Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Wifi Equipment from the US

• 03-02-2005 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I'm on the lookout for a Linksys WPC54G wireless notebook card; if I buy a US one, will this work fine, or should I stick with one from a European seller?

P.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

many cards have a setting to choose EU or US, sometimes it's a firmware upgrade

if you are stuck with US then it just means you can't use channel 12 or 13 so your AP would have to use one of the first 11 channels

higher powered cards and boosters are not legal here - in the US you are allowed up to 40 times the EIRP power on point to point links than here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

oceanclub wrote:
    I'm on the lookout for a Linksys WPC54G wireless notebook card; if I buy a US one, will this work fine, or should I stick with one from a European seller?

P.

Why do you particularly want that one? Argos have a Belkin 'g' model which performed fine for me in a windows 98 laptop with a linksys wag54g wireless router. Its only 34 euros:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

True, but I was advised by network guru friends of mine to use like products with like. But if noone here thinks there would be a problem, I'd be tempted to go for the cheaper option!

P.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

oceanclub wrote:
    True, but I was advised by network guru friends of mine to use like products with like. But if noone here thinks there would be a problem, I'd be tempted to go for the cheaper option!

P.

Dont mind them:) Go to Argos - I am using a netgear pci card and a linksys wag54g to get this to you. I have an apple powerbook with an apple wireless card that also works fine with the linksys. And I have also used a laptop with the linksys router and that Belkin card from Argos and it worked fine.

The like with like is more relevant to the manufacturer's who are trying to move beyond the current 'g' standard and insist that to get the benefits of this you need to match like with like. But 'g' is more than sufficient for internet purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I ended up getting an NEC Wireless G PCMCIA card off ebay for $24 inc. P&P today - hope that compared favourably to Argos prices! :)

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

oceanclub wrote:

P.

All my wireless gear (including laptop biggrin.gif) is from the US. Exactly as Capt'n Midnight said - most have the option to choose US or Europe. The only minor problem I had was the power supply for the router - had to buy a new one here to cope with 220 Volts.

As with buying anything from the US, the only problem is if something doesn't work - sending it back and warranty can be a pain.

Advertisement