Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depache Mode, any good?

Options
  • 03-02-2005 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Ive been listening to personal jesus and was just wonderin if any of their other material is any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Great band. Personally I prefer the stuff from Violator, Songs Of Faith And Devotion and Ultra, but there's some pretty diverse stuff on there which may not be everyone's cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The early stuff is a bit light and fluffy, not very good. Once the singer got into heroin they started getting deadly. There are two best of's, the one that covers the latter years is worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

fitzer666 wrote:
    Ive been listening to personal jesus and was just wonderin if any of their other material is any good?

Ever heard ' enjoy the silence', if not thats another one of their big hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Depeche Mode - deadly band with two very distinct periods. I like the early stuff, reminds me of being a young one at the disco- just can't get enough ....-. Violator is a good all round album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

John2 wrote:
    The early stuff is a bit light and fluffy, not very good. Once the singer got into heroin they started getting deadly. There are two best of's, the one that covers the latter years is worth checking out

Yep Totally agree, get the second one, its just bleedin' deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

depeche mode are excellent, although they had their fair share of dodgy songs. Definitely purchase the second "best of" collection (singles 86>98), its well worth it if you want to get to know them a bit better. I suppose violator or music for the masses would be my two favourite albums, check those out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

cheers, will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

try violater, ultra and violater.
    also if you like that stuff you may like mainstream paradise lost stuff like Host and the album with "say just words" on it.
    try violater as well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Best off Schmest offs

get the proper albums

Violater
    Music for the Masses
    Some great Reward
    Songs of faith and devotion
    Construction time again

are all great albums as are most depeche mode albums

altough stick to Violater/Songs of faith and devotion if you only like rock music as you may not like the others if youre not a big synth fan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Personal Jesus is a Johnny Cash cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

After all, they are the biggest synth-band on the planet. If you want to hear earlier stuff I wouldnt listen to their first CD Speaks and spells - I would rather purchase The Best Of Yazoo , where you get all of Vince Clarke´s electronic sounds and melody hooks but instead of a very inmajure Dave Gahan you´ll get a brilliant Alsion Moyet.

From Violator onwards the band really shined each time although their 2001 release Exciter is only half as exciting as the title suggests.

Advertisement