canada watching the first eveer UFC which gracie won, a boxer with one glove, a sumo wrestler who fell and got his teeth kicked out, and a Dutch thai boxer who as far as I can remember made it to the final.

Back then it seemed people represented a style of fighting,one guy was of kenpo, I remember but it seemed they all had beefed up on thai boxing and grappling. I certainly looked really tough and very very challening!

It is interesting how it has changed over the years. Best of luck with the upcoming event in the point. Hope Irish team cleans up! I am sure your all training hard at this stage..keep off the pints! : - )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nirish

Brasilian?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

nirish wrote:

Brasilian?????????

Ah! So it's called after a Saturday morning RTE young peoples program?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Brasilian - A version (dialect) of Portugeuse spoken in Brazil/Brasil. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nirish

amazing what you can learn on this board. thank you for the clarification.

Advertisement