Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's that time of year again...

Options
  • 03-02-2005 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

So it's time to build a new PC.

I'm not sure of what processor to base the system around so I need some opinions. I will be using the system for gaming, amongst other stuff.

Choice 1:
    AMD 64 3500+ 90nm
    DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D

Should this overclock well enough? What RAM should I get, PC3200/PC4000?

Choice 2:
    Intel Pentium 4 550 (3.4Ghz)
    Asus P5AD2 Premium

I know this will OC well but will it be better than the AMD 64?

I will be using water-cooling on whatever I get for chipset, CPU and GPU.
    At the moment I am leaning towards the AMD 64 myself?
    I just want advice/opinions, especially from those who run such systems.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

:D

I'll let you know on sunday how i get on with mine..

A63 s939 3800+
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Geforce 6800 GT x2
    corsair XMS pro 2-2-2-5 pc3200

gonna watercool the cpu and 2 gpu's myself...should be intresting.

Did you see the review of the DFI board :

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337

wish me luck,
    CC

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

WizZard wrote:
    Choice 1:
    AMD 64 3500+ 90nm
    DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D

Similar to what i want - 3500+ looks nearly as good as the 3.6 intel and slightly ahead of the 3.4 intel. Also 64 bit Xp soon so would go AMD IMO.

have fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

SLI on the p4 mobo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

SLI on the p4 mobo?
    Soon yes, but not yet - at least I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I heard that the 3500 doesnt overclock much. You will probably get the same with a 3000 if not more. RAM wise, get a TCCD RAM, either OCZ or GSkills I'd suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

CombatCow - where are you getting your kit from and how much is it costing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Erm i already have all the stuff, just have to put it together over the WE into a new case. Got the parts from overclockers.co.uk and hitide.ie and komplett.ie

It's costing monies... a lot of em ;)
    Theres some pics down there in my album

CC

neokenzo wrote:
    I heard that the 3500 doesnt overclock much
    Thougt that was only the Newcastle - thought the Winnie was supposed to be ok for OC

Itwill still O'C okay but chances are you wont be able to O'C it as much as either the 3000 or 3200 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

What will it OC to? This is interesting and could change what I buy!

• Advertisement

3000 will probably get you around 2.6-2.7G. So will the 3500.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

you can get a good idea here where it will top out

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2242

Dataisgod wrote:
    you can get a good idea here where it will top out

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2242

See what you mean !!!!!!

Ah yes. Looks like the only difference will be price, which is mucho important. So would you recommend a 3200+ or 3000+ instead?
    I notice Anandtech didn't OC the 3200+. Should it reach the same/very similar OC? The ideal (for me) would be to OC to ~2.5Ghz stable for day to day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah the 3200+ should give a similar overclock to the 3000+. however nothing will be guaranteed etc and you might like to know you have the stock speed of the 3500+ in the bag if you buy it.

saying that if you buy the 3000+/3200+ you can save quite a bit of cash (which you say yourself is very important) and you may still reach the speeds you would reach with the 3500+. with regards to the 3000+/3200+ think theres about 50quid in the price difference and the 3200+ will give you access to a higher multiplier, just something to bear in mind.

with regards to ram i'd being going for tccd chips also

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304349&cks=PRL

something like this will let you ramp up the FSB no bother

Yeah, I'd like to have the option of having a good stock speed on the offchance that I get a lower quality chip. But, I may just go for the 3200+ and use the savings to get better RAM.

WizZard wrote:
    Yeah, I'd like to have the option of having a good stock speed on the offchance that I get a lower quality chip. But, I may just go for the 3200+ and use the savings to get better RAM.

Mmmmmmm...........of that option now as well. Thanks lad.
    Nice RAM and a different heatsink for OC'in. Never OC a CPU so will be back to ye to ask questions.

Any advice on brands of RAM to get? Any preferences? I used Corsair in my last pC and it was great. May change this time to OCZ or Geil.
    Never heard of GSkill, but I'm guessing it's good as Neokenzo has it in that monster;) he built.

At the moment, the 2 best RAM imo are OZC PC3200 Vx or the GSkills PC4400 LE for 1G. The Vx can go up to 275 on tight timings but with high volts (you'll need a vodmod or ram booster) but if you want higher than 275 then go with GSkills but slight looser timings. But in general, any TCCD RAM should be good. Patriot are another good brand as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Be careful with the nForce 4 motherboards. A lot of them won't overclock well. Mine won't post beyond a htt of 233 and it seems to be a common enough problem.

• Advertisement

Well he's getting the DFI (good luck by the way, they are hard to find at the moment) which should overclock well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Advertisement